First Luxury Watch, Narrowed it down. Thoughts?

Hi
I’m in the market for my first luxury watch, and I’ve been focusing on the used market.

What I want:
•My budget is under $3k, and I’m looking for something that offers great value while still feeling modern and timeless...not vintage.
• I want a watch that looks as close as possible to the current models since I’m going pre owned mainly to save some cash.
• I’d also like it to be versatile enough for daily wear.
• Automatic Movement
• I'd be keeping it forever, and while I don't have children yet, maybe in the future passing it down. So I'd like something years from now will still be really cool to own.

So far, I’ve narrowed it down to two main options: the Omega Seamaster Diver 300M and the Omega Speedmaster. I have a 6.5-inch wrist.

Seamaster Diver 300M
I’m looking for a slimmer, smaller lug-to-lug compared to current model. I narrowed it down to the following.

2254.50.00- This seems to be a hot one. I see this recommended a lot.
2531.80.00 - This as well of course. The bond watch. Just worried it looks a little dated. Not sure if a bracelet change would help or not.
212.30.41.20.01.003- Thoughts on this?
Any of the "Mid Size" 36mm Options- Will this be too small?

Speedmaster
I love the Moonwatch design, but I’m not a fan of manual winding. I know I’d wear it less if I had to wind it frequently. Because of that, I’m more interested in an automatic model that keeps the Moonwatch aesthetic, which leads me to the Speedmaster Reduced (3510.50). My only concern is that it might wear too small and not have the presence of the moonwatch, but maybe I'm wrong

I'm open to other models of the seamster diver 300m that I haven't listed or any other speedmaster automatics that have the moonwatch look. Let me know your thoughts and what you think would be best to go with.

Thanks!

Out of the models you've listed, I'd do the 2254 all day every day. Everything else is cool too, but I would caution against getting a speedy reduced of your really want a moon watch.

Out of the models you've listed, I'd do the 2254 all day every day. Everything else is cool too, but I would caution against getting a speedy reduced of your really want a moon watch.
Yeah I see that a lot. Do you think 2254 would look good on 6.5 in wrists? As for the speedmaster, like I said I just can't see myself manual winding. I want to get use out of the watch and I know myself..it would be an "on occasion" type of watch if it was manual wind

Yeah I see that a lot. Do you think 2254 would look good on 6.5 in wrists? As for the speedmaster, like I said I just can't see myself manual winding. I want to get use out of the watch and I know myself..it would be an "on occasion" type of watch if it was manual wind

I think the 2254 should look fine (I think people worry way too much about watch to wrist ratios), but if you don't like the size, you could hunt down a 2252.50.00?

If you want an automatic and you really like it, the reduced is cool. I just don't think the proportions are as classic as the moon watch. But, plenty of people enjoy them.

I think the 2254 should look fine (I think people worry way too much about watch to wrist ratios), but if you don't like the size, you could hunt down a 2252.50.00?

If you want an automatic and you really like it, the reduced is cool. I just don't think the proportions are as classic as the moon watch. But, plenty of people enjoy them.

I just don’t know because I can’t try them on in regards to the proportions on wrist.

Same thing with the reduced I can’t just walk in somewhere and try it on

Don't get a reduced. 🤮 I bought one once and hated it more than any other watch I've ever handled, no exaggeration. I put it right back in the box and listed it.

If you want an automatic Speedmaster get a date.

Also, manage your expectations. These are not luxury watches, just dime-a-dozen mass-market commodity watches, no better than watches than you can buy for half or a third of the price with a different name on the dial. So don't expect too much.

I know you’re hating on the manual wind but it’s actually pretty easy and the Speedmaster has become my go-to travel watch. Adjusting the time is super easy. On most of my automatics I find they lose time on the bed stand and I have to adjust them in the morning anyways.

Don't get a reduced. 🤮 I bought one once and hated it more than any other watch I've ever handled. I put it right back in the box and listed it.

If you want an automatic Speedmaster get a date.
I just didn’t like how the date looks different compared to the Moonwatch
I know you’re hating on the manual wind but it’s actually pretty easy and the Speedmaster has become my go-to travel watch. Adjusting the time is super easy. On most of my automatics I find they lose time on the bed stand and I have to adjust them in the morning anyways.
not hating. The watch community loves to say buy what you’re going to wear until you say you know you won’t wear it as much because of a specific thing..

I appreciate the Reduced for what it is, but I think the "trouble" happens when people compare it (consciously or not) to a Moonwatch. So given that you say you love the Moonwatch, I would shy away from the Reduced. Also, part of loving the Moonwatch is that it is manual, so maybe you'd grow to appreciate winding it every couple of days? But if you're not sure, then maybe not worth taking the chance and having to resell. Also, I guess the cheapest Moonwatches are closer to $4k.

As for the Seamasters, I am a fan of the 2531.80, but partly because you can still get the tritium dials for almost no price premium, but since you say you're not really into vintage, maybe that's of no value to you? If that's the case, then I vote 212.30.41.20.01.003 over the 2254.50.00, but that's just because I prefer the aesthetic of the former. If you don't know which of those two aesthetics you prefer, maybe watch more videos, look at more pics, try to find some used ones local to try on, sleep on it, one of them should bubble to the top of your mind soon enough!

A Seamaster is a exelent choise; Rugged, stylish, slim, easy and cheap to get serviced, automatic, and 300m WR. The 2254.50 is a great watch, but I am biased 😀. Another one that I like is the first ceramic version with the glossy black dial
IMG_5409-1-8yA7RC40OnbNjpeg.jpgRef 212.30.41.20.01.003 pic from the net.

The mid size 36,25 mm versions have the same movements as the full size models, and I think they are a great alternative.

I will post some pictures of my 2254 on my 18.5 cm (7,3") wrist a bit later. Good luck with your choise and welcome to Omega Forum.
IMG_20240916_092245.jpg

IMG_20240916_092308.jpg

IMG_20240916_092726.jpg
Edited:

I have an Seamaster SMP 300 and I had a speedmaster, I sold it as it felt too big, although there is only 1mm in the difference the speedmaster wears big, I think the seamaster is the better of the two, especially if you have a smaller wrist, mine is 7”. I stress that these are my opinions only and If you can you should see if you can try them on, it would be a good idea. You are more likely to get a seamaster in your budget as well.
1000052907.jpeg 1000051804.jpeg

Wear it in bed!

Blackbay 58 is pretty hard to ignore in this.price bracket. And it's a good fit for 6.5 inch wrist. Price wise I'd say they good value used at the moment.

That said 2254 is a solid choice, but as others have said try a bunch of stuff on, and then take time to think it over, don't be rushed, there will always be another watch

Blackbay 58 is pretty hard to ignore in this.price bracket. And it's a good fit for 6.5 inch wrist. Price wise I'd say they good value used at the moment.

That said 2254 is a solid choice, but as others have said try a bunch of stuff on, and then take time to think it over, don't be rushed, there will always be another watch
That is a great suggestion. Depending on the size you like, the BB54 is also really good. I've seen it on a few people in person, and I think it has great vintage vibes. And, you can dive into a pool without having to think twice about it.

I actually went to an AD and tried on a bb58 and wasn’t impressed..also I am drawn to the omega brand a little more

You hit the nail on the head, buying what you like is the priority, focus on that.

I have an Seamaster SMP 300 and I had a speedmaster, I sold it as it felt too big, although there is only 1mm in the difference the speedmaster wears big, I think the seamaster is the better of the two, especially if you have a smaller wrist, mine is 7”. I stress that these are my opinions only and If you can you should see if you can try them on, it would be a good idea. You are more likely to get a seamaster in your budget as well.
1000052907.jpeg 1000051804.jpeg
After seeing that 212.30.41.20.01.003 it’s making me think of the nttd I looked it up on mesh and it looks great. I guess at first I didn’t “get it” because the dial was less detailed than the wave dials ..but I bet the black really looks deep in person IMG_0782.webp