Forums Latest Members

First Luxury Watch... And it's a Speedy! Weee

1. jpy1980 Dec 4, 2018

Hey guys!

What's up! I'm Julian!

Just bought myself a Sapphire sandwich Moonwatch as my first "real" luxury timepiece and I'm so excited! The model is a 311.30.42.30.01.006.

My decision was really between the Moonphase or the Moonwatch and chose the Sapphire sandwich due to it's heritage along with modern touches such as the clear case back with 1863 movement.

I bought it online at jomashop due to their aggressive Black Friday sales. Couldn't be happier with the price and watch, but I noticed a manufacturing defect on the case back just now. In the word "moon" the letter O seems like it hasn't been fully cut it. See the attached picture. I thought it was a fleck of metal and tried to take it out with the band removal tool causing a very fine scratch. Ugh.

I doubt I can return it now.

What do you guys think I should do to remedy the manufacturing defect? Should I just live with it or take it to the OB?

Still love the watch and know I made the right decision, but that O is starting to bug me! Darn that I made that little scratch!

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Julian

20181204_155741.jpg 20181204_162511.jpg
    ras47, Baz9614, nurseford25 and 3 others like this.
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Dec 4, 2018

It wouldn't bother me in the least. It makes it unique. Wear it in good health and welcome to the Omega Forum.

Pun, 89-0, superfly and 4 others like this.
  3. M'Bob Dec 4, 2018

Like the scratch on a new car: it's gonna happen, and now it's part of your personal history with the watch. I wouldn't let it bother me. Just enjoy it.

Pun, superfly, jpy1980 and 1 other person like this.
  4. jpy1980 Dec 4, 2018

Thanks for the kind replies!

I shall wear it and enjoy, as I am currently doing.

Yeah I plan on keeping this watch for a very long time and then giving it to my son when he's older, so not worried about resale value or what not.

BTW are these watches put together by hand or by machines? Just find it odd that QC let something like this get through the cracks.

superfly and blufinz52 like this.
  5. M'Bob Dec 4, 2018

I was looking more closely at it, and if you're a do-it-yourselfer who loves to live on the wild side, and potentially screw things up (I mean, more potently than you already did :) ), if it were me, and my personal penchant for doing that, I would probably lightly polish the scratch I made, and mask off the missing paint from your letter "O", and attempt a light fill-in with some dilute enamel black paint.

superfly, blufinz52 and jpy1980 like this.
  6. jpy1980 Dec 4, 2018

Ha!

I actually like living more on the mild side. As I just had a kid and gotten older, I'd rather pay people or just leave it be. Case in point, in a flash of inspiration mixed with black Friday deals, I bought some engine, transmission and differential fluid for my car along with a low profile Jack and Jack stands, thinking I would tackle the job myself, but now I'm thinking I'll just pay a mechanic to change it with the fluids I purchased. I haven't even taken the new floor jack to the garage yet. It's sitting next to my front door still in it's packaging. Haha.

BTW the O in moon isn't actually missing paint, the metal part of the case hasn't seemed to have been cut all the way. So it's not recessed like the rest of the O is. I hope that makes sense.

Julian

superfly, M'Bob and blufinz52 like this.
  7. RES13 Dec 4, 2018

Being that the caseback is against the wrist the majority of the time, wouldn’t bother me.

jpy1980 and superfly like this.
  8. absoluteczech Dec 4, 2018

Congrats on the new watch.

superfly and jpy1980 like this.
  9. nonono Dec 4, 2018

Beautiful piece, the scratch makes it uniquely yours. Wear it in good health!

superfly, Pun and jpy1980 like this.
  10. cholack Dec 5, 2018

A combination of machines and techs; to imagine that the volume of work required , it can only be done in this way

jpy1980 likes this.
  11. Mahavir Dec 5, 2018

I honestly think it adds cachet to the watch and really adds to the story. Be proud of it and definitely use it as a conversation piece at dinner parties!

jpy1980 likes this.
  12. WatchShopping Dec 5, 2018

Nice new watch. Good choice - the sapphire crystal is also more scratch resistant. Out of curiosity, besides their Black Friday sale, is there any reason why you chose Jomashop?

jpy1980 likes this.
  13. absoluteczech Dec 5, 2018

probably slickdeals effect heheh

14. WatchShopping Dec 5, 2018

Haha, possibly. I love your avatar, by the way!

absoluteczech likes this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 5, 2018

That’s probably why it was at Joma. That O got you a nice discount.

M'Bob and jpy1980 like this.
  16. absoluteczech Dec 5, 2018

thanks!

17. jpy1980 Dec 5, 2018

Not going to lie, it was the price. 37% off of MSRP was too hard to pass up.

superfly likes this.
  18. jpy1980 Dec 5, 2018

Ah touche.

Hmm never considered that, but with the savings, I could probably just buy a new case back and still be on top. Not going to do that, but good to know

19. Risto Dec 6, 2018

Top choice for the first proper watch! If the defect bothers then why not just replace the watch. I would.

jpy1980 likes this.
  20. vbrad26 Dec 6, 2018

Don't sweat the small stuff.
    If that bothers you then it's a good thing you didn't buy the hesalite version!
    Wear it and enjoy it. And of course, congrats.

jpy1980 likes this.