Forums Latest Members
  1. prostie1200 Jan 27, 2014

Only ever owning Omega's this watch really got to me, its on its way right now from the USA and my toes are curing somewhat at the import fees I will have to pay - so to ease my pain a little please tell me I have not made a completely Bum Buy - fingers crossed
    Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg Untitled-3.jpg Untitled-4.jpg Untitled-5.jpg Untitled-6.jpg Untitled-7.jpg

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 27, 2014

Very nice watch. I like the unique lugs, the guilloched dial, the hour markers and dot minute markers.
    Having original box surely add value to the package.
    However I am not sure about the script font and subdial cross hair.... hope it is not refinished.

3. ulackfocus Jan 27, 2014

It is a refinished dial, and the case is…. um….not exactly 'unique'.

[​IMG]

There were at least a dozen brands that used that design, frequently called "knotted lugs". The 22L is a decent movement though so if you didn't get raked over the coals you'll have a solid 14K watch.

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 27, 2014

Thanks for the info........I have a lot things to learn outside Omega brand (well I have a lot to learn inside Omega brand, too...:p)

5. ulackfocus Jan 27, 2014

Don't worry H. You've only been at it a little over a year. At the rate you're going you'll have all the knowledge and experience you'll ever need in a couple years.

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 27, 2014

7. Mothra Jan 27, 2014

Prosties does look cooler though....

8. Dablitzer Jan 27, 2014

Shame, as that textured outer portion of the dial is awesome. I can certainly see the attraction!

9. prostie1200 Jan 28, 2014

Sorry to contradict you, but I think if you look closely at my watch construction you will note that the Bezel and lugs are not an integral part of the carcase but are in fact Skeletonised and stand off from the main body of the watch.

As for the dial again my WM and expert in dial reconstruction is adamant that the dial is absolutely original

Brian

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 28, 2014

Hi Brian,

I'm afraid that whatever expertise your man may have, or claim to have, he is mistaken in this instance. I do not believe that any watch ever left the Longines factory with that sort of crude type font. Do a search for vintage Longines images and look at the style and fonts that were used. There is a clear distinction that, for some odd reason, your man has failed to take into account. I've posted one example below.

Of course you could send it to Longines if you remain unconvinced, but it would, in my view, be money poorly spent.

Sorry.

Regards,

Tony C.

[​IMG]

11. ulackfocus Jan 28, 2014

First, your watch's case is just a variation of that style. The watch was made by a case contractor (Ross, K&E, Star, L&K, Wadsworth, etc) and was used by other brands. I'm not the only one who's seen them Brian.

Second, I'm going to have gatorcpa and Tony C. give their opinions on your dial - particularly the font of LONGINES. Tony already hinted at it above, saying you should…..

….. which he then linked to another watch. Here's a picture of the watch taken from the listing:

$_3.JPG

Notice that it has serifs on the end of the strokes? Yours doesn't - the dead giveaway that it's a redial.

EDIT: I see Tony already commented as I was posting.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 28, 2014

There was a guilloche version of that dial made by Longines. Unfortunately Brian, your dial has been redone.

Actually, I think that the watch posted by Tony is a redial as well. The subseconds register wasn't printed out to the edge. Longines made other versions of the knotted lug case with plain dials and diamond bezels. Do a Google Image Search and you'll see what I mean.

Here's what the original dial should look like:

image.jpg
    You can can easily see the differences in the "Longines" font.

Your watch is very nice otherwise, and perhaps you can get it done over again correctly.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa