Forums Latest Members

First foray into the realm of vintage omega, good buy?

1. grandmascomputer Jan 16, 2015

I recently purchased

This Ref 166.0110 1971 Seamaster off EbayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Though I'm sure it will need a decent service, was this a decent buy?

Looks to be the original dial and hands, with a nice looking case back. Most likely the case and the back have been repolished though. The seller says that it has been recently serviced, but not by them which on ebay doesn't really mean much to me, however the gasket/seal in the back looks to be fairly new, so that is good.

I am also looking for some advice as to where to get this serviced in the PNW? The consensus from some searching seems that Nesbitt's is usually a favorite, is that still the case? I'm mostly looking for a service and a relume which would be a hand replacement. When I reached out to omega they stated that a service not including a relume would be $710 flat rate, will this be the price across the board?

Thanks for looking.

2. Castro Silva Jan 18, 2015

I'm also curious about the opinion of the community about this specific model and caliber 1002. As far as I could search, there isn´t much information about it. Let's hope we can find here some information which I would very much appreciate.

3. ChrisN Jan 18, 2015

Welcome. I've not seen one of these before (nothing new there) so can't comment on the value, but it seems to be a 166.087 (or 166.0087) not 166.0110 judging by the number in the case back. The Omega database has little info (if you're on a mobile, you must force it to view the desktop page).

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database?ref=15278

Lots of info on the 1002 movement out there. It is a high beat (bit of a loose term) 28800 movement and was also used in the Ploprof or SHOM if I remember correctly. Read around but I believe it has a good reputation.

Edit: Interestingly, Christian at watch guy.co.uk has a set of build photos for a 166.087 here. He usually writes a blog about his services but, I didn't see that.
    http://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/library?action=show_photos&wat_id=827

Cheers, Chris

Edited Jan 18, 2015
  4. grandmascomputer Jan 18, 2015

thanks for the info. I was a bit curious about the caseback. It looks like it's stamped both 166.087 and 166.0110, however 166.087 is crossed out. Which is correct for the reference number?

the dial is also much different with the markers than the one on the watch guy site (could this be due to the fact that his does not have tritium in it?), however the movement/case/hands look the same.

5. ChrisN Jan 18, 2015

6. grandmascomputer Jan 18, 2015

I can only imagine that this was one of those times when they reused parts in different references. Looks like the hands are off on mine, but could also just be a variant. I'm newer to this hobby, and I know that often times they change dial colors between reference numbers, but would hand colors change as well?