First Constellation acquisition and some thoughts

Hi all,

After long browsing and bidding process I finally got my hands on a vintage Omega Constellation.
It has arrived and I have some mixed feelings - it does look really nice, but saw some flaws which were not visible on the photos. I have the option to return it and am seriously considering it.

First, the price was EUR 860 with shipping.
The dial looks in almost perfect shape (there are some tiny “snowflakes” on it) and it comes with the Omega metal bracelet (which I was planning to get rid of and put on a leather strap). Case is probably a bit too polished for collector’s taste.

Issues - the rotor has a worn-off edge which I’ve read somewhere that it indicates poor mechanism health (probably it frictions the inside of the case back), one of the lugs seems bent (which I quite don’t like) and the case back is polished to extent there are only 4 and a half stars.

I don’t like the kind of questions “can you tell me what to do”, but I do need an advise if I am overreacting to these things.

Many thanks!

PS: also realised how hard it is to make proper photos of a watch..

@kalin91
it is always disappointing when you receive a watch and it isn't what you hoped it to be.

To address your points:
it is uncommon to find a constellation dial of this reference without micro-bubbles in the lacquer - but the dial is the less common onyx and lume variant with lumed pencil hands (which I happen to like)
the rotor does look very rubbed, again this is common - the case back not so much rubbed, which is odd - this is a pretty easy fix if you intend to keep and service the watch
the medallion is very worn and unattractive
the gold cap on the lugs is quite soft (polished) so the facets appear to have pretty much gone
the crown is a replacement

all of these you might excuse for the price you paid, which is below market for a good example.

However, the bottom left lug does look bent and if this was not pointed out in the sales info then I would have no hesitation in returning the watch.

BTW, the BOR bracelet - if the end pieces are the correct width of 19mm - is quite uncommon and depending on the state of the gold plate might have been worth keeping/selling.

hope that helps

@kalin91
it is always disappointing when you receive a watch and it isn't what you hoped it to be.

To address your points:
it is uncommon to find a constellation dial of this reference without micro-bubbles in the lacquer - but the dial is the less common onyx and lume variant with lumed pencil hands (which I happen to like)
the rotor does look very rubbed, again this is common - the case back not so much rubbed, which is odd - this is a pretty easy fix if you intend to keep and service the watch
the medallion is very worn and unattractive
the gold cap on the lugs is quite soft (polished) so the facets appear to have pretty much gone
the crown is a replacement

all of these you might excuse for the price you paid, which is below market for a good example.

However, the bottom left lug does look bent and if this was not pointed out in the sales info then I would have no hesitation in returning the watch.

BTW, the BOR bracelet - if the end pieces are the correct width of 19mm - is quite uncommon and depending on the state of the gold plate might have been worth keeping/selling.

hope that helps
Thanks a lot for your assessment!
I got seriously attracted to the dial (especially after browsing through a lot of trash on ebay for the past several weeks).
I think I could live with the polished medallion as I see it as something that I can replace at some point.
My biggest turn-off is the bent lug.. from what I have researched, it doesn't seem to be an easy fix (neither possible in some occasions). For that reason I am considering to return it.

Otherwise, I think the BOR bracelet is the correct width as it fits quite well to the case (photo below). I thought I could sell that for EUR 100-150 and get some value back (as I don't really fancy the metal bracelets).

s-l1600.jpg

You are planning to replace the medallion?

You are planning to replace the medallion?
Not to replace the medallion, rather the whole case back. Not sure if only the medallion is possible to replace?

With the Caseback and bent lug I would return it if possible

It also needs a service. The rotor has some severe case back rub on it...