Forums Latest Members
  1. Gordon Heavyfoot Dec 14, 2015

Hi everyone. First time poster but i have been reading the forums for some time now.I would like advice about a watch I am considering for my first vintage purchase. It is an old Seamaster automatic ad I like the dial on it. I'm not comfortable enough yet to confidently assess the originality of the dial and such. please give me your opinions on this watch and what I should spend on it or other watches that are like it please. I like the numbers on the hours over the sticks or batons.Thank you very much here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Men...516916?hash=item280d9455b4:g:wLAAAOSwcBhWZrO-Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 14, 2015

Image added so we see picture after sale ends
    image.jpeg

3. novina Dec 14, 2015

Kinda interesting, depending on how you enter it into the Omega vintage watch filter you either get a 166.0020 with a caliber 562/565 from the 1960s or a similar Seamaster from the mid 70s. I will tend to go with the 60s estimate. Seeing as it is in the 56* family, I will assume the 560 is 17 jewels as opposed to the 24 jewels of the 562/565. That said, it seems to fit the description given. To my newbie eye, it looks good. Below is the closest I found using the vintage database . As I believe there are many variations based on where it shipped. The major points do match up. Check it out. Seller even refers to the Omega data base, so he knows others will check it. Hope you get more opinions. But if it was me, I would bid on it, but make sure I do not over spend. As an automatic, it will need to be serviced before extended wear. So factor in a service at about $200-$300. I am not sure if I do not see rotor wear on the case back, note the most inner circle, does not seem to correspond with any case steps. But more knowable members are sure to chime in. Good luck.

Seamaster De Ville
    CD 166.0020
    [​IMG]
    Features
    International collection
    Dimensions
    Case
    Gold-cap on stainless steel
    Case Back Type
    Unishell (case opening on dial side)
    Dial
    With hand-rivetted gold hour markers and "stick" hands.
    Crystal
    Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Function
    Movements
    Type
    Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber Number
    562 / 565
    Other
    Cal. 562
    Created in 1958, 24 jewels
    Cal. 565
    Created in 1965, 24 jewels
    Both with central sweep-second hand
    TECHNICAL DATA
    Water resistance
    30 meters

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 14, 2015

What's the issue with the lume dots?

5. abrod520 Dec 14, 2015

[​IMG]

Added image of strange lume dots - it looks like they were scrubbed off, almost.

6. novina Dec 14, 2015

Looks that way. Was probably done during a service. I read that is common when the lume is degraded and crumbling. They scrape it off to keep it out of the movement. Good eye, did not notice it.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 14, 2015

Not unusual for the lume dots to fall off due to age.

This is an interesting watch. This is one of the relatively rare cal. 560 examples that were only sold in the US, due to extra customs duties on watches over 17 jewels.

Read this for more information.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o5zayzn34mz/Unearthed Omega Calibre 560 Rarities.pdf

However, rarity doesn't always translate into high value. This is not considered one of the more collectible Seamaster models.

The hands have been relumed. Also, the seconds hand has considerable rust and should be replaced.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa