Forums Latest Members

First arrival in 2017: Mido Multi-Centerchrono

1. Mick Tock Jan 20, 2017

[​IMG]
    Recently I was able to acquire an example of one of my few grail watches, the Mido Multi-Centerchrono.

This rather small chronograph (35 mm diameter) does not need any sub dials. The 60 minutes counter comes out of the center, there is no running second display — all hands centered for easy reading as a period advertisement touted.

[​IMG]
    There are quite a few different versions of the Multi-Centerchrono, but I was especially after this black dial with multiple scales.

[​IMG]
    The dial does not show any lume contrary to the main hands. The red tail belongs to the minutes counter.

[​IMG]
    Despite its patina surface the dial nicely reflects the hands under certain lighting.

[​IMG]
    The waterproof case with the characteristic anti-slip pushers was manufactured by Taubert et Fils, the successors of François Borgel.

[​IMG]
    The watch features an anti-magnetic inner cage composed by the dial, a ring surrounding the movement, and a second back. Note the indent for easier lift-off of this closely fitting thin cover. The back proudly names the technical achievements implemented by this advanced watch of the 1940ties.

The movement Mido cal. 1300 is based on the famous Valjoux cal. VZ which resembles the later cal. 23. The modification moved a few parts of the chronograph mechanism onto the dial side in order to drive the central 60 minutes counter.

To all my Mido MCC dibsees: please delete me from your lists. Now I'm looking for an example of the medical version with silver dial, pulsations scale, and the Rod of Asclepius.

I would really appreciate to see other Mido Multi-Centerchrono watches in this thread.

Thanks for reading,

Mick

Edited Jan 20, 2017
    Orion78, divetime, Taybharr and 33 others like this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 20, 2017

Very nice @Mick Tock - and no surpise a top-shelf example. :thumbsup:

Mick Tock likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 20, 2017

Terrific watches – congrats! Here's an uncommon, understated version that I own, and an uncommon model with a pink gold bezel that I sold:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Vitezi Jan 20, 2017

[​IMG]
    (thanksPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)

[​IMG]
    (thanksPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)

Orion78, divetime, Davidt and 3 others like this.
  5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 20, 2017

Nice example Mick. Well done.

Mick Tock likes this.
  6. S.Song Jan 20, 2017

Beautiful example, congrats! Here is mine with 24 hours added

IMG_4519.JPG

7. Faz Jan 20, 2017

:thumbsup: My goodness..a time capsule..a real one! Totally fantastic!

Mick Tock likes this.
  8. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jan 20, 2017

Same idea! But on a Longines.

IMG_2339.JPG
  9. Jonatan Jan 20, 2017

My first meeting with @Tony C. burned this watch into my retina and I have been looking for one ever since. The problem is I don't like chronographes ( I know, I know ::screwloose::). These are such amazing watches and all four of you have spectacular exemples.

Jwit likes this.
  10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 21, 2017

Wonderful pick-up, congrats! These watches really transcend their "smallness," don't they? Here's mine:

[​IMG]

...and an exploded view:
    [​IMG]

divetime, Taybharr, Jwit and 10 others like this.
  11. Mick Tock Jan 21, 2017

So this chronogr — eh — wristwatch with uncluttered dial and sun decorated crown guards is for you!

Mick

12. Tbone Jan 21, 2017

It's beautiful.... and simple. I'd love to see one in the flesh to gauge the size. Good snag!

Mick Tock likes this.
  13. Mick Tock Jan 21, 2017

Thank you very much.
    Absolutely.

It's also astonishing that this small case houses a 13''' movement (29.33 mm diameter), moreover in a soft iron cage.
    Your perfect piece really supported my hunt.

Cheers,

Mick

MMMD likes this.
  14. Jonatan Jan 21, 2017

Exactly!

15. Mick Tock Jan 21, 2017

[​IMG]

Thanks for all your contributions, gorgeous examples of different variants.

Mick

Orion78, divetime, TNTwatch and 2 others like this.
  16. w154 Jan 22, 2017

Can any of you guys add side shots, especially if you believe your watches have the original crystals on. I have a Borgel/Taubert cased chrono in with my watchmaker and we'll need to fit a new crystal when it's done. Would like to see what is the correct profile for these.

17. Mick Tock Jan 22, 2017

Here is a side shot of my Mido Multi-Centerchrono. However, I do not know whether the crystal resembles the original crystal or whether it is even an original part.

[​IMG]

Anyway, it looks great under various angles of view and light.

[​IMG]

IMHO, yet more important is the profile of the crystal below the bezel, i.e. how it fits the case parts.

Cheers,

Mick

18. w154 Jan 22, 2017

Thanks Mick

Indeed your crystal does look great :thumbsup:

I'll see what my watchmaker suggests and then can take it from there, but would be great to know what original crystals looked like on these. I searched in the past but never found a watch that was described as having its original crystal still fitted. If any if you other MULTI-CENTERCHRONO owners think you still have the original crystal fitted it would be great to see one.

19. Skrotis Feb 6, 2017

The big version 37mm image.jpeg

20. Majork Feb 6, 2017

Beautiful