Forums Latest Members

First Acquisition of 2017: Rodania Geometer (Speedy's Cousin)

1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Jan 8, 2017

I was recently blessed with the good fortune of @Faz deciding to part ways with his Rodania Geometer. This had been on my list for a couple years, and Faz's example was one that I lusted after for quite some time. For those who aren't sure if there's a point to saying "DIBS!" every time you come across another forum member's watch, this is proof that it works. Faz had remembered my dibs from nearly two years ago, and God bless him, he actually honored it.

I'm guessing a good number of you are aware of the Geometer, but information is exceedingly difficult to come by when it pertains to this watch. It's generally accepted that the Geometer was introduced in 1954 - meaning it would pre-date the 2915-1 by three years. The design similarities are uncanny, down to the dauphin hands (Omega obviously added an arrow) and dial layout. The Rodania, however, had no tachy bezel on the outside, came in a 38mm case with smaller lugs (but a 20mm lug width), and a Valjoux 72 manual winding movement, adjusted in three positions to provide greater accuracy.

This particular example is all original and in tremendous condition - as would be expected when buying from another well respected OF member ;). Can't wait to enjoy this for years to come, especially since my dreams of finding a 2915 are pretty much gone (unless @Spacefruit is a dear and lets go of one from his war chest). 2017 is off to a good start! geometer-2.jpg geometer-4.jpg geometer-5.jpg geometer-6.jpg geometer-7.jpg IMG_8052.JPG

0uss, valjoux72, The_Walrus and 43 others like this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 8, 2017

Let's just Test that theory... dibs!

3. Baz9614 Jan 8, 2017

These are very cool! Nice grab!

4. Severin Jan 8, 2017

A jaw dropping beauty of a watch; congratulations to you. As for the dibs reference, your post reminds me of the "Thanks to St. Jude Novena" posts one often finds in newspaper classifieds - the ones where someone has posted thanks for prayers answered. I'd say there is much to be thankful for here, indeed. Congrats again and all the best.

tomchi and Faz like this.
  5. sgtpry Jan 8, 2017

Oh man.. a little bit late, got second place in DIBS

at 38mm and no tachy bezel this would be a perfect "Speedy" for my smaller wrist :D

bazamu and LawBrk like this.
  6. t_swiss_t Jan 8, 2017

Wonderful. Can't wait to see it in person. Enjoy your holiday, @ChicagoFrog .

7. Faz Jan 8, 2017

I'm tickled pink that it went to a true enthusiast. Enjoy this great chronograph in the best of health. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

chadpowe11 and bazamu like this.
  8. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 8, 2017

and just in case both @oddboy and @sgtpry mysteriously disappear in the middle of the night...third dibs.

bazamu likes this.
  9. rightrower Jan 8, 2017

Thumbs up!

Sent from Note 4 using tapatalk

10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 9, 2017

this is one of my all time favourites ! i had 5 over the last 20 years and kept them for a while, before selling on. it wears a bit smaller than the diameter would suggest. at one stage i had it together with a rolex daytone big red and must say, i preferred the rodania..... well done; they are very rare in good condition now. kind regards. achim

bazamu likes this.
  11. Mapearso Jan 9, 2017

Beautiful piece. Wear it in good health. As someone new to this forum it's nice to see this kind of honor system

12. marturx Jan 9, 2017

That's the way to start of the new watch collecting year! :thumbsup:

Congrats to both you Rob, and to @Faz too, since I take it you're both happy after your Gentlemen's agreement!

bazamu likes this.
  13. ncstate1201 Jan 9, 2017

This is the exact danger of this place. Someone introduces another watch that previously wasn't on your radar, another one gets added to the list...

Foo2rama and dialstatic like this.
  14. Zuke Jan 9, 2017

Wow!!! Congrats on picking this one up, it's incredible. I've also been trying to find one, it's been almost 2 years now. They are definitely hard to come by especially in this conditional.

15. lwong Jan 9, 2017

More than the watch (which is fantabulous) - I love how this success story was realised via honoring of a long-term dibs call. It really captures some of what I feel are the great joys of vintage watch collecting - the spirit that drives the hobby, and the oft-unspoken trust/respect between fellow collectors. Well done both!

bazamu and Faz like this.
  16. rightrower Jan 9, 2017

Amazing piece. Thanks to OF, I learn another chrono which looks like speedy.

Wear it in good health!

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

17. dbane007 Jan 9, 2017

Congrats. Im am sure Omega took some inspiration from the Geometer design when they planned out the 2915. Or Rodania and Omega both used the same designer .... similar to how Gerald Genta designed the AP Royal Oak and the Nautilus a few years later.

18. bama2141 Jan 9, 2017

Congrats on a great piece!

I see that the dial displays "Swiss Made". Does that mean it pre-dates the "T Swiss Made T" tritium indicator, or that it is actually a radium dial?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drawarms likes this.
  19. smorrisonmd Jan 9, 2017

Congrats. I remember admiring that piece years ago on Timezone.

20. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 9, 2017

Great story and a great watch. Congrats!