Forums Latest Members

First ‘proper’ watch arrives tomorrow

1. Fretwatch Sep 9, 2020

First post - hello all!
    Absolutely terrified - my first proper automatic Swiss watch arrives tomorrow. It’s a preowned 2500 42mm Planet Ocean from around 2008. Bought through a seemingly respectable online preowned watch marketplace but as I am a complete newbie, I am out of my depth! I know lots about guitars and amps, but much less about spotting fake Omegas.
    Seller seemed genuine, answered lots of q’s, has all the paperwork and the watch looks honest for its age as far as I can tell, but I’m sure will need servicing, so I have realistic expectations. Not crazy money for a first foray into nice watches.
    Hoping to start a family heirloom as no one in my lineage seems to have bothered thus far, and one day, I hope it will be a treasured birth year watch for my son.
    Wish me luck!

davidswiss, Foo2rama, Wivac and 5 others like this.
  2. Hamish02 Sep 9, 2020

Good luck! Wrist shot tomorrow...

Fretwatch likes this.
  3. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Sep 9, 2020

If you want to show us pictures from the listing there are members on here that can hopefully put your mind at ease.

DaveK and Fretwatch like this.
  4. Capt Cave Man Sep 9, 2020

Hello @Fretwatch, first of all welcome to OF, grab a coffee and start browsing, and searching on your soon to be first Omega, and congratulations!

I know how you feel as my first was purchasing a Breitling off of fleebay!

You will find a few members may frown on your post as its always best to include pictures where possible but we've all been newbies, I still consider myself one compared to a lot of members here.

DJG2645 and Fretwatch like this.
  5. Fretwatch Sep 9, 2020

Cheers mate - I think I’m past the point of no return now so I think I’d rather not know :)

6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 9, 2020

No return window?

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  7. michael22 Sep 9, 2020

If you live in a civilised place, surely you would have some protection from a fake, perhaps not for condition.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  8. SkunkPrince Sep 9, 2020

A 2008 Planet Ocean should be, in my opinion, sent to Omega or an authorized service center for service. I used Nesbit's for my Seamaster Professional 2254.50.00.

I hope it's all you were expecting and more!

9. bradurani Sep 9, 2020

Congrats! I bought my first Omega - a 1999 Seamater 300m Chronograph off eBay, with unknown service history, and it worked out great for me. Haven't even needed to service it yet.

10. 3rdstringholder Sep 9, 2020

Always fun to get a new watch towards the end of the week....Can always look forward to some weekend wear, with hopefully, some time off to enjoy.

11. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 9, 2020

Totally up to you, but need a service and due for a service are two completely different things. 21 years without a service could be doing nasty things to your seamaster.

12. JwRosenthal Sep 9, 2020

Welcome to OF and congrats on your first "real" watch. Browse around and you're sure to find you are in like company- lots of musicians and other creatives/artists here. We even have many who use the other side of their brains as well, and a few who can use both!

DaveK likes this.
  13. Chaz Goldenrod Sep 9, 2020

Congrats on the purchase! There is always a bit of anxiety involved between pulling the trigger and receiving the watch. Let's see a wrist shot once it arrives!

14. Malum Sep 9, 2020

Congratulations ! Enjoy that PO .

15. Newatch321 Sep 10, 2020

Enjoy your PO.

16. Fretwatch Sep 10, 2020

Super chuffed! It’s arrived, well packaged and thus far seems to be lovely. Unbelievably his wrist must be the same size as mine as it fits perfectly - lucky as there were no spare links. Few little dings and scratches on the case and bracelet commensurate with its age and regular use - which interestingly in real life feel much less of an issue then they do on zoomed-in photos from the internet. Serial number on the case matches that on the cards and the product number on the packaging matches the receipts, which all seem to be in keeping with the stated age - so as far as I can tell, without taking the back off and discovering a battery and Casio movement, it seems to be an honest watch. Was planning on getting it polished but actually I think I like the fact it has some life scars - will make me less scared of it.
    I’ll send it in for a service and hope no major issues appear but thus far I am really excited. Even the wife approves. Yay!

D953EFE5-31A7-456F-B511-AFD3359B6358.jpeg 362A172A-ADFB-402E-B287-18D1F1B64865.jpeg
  17. w@tcher Sep 10, 2020

I own the same model as well.
    It's the most comfortable Omega diver i have ever worn...

Congratulations!

Fretwatch likes this.
  18. rob#1 Sep 10, 2020

Very nice, congratulations. Wear it in good health :thumbsup:

Fretwatch and Wivac like this.
  19. LesXL Sep 10, 2020

Wow... Congratulations Sir! Nice first pick

Fretwatch and Wivac like this.
  20. slwoodster Sep 10, 2020

congrats!

Fretwatch likes this.