Forums Latest Members
  1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 22, 2015

Greetings gents, wondering how hard it would be to find parts for cal. 281 /cal 283?
    As you may have seen, I've been looking at smaller UG chronographs from the 1940s - as i'm a woman with a very tiny wrist - but also trying to be practical about any needed repairs.

Thanks and best regards,
    S

2. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Dec 22, 2015

I would say that in general it's getting more and more difficult to find parts for any vintage movement. As they get older and older, the parts supply dwindles down and eventually dries up.

With regular servicing parts should never wear out, but there is always the risk of damage from failure such as a mainspring breakage, or dropping the watch on a hard surface etc...

Rob

3. vinn2 Dec 22, 2015

old watches, and old cars - wear out, parts become unavailable. I suggest buying a parts watch. or a pair of vintage watches - or - enjoy owning a vintage watch that does not run. merry christmass - vinn

4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 22, 2015

Thanks gents, having experienced first hand the hunt for a 1940s 30T2 Omega balance complete, I fear those early UG calibers might be far worse than a movement Omega churned out by the million...

If donor movements or watches can be found that would be a good start -- but is it true cal. 281-283 is rarer than the larger movements?

Even though precise stats are obviously impossible it would be nice to get a sense of the risk / rarity compared to other UG movements, or other movements of the same period for example, eg Valjoux 22/ or 23 - or Lemania 15.

Thanks for any helpful info,
    Merry X mas in any event.
    S