Forums Latest Members
  1. Citrusxc Jun 11, 2017

Hi everyone, I'm kind of new here. I've been hovering around reading the forums for a while but this is my first post.

I'm looking to purchase my first Swiss watch. I have a nice Citizen watch, it's been my daily for almost 9 years now and my style has outgrown the watch. I've dedicated a great deal of time into deciding what I was looking for in a watch. I decided I want something Swiss made, mechanical, steel, white/cream face, Arabic numerals (at least three of them), thin, tan leather band, vintage and of course, Omega. I spent the last few months looking at just about every single Omega watch on Ebay and thought I decided on either a vintage Seamaster or an older 30T2 with sub seconds. I expect to spend somewhere around $800-1200 on it after its all said and done (watch, shipping, import, tax, service), but as of late, I've become... confused?

Is the Seamaster the best choice? Which Seamaster (year/movement)?

I expect this watch to be worn daily for business and casual. I wear various blue or navy suits 5-6 days a week with light tan dress shoes. I don't want anything gaudy or flashy, just a classy watch to own... forever?

I want something vintage, original and mechanically sound. It seems like I've been striking out with Ebay, Etsy, pawnshops, and jewelers. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist? Should I reset my expectations or am I looking for the wrong watch when I should be looking for something else? I've found a couple Seamaster's that I like, but they didn't seem authentic.

Within reason, I have no problem with patina.

Thank you to everyone ahead of time for your input. Also, my apologies if my post is in the wrong spot.

Edit: I'm located in the U.S. and would prefer to buy from the U.S. to avoid customs fees if possible.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 11, 2017

Even in the Seamaster line there's a massive range of sizes and styles that often look nothing alike. In that price range one of the strongest choices is the Seamaster Day-Date Calibre 751 or 752, great movement, better than average for its era water resistance, nice attractive case and dial and plenty of good strap and bracelet options:

[​IMG]

Generally speaking the 30T2s will be older and far less water resistant which is something to factor in if this will be your main watch intended to be used daily.

3. Edward53 Jun 12, 2017

This is a 50s Seamaster chronometer that seems to fit your criteria. It has a cal. 354 "bumper" movement dating to around 1955. I'm not offering it for sale, just posting it as a suggestion for the kind of thing you might like.

New 018.jpg

4. Citrusxc Jun 12, 2017

Thanks for the advice, love the watch! Are you able to interchange the band with a leather one?
    Mind if I ask why/what in particular makes the 751/752 a better calibre?
    I'm trying to be well informed with this purchase.

Thanks again!

5. Citrusxc Jun 12, 2017

I've read that the "bumper" movements have potential for more maintenance over time. Is that true?
    Thanks!

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 12, 2017

You can absolutely fit a leather, NATO or any other strap.

751/752 came at the end on the development cycle of the 50x/55x/56x movement series so benefitted from a lot of the incremental improvements that happened in the prior 20 years. The 551 Chronometers are also among my favourites as I've had some consistently superb performance from them even compared to modern movements. What adds to these 751/752 Seamasters though is that the case has quite good water resistance for its era and the dials being that frosted or concentric silver/gold metallic are actually very resistant to moisture damage and degradation. So they have a sort of perfect storm of positive traits that make them a great daily wear watch.

This all assumes a proper service, new seals, crystal and a pressure test btw.

Citrusxc and ahartfie like this.