Forums Latest Members
  1. Yelfel Apr 29, 2014

Hi all,

I recently purchased a nice example of a 105.003 speedy. Will post pictures soon. The only issue I have with it is that the case back is not original. Does anyone know if these are floating around from time to time?

paul

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 29, 2014

Might be hard to come by one correct for your watch, but then again you may get lucky. A WTB ad here would be a good place to start, and regularly scanning the 'bay.

Until then, perhaps put a display back on it and enjoy the show. Priek makes a nice one IMO.

Tritium likes this.
  3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 29, 2014

It might be a year or two before one comes up for sale and it will cost a few hundred dollars when it does.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 29, 2014

last one one I saw was £400, but I don't think it sold

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 29, 2014

I saw a .003 recently for sale with a display back. I passed on it knowing I would never find a back for it.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it will be a long time if ever to find the right back for that watch.

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 29, 2014

And more bad news: you can put a Want-To-Buy ad on the forum, but sellers don't care. I just placed a WTB ad for a 1039 bracelet and 516 end links. Today I found an ad for exactly that. What was the point? The sellers don't search the WTB ads before placing their ads.

7. marturx Apr 30, 2014

Bryan, I can comment on your last post; I have responded to some WTB ads, but usually it´s a waste of time. Better to have the buyers come to you, than the other way around.

8. Davidt Apr 30, 2014

If it's something that a lot of people are looking for, surely a FS add is fairer than choosing one person to offer it to.

In response to the OP, if it was me, I'd take Darlinboys advice and go with the display back for now, hoping to come across a correct back in the future.

9. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Apr 30, 2014

Hi Paul,

what serial? there are 3 different engravings for 105.003, with years -63, -64 or most common -65.
    For example it wouldn't make sense to put a -65 caseback wit a serial in 20.522.xxx. Better to put a display back.

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 30, 2014

really?

Strictly speaking you are correct, that certain serials can now, with the help of your no doubt excellent, but as yet unread book, be allocated to actual years of casebacks, but I think there will many many watches out there that don't have matching serials to backs, given the easy nature of serving techniques in the past. This serial to date back mismatch, however undesirable, will be the least of their faults.

Now I can really be a pedant sometimes, but I do think that a steel back 003 with any date, is better than a display back, which I for one, find very unappealing, and quite jarring on the eye.

Of course if it were my watch, I would now go armed with your information and hunt. (Here I am arguing both sides, oh dear)

In fact you may have ruined my day as I now have an urge to go through all my watches and check the date back, to serial relationships.

......but I need your book!

Georgieboy58 likes this.
  11. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Apr 30, 2014

yes and yes and yes......i think, the expectations rgd. that whenever upcoming new speedy book are overrated. the combined knowledge here on this forum does exceed publications so far..... kind regards. achim

12. Yelfel Apr 30, 2014

Thank you all for your replies. I am absolutely OK with a display back while I search, I'm sure for a long time, for the correct case back. The movement serial number is 24,06X,XXX so I am assuming the correct case back ref number would be 105.003 - 65? Although I'll wait for the Omega extract to be sure.

13. Yelfel Apr 30, 2014

As promised, close up of the dial. Hands are replacements but accurate I believe. Case is over polished but I plan to wear this, so atleast I won't feel terrible getting scratches.

image.jpg
  14. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Apr 30, 2014

Yes 105.003-65. The Omega extract will not indicate caseback reference, but only ST 105.003.

15. firewater Oct 7, 2015

Hi,
    on my Speedmaster 145.012 is mounted a wrong caseback < S 105.003.63 >
    Best regards
    Fred Speedy 003.JPG