Forums Latest Members

finding a good legitimate 2915/ 1-3 (help required)

1. Tom Dick and Harry May 1, 2014

Hi all

No I haven't won the lottery! A close friend has decided he want to start collecting Omegas in a bigger way and one of the watches he's looking for is a completely original 2915 1/2 or 3, he requirements are around originality, so original hands, dial, bezel, case, movement etc etc, can anyone steer me in the right direction for sourcing one for him? He is under no false illusions about what it might cost but obviously he also doesn't want to be ripped off! He is based in the USA and UK so a deal in either would be fine

Any help appreciated

Thanks Tom

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 1, 2014

I think those sort of leads are kept seriously quiet as we are talking about real grail watches. I'd sell the Ferrari to a dealer to get my hands on the capital, in a hurry, if a pristine, original 2915-1 came to my notice. That's how sought after they are.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 1, 2014

That's just it really, if you want an all original correct Paul Newman Daytona, its actually not hard, a couple phone calls and some negotiation and you've got one, 2915-1s on the other hand...

4. John R Smith May 1, 2014

I think Stewart hits the mark. Watches (or paintings, or guitars, or cars) of this sort of rarity and quality do not get touted around publicly. They are circulated by knowledgeable dealers to a discreet list of discerning and wealthy clients who have already got a track record for high-end collecting. It is almost impossible to break into this "inner circle" without having already paid your dues over some period of time. Just now and then, but very rarely, an amazing piece will surface on eBay on open auction because the seller is genuinely ignorant about what they have. This does not happen very often these days, I am afraid.

5. Tom Dick and Harry May 1, 2014

Chaps

Thanks for the advice and believe you me you are talking to the converted, whilst I maintain a comparatively low post count on the Omega Forums a great many friends from other forums (particularly in the UK) will testify that I have paid my dues in terms of some elements of the inner circle. I have some great contacts but ultimately my collecting habits are not for the most part (although I have owned probably a dozen 2998's of various guises including a FAP) around Speedmasters.

If the discussion were around were to obtain a prototype early HEQ or electronic Omega or a good 105.003 then I would have no issue but as you say the world of the 2915 is not one I have ever delved in to and as such I asked the question.

Thanks again Tom

6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 1, 2014

It takes a certain knowing of who has what and keeping tracking of where they switch hands is the key. Now being able to convince such people to relinquish such pieces is another matter. I once brokered a couple 2915 deals but it was definitely not among the regular folks and discussions typically involved trading of pieces as money is typically not an issue at this range for extremely good condition examples.

7. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 1, 2014

Sent you PM ;)

8. chadpowe11 May 1, 2014

9. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author May 2, 2014

Nice example, but very early s/n and very early dial for a -3, though nothing is impossible

Spacefruit likes this.
  10. rolexfantastic May 2, 2014

Even with those poorly repainted alpha (possibly steel replace), i wonder why is it still for sale. I bet it won't last any 48h..