Forums Latest Members

Find the thing you like least about Omega Basel 2017 offerings, and...

1. M'Bob Mar 30, 2017

....it is staggeringly better that this:

image.jpeg

I am far from a Rolex hater, and have a number of their vintage models that I enjoy. But nothing Omega has offered can compare to the design fail of this monstrosity. Everything this watch company has offered lately is way over the top - gaudy, garish, and their demographic seems to be aimed at those who have recently acquired money, and want to rub it in your face.

I'm sorry, but I can't foresee buying anything modern from Rolex unless their design direction severely changes.

noelekal likes this.
  2. Riviera Paradise Mar 30, 2017

I certainly agree with your specific comments on the "Godzilla watch" photo you have posted...but slagging off the rest of the Rolex range seems a bit extreme, agreed? OP, Explorer, BLNR, Rolex Sub no-date, Daytona Ceramic...I can think of many Omega modern sports watches that look much less elegant / balanced in terms of design language.

3. w.finkenstaedt Mar 30, 2017

You forgot to post the Rolesor Sky-Dweller, so I've corrected your lack of foresight:

IMG_1746.JPG

Ugh that's awful. Especially compared to Omega's effort at a traveler's watch:

IMG_1747.JPG

4. Meme-Dweller Mar 30, 2017

I agree with you and Rolex has shown un-Rolex-like offerings at Baselworld this year, in contrast to last year where they stole the show with the Daytona.

At the same time, Omega offered something amazing with the 57 trilogy set but still slowly destroyed their image in the background with flashy Planet Oceans and more colorful 44.25mm Speedmasters.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  5. w.finkenstaedt Mar 30, 2017

Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe. I actually like the new Racing Speedies very much, and as for POs, they're just a teeny tiny fraction of what Omega sells, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Then again, we've only seen bad pics and renders at this point.

6. Riviera Paradise Mar 30, 2017

Surely this is a fairer comparison?...I think both watches are interesting and clearly follow a different and specific brand design language. Why do we need to put something down to value something else as positive?
    AT World Timer.png Skydweller 2.png

7. Riviera Paradise Mar 30, 2017

This on the other hand, should certainly not be seen before or after a meal::puke::
    Yacht_Gem.png

Longbow, munichblue and Meme-Dweller like this.
  8. w.finkenstaedt Mar 30, 2017

It's not a fair comparison either way, as that Aqua Terra is platinum with a platinum and enamel dial and true Worldtimer calibre.

It's also only slightly more than a gold Sky-Dweller. Rolex designs do nothing for me ever since they lost the case bevel. They're just "some watch" now instead of what made Rolex great. They've lost their way.

But I won't rehash that rant again.

M'Bob likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 30, 2017

And if you ant some Rolex bling, there's always this...

[​IMG]

Clearly Bruno beat me to it...

10. Riviera Paradise Mar 30, 2017

Yes Al, but your Giorgiamondani "coloured heart reference" is much better in identifying potential purchasers of this Rolex "gem":D

11. Riviera Paradise Mar 30, 2017

I agree with your Rolex comment...but not 100% on the Omega points your raise... just about everyone who has seen those new Racing Speedies live at Basel have raved about them. I still think that overall this was a very strong Basel showing from Omega...they have a huge range of product designs...we will never be happy with everything they put out (I certainly did not like the new ceramic blue PO or moonphase)...but there was the trilogy, racing speedies, AT worldtimer...

12. tyrantlizardrex Mar 30, 2017

When you pump out 1 million "rare" watches a year, I guess you can afford for a heap of them to be FUGLY, and you can't afford to stop making the FUGLY ones, because there are people out there begging you to take their money.

munichblue and Riviera Paradise like this.
  13. Kmart Mar 30, 2017

Rolex needs to get back to basics and stick to what they do best. The Cellini Moonphase is excellent in my opinion -- if they get back to making amazing complications like they did 50+ years ago and continue with the slight updates to their classic sports models I would be happy with that.

ac106 and Riviera Paradise like this.
  14. M'Bob Mar 30, 2017

Taking me to task because I didn't say, "in general," huh? :)

Okay: in general, the new line is mostly repulsive.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 30, 2017

It's for the customer who lines up in a pig mask and tux I would bet....

Jwit, Bushido, alohatime and 2 others like this.
  16. M'Bob Mar 30, 2017

And RP, just to be clear: I don't buy your "relativist" argument either. The Rolexes are not ugly in comparison to the Omegas...they are ugly all by themselves. I just used the comparison for the sake of showing you how little there is to bitch about in much of Omega '17.

17. M'Bob Mar 30, 2017

There are bad, too. Maybe "tainted" their image?

18. Riviera Paradise Mar 30, 2017

ooohhh we are in bad mood aren't we @M'Bob?:p:D

Perhaps he stood a better chance wearing that Rolex?

M'Bob likes this.
  19. M'Bob Mar 30, 2017

Now that you opened that can of worms:

I see Bugs in a Patek Caltrava; Daffy I see clearly swinging towards a Day-Date...hopefully an 1803, or earlier.

20. w.finkenstaedt Mar 30, 2017

Hm, they could do a modern triple calendar moonphase. Maybe call it... the 116062?!

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

(Yes I know, different refs, just think the 6062 is a little ugly, where the first is near perfect. Bit too much like what Blancpain is doing now, though.)

Edit: preeeeeetty sure they could find buyers for that kind of watch in steel. But pretty sure they'd f*** it up and make it in precious metal only for the first 10-20 years... [emoji849]

Riviera Paradise and Kmart like this.