Forums Latest Members
  1. jimtime Mar 31, 2016

I have recently acquired a nice 1956 Century with a Cal. 284, in good original condition. I have just had the movement serviced and left the case in as found shape. The watch came from the Toronto area, complete with its original inner and outer box, open warranty and a brass price tab. I understand that Centurys were sold in several countries, however most appear to show up in Canada. I was wondering if any forum members had seen a box such as this before. Might it be a Canadian equivalent to the ubiquitous 1950's Norman Morris blue box. The lack of the FTI (Federal Tax Included) mark on the brass price tab also made me wonder if it was a Canadian item. This tab is made from a stiff piece of brass rather than foil. I would appreciate any thoughts and apologize for not posting earlier, however I am just getting the hang of posting photos. I have also included a advert for the Century watch from a 1952 Quebec magazine. It indicates that the Century was adjusted in 5 positions, which was not something I had ever seen or read. I wondered if for the very first Centurys perhaps this was the case. It seems odd. Century.JPG Century dial.jpg century movement. jpg.jpg Century add.jpg

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 31, 2016

Nice one. More than willing to pay the asking price on the tag. Let me know :)

3. ISAKOFF Mar 31, 2016

wow, I love when you find complete sets like this! Congrats!

OMGRLX and jimtime like this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 31, 2016

I'm afraid it's a fake. But a damn good one.

:rolleyes:

jimtime and OMGRLX like this.
  5. Canuck Mar 31, 2016

In the era of your watch, the Canadian agency for Omega in Canada was Hatch and Company, located in Quebec City, P Q. FWIW.

jimtime likes this.
  6. cristos71 Apr 1, 2016

I have a similar inner/outer box kicking around, I'll take a few pictures later. I've also got a set of those brass pricing tabs which are nice to play around with when I'm pretending to be a 1950's Omega dealer at home :oops: :D

jimtime, chronos and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  7. jimtime Apr 1, 2016

I have seen their name before, but very little else. Do you have any additional information about Hatch and Co.? Thanks. My father-in-law is a retired research librarian in Quebec City. Perhaps I can get him to run down some leads in return for access to my beer fridge at the cottage.

8. jimtime Apr 1, 2016

I would very much appreciate you posting some pictures. Perhaps our parents would allow us to get together and play "Omega Boutique" on a rainy Saturday afternoon!

9. dx009 Apr 1, 2016

Oh man what a spotless beauty!

jimtime likes this.
  10. West Slope Apr 1, 2016

Very pretty, not one I had seen before.

11. Canuck Apr 1, 2016

I have checked a vintage edition of a Canadian directory of trade marks and company names, and I was unable to locate a listing for them. I suspect this directory is too new. There is nothing on the 'net about the company that I have been able to find. I suspect their Omega franchise only lasted until possibly the early 1970s. I am confident that the correct reference material would contain a listing for them. I noticed the ad you uploaded would appear to have been published in a Quebec publication, but the Hatch company name is not mentioned. FWIW.

jimtime likes this.
  12. cristos71 Apr 2, 2016

Here we go

20160402_163716.jpg

20160402_163734.jpg

And the pricing material....just check those prices out!

20160402_164043.jpg

13. jimtime Apr 2, 2016

IMG_0576.JPG
    ahartfie likes this.
  14. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 2, 2016

WOW! My Dad has almost that exact watch, the only difference is that his has a textured dial, otherwise same markers, font, everything! Mom bought it for him in Fort William, Ontario for his birthday in the early fifties (he's 92 this year)

One time back in the 70s the thread on the crown let go, he soldered it back on.... that must have done the movement some serious good. Later it got serviced and a new crown put on. Its still in really nice shape despite its earlier life. I kind of hope to add it to my collection one day. No rush mind you.

and yes, the box went in the bin years ago.

jimtime likes this.