Forums Latest Members

Financial And Investment Considerations In The Collection Of Vintage Omegas

1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

There was a brief discussion in the Purists about this and my contention has always been that it plays a huge and integral role.

We all have budgets and we all want to purchase the vintage omegas we love at the best price we can get them for so in this respect, money is a huge player. I bet some of use have also purchased omegas we didn't really like much but intended to flip and make a bit of money because the price was so low.

I would also add that for some, the amount spent on this hobby is way beyond trivial so the investment angle plays a role - almost no one would want to buy an expensive vintage omega (even if it is a watch you love) knowing it is likely to depreciate in the future. If anything the opposite is true - we end up liking the watch more because it is likely to appreciate in the future. Happily, the fastest appreciating vintage omegas are generally the most desirable models.

Which brings me to this question - which vintage omegas have seen the fastest value appreciation in the past 3-5 years? In my observation it has been the piepan constellations in all metals. Plentiful enough to generate widespread enthusiasm and desire with the all original examples in excellent condition uncommon enough to drive prices up at least 50% during this timeframe. And I think the growth in value of this segment is driven by the Asian market (which incidentally is also the main driver for growth in the sales and prices of omega watches in general whether modern or vintage).

Dablitzer and MKelley like this.
  2. ulackfocus Nov 4, 2012

The 50's Constellations are going up, particularly in the last year and most noticeable with the pie pans as you mentioned Mike. The previously less sought after Seamaster chronometers regardless of metal or age, seem to be on par or even outpacing most Constellations.

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 4, 2012

Yes, the 168.005 piepan connies have increased double in value in Asian market. An all original piepan gold capped with a 564 (black onyx inserts) can fetch up to 2K or more. (but they have to hold it in their hands with a loup...)

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

Yea I was reading that thread on purists, not certain, but I think from the writing style it was actually Seamonster from here that may have created it. Value always has to come into it, the liquidity of a specific watch brand or line is what permits you to move your collection forward over time rather than just accumulating, and appreciation over time assists that further.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2012

Harris keeps those guys back down on earth. :thumbsup:

And Mike slaps them around when they need it :D

6. jud Nov 4, 2012

I'm still learning about the different sites and the investment aspects of this hobby. At this time I see my watches as something I enjoy looking at when I check the time rather than an investment. Can you please post a link?

pknopp likes this.
  7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 5, 2012

Hoi, Desmond and others,
    Do the date versions command a significant premium over the non-date 167.005? And the gold cap is valued more than stainless steel? And is it basically a piepan phenomenon over in Asia? I know you've discussed the demand for some of these omegas in the Asian market but couldn't locate your post discussing this here.

8. ulackfocus Nov 5, 2012

Yes, please expound Hoi. In the US, stainless is the hottest & fastest case metal to sell. Solid gold is only second because the price is currently high, but it's not by much and will eventually be the preferred case metal to buy again.

9. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 6, 2012

Interesting point. One of the watches that seems to be a target for serious collectors (and I would include you in that category Mike) is the cal 551 model 14382 in Rose gold. It is one of three of the rarest of all the cal 500 - 564 pie pans. Also the 14382 with stepped pie pan dial with arrowheads races ahead of most 561/564 calibre pie pans in value and is very rare.

I think there's a growing realisation that only 37000 pieces of the cal 551 in total were produced, mostly in the earlier days of production of this calibre, and gold cal 551s in cases 14381, 14382, 14900, 167.005 (and the rarest of all - the 167.025 pie pan in the monocoque case) were produced in very significantly fewer numbers than cal 561/564 pie pans and thus it will be harder to find a medium quality example, let alone a pristine one. Black pie pan 14900s in 18k are like hen's teeth.

I know a few high-end collectors through my blog, some of whom run things past me when they source a good piece, who certainly light up when a good pie pan cal 551 surfaces, particularly the arrowhead markered 14381s and 14900s. So my feeling is that if there is a premium at all it would be in favour of the cal 551, that is, amongst what I would call 'astute' collectors who know their market inside-out and collect top-line examples only.

My experience is that stainless steel has it over gold cap. But if you were to put a sharp, original gold cap against an equivalent stainless, I don't believe there would be much in it. Maybe a hundred. Stainless cal 551 pie pans are not easy to come by in excellent condition and I would say there is a premium over and above a cal 561 for very sharp examples.

Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok seem to be major pie pan collecting centres, or at least selling centres, but South Korea and Japan have a lot of collectors too, if hits to my blog are anything to go by. But, still, the majority of search engine sources for page views are still the US (well ahead) and some European countries like the UK, Sweden, Italy, and Germany. Mind you I don't get any hits from China as I'm blocked there, but while I notice activity I still imagine the vintage market is yet to mature there.

Cheers

Desmond

Kik_Kat_Kish likes this.
  10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 6, 2012

So many things I could say about Desmond being blocked in PRC. But I just thought I would highlight it. Only the Chinese could consider Constellations a threat to Communism.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 6, 2012

Interesting thoughts Desmond. I have actually been acquiring a few cal. 551 connies over the last year as that is a segment of my collection that I have not paid enough attention to previously. While I was aware of the relatively low movement numbers, I have been attracted to the model because IMO a piepan dial looks its best without a date since the date window interrupts the dial's perfect symmetry. And I would also agree the rose gold versions of the cal. 551 connies are not easy to locate also - so much so that even if one surfaces with a domed rather than a piepan dial it is worthy of consideration. The cal. 551 connies are also interesting in that for a watch with a comparatively small production run (I would liken the 551 is to the 561/564 as the 352 is to the 354) there was a huge variation in terms of dial styles - different markers (some with lume and others without and the ones with lume the earlier ones used radium and the later ones featured tritium) in different case styles with different dial printing (some with crosshairs and some without the officially certified script). It is like a transition model as omega was trying to determine a design style for the connie line to come in the 1960s.

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 6, 2012

Fascinating thoughts and information on the 551.
    I am not posting my beautiful, perfect dial, 551 Pink Gold Cap 14381 in a self-congratulatory manner. Honestly, it is merely another opportunity to torment Dennis that could not be passed by.
    Evil perhaps, but what can I say :D :D:D
    BTW, the compression ring is PG too, and I have the original PG crown.

14381a.jpg

fjf and alam like this.
  13. ulackfocus Nov 6, 2012

You have just karma-ed yourself into the eventual sale of that watch to me. :p It might not be next month, maybe not even next year, but sooner or later something will come up that forces you to make the call to me with the offer.... probably a crazy good deal on a pre-Professional that pops up immediately after you spent the whole watch kitty on something else. ;)

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 6, 2012

Very interesting thoughts by the last few posters regarding the cal. 551 Constellations. I feel very lucky to have purchased mine when I did. I agree with the symmetry issue, which is why I really never considered the calendar model. Also, they can sometimes be a pain to set correctly and carry more risk of damage from ordinary use (especially the cal. 564 "push-pull" mechanism).

I was going to pile on with a picture, but thought better of it. Another time perhaps,
    gatorcpa

15. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 6, 2012

Do the date versions command a significant premium over the non-date 167.005? Yes they do.

And the gold cap is valued more than stainless steel? Yes, it is.

And is it basically a piepan phenomenon over in Asia? Yes it is because it resembles a Ba Gua (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ba_gua)

People from different cultures value things differently. A gold capped is worth more than a SS.

A dial with black onyx inserts costs you more than a lume dial and certainly a 564 in 24 mil range costs more than a 561.

If you sale a perfect piepan solid gold or gold capped on eBay, you will see where it goes.

[​IMG]

PS

95% VietNamese buyers hold an eBay account in the US, they can buy anything that doesn't ship internationally

16. ulackfocus Nov 6, 2012

Lucasssssss likes this.
  17. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 6, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

Indeed, it is meant to be a simple posting and it has now caused some misinterpretation amongst fellow members.

There is no element in the posting to suggest its purchase is meant for investment purposes. Asking whether a certain vintage Omega will keep its value, when the time comes to upgrade it in five years' time should not be construed as buying and selling to make a profit or keeping the watch for investment purposes.

Long ago in the 50's - 70's, used and second-hand watches (the word vintage and rare were exclusively reserved for Patek Philippe and one or two others) were bought not for investment purposes but as of today, it is a totally different world, altogether. Before even buying a vintage-watch, one may ask whether he will make money when re-selling it. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with buying a vintage-watch for investment purposes. Are investors in vintage-watches still trying to hide behind the curtain and pretend they are watch-lovers? Perhaps.

A true watch-lover will buy a watch, with no intention of re-selling it. In the event he wants to purchase another watch and could not find money elsewhere, only then he will make an attempt to re-sell the watch. In the process of re-selling, if he were to lose some money, so what. A true watch-lover will not frown or whinge, while a dealer, a speculator or an investor would, and this is more than perhaps.

Vintage-watch collecting was supposed to be a pastime or a passion. It is now turning into a business venture. It had never been intended to be so. The population of totally genuine watch-lovers is thinning-off, while the population of vintage-watch dealers, speculators and investors is ever-growing. The spirit and beauty of vintage-watch collecting are fast eroding and will not come back. If only we could turn the clock back.

Thank-you.

rdw200 likes this.
  18. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 6, 2012

Agree with Gator and Mike on the symmetry of the non-date pie pans.

Hoi that may be your experience, but I would still argue that the demand in some Asian countries must be balanced with global demand. While, again, yellow gold is generally sought-after in Asia, in western countries at this moment white metals are trendier and so globally I believe an SS will still stack up higher than a gold cap, and looking at auction reports of Connies in the higher-end vintage markets like Dr Crotts, Henry's, Christies, Phillips de Pury, Patrizzi, Southebys Important Watch auctions in Hong Kong, and even Antiquorum amongst others, will show you a different picture than the eBay experience.

Pie pan collecting is not just a recent phenomenon, but has had very strong support for the last twenty years and while Ba Gua may be be responsible for some (although I suspect not all by a long shot) oriental demand for these models, there is strong collector interest in the West for pie pans. I'm a tad mystified how an eight-sided figure can be seen to be alike a twelve-sided figure as they are two totally different pieces of geometry, but I'm willing to accept that some people would buy a pie pan for that reason. But just look at the pie pan roll amongst forum members here for an example - it's almost a right of passage amongst vintage collectors in the West to either own or to have owned one.

So, I would say that while Oriental interest is contributing to upward values of quality pie pans, it is but one contributing factor amongst others and not the singular cause. Over the last few years there has also been, in my experience, flourishing interest in pie pans in the West. Again, while Ba Gua may be the impetus for some Oriental interest in pie pans, I believe (and indeed know of) quite a number of oriental collectors who collect pie pans from the perspective of both horology and aesthetics and are very knowledgeable about what they collect - I would even call some of them experts. A couple of months ago while in correspondence with one HK collector I mentioned what I called the 'Ba Gua phenomenon' and he scoffed back a reply to the effect that maybe it's true for those who don't know much about watches. I would argue that there are many Asian centres where the level of collecting knowledge, sophistication and impetus goes well beyond that of what a dial reminds them of.

Seamonster, I agree with your sentiments, and to love and enjoy one's pieces is very important and, in my opinion, represents the emotional side of the collecting equation. But we are also rational human beings as well, and so issues such as value for money, whether values will be sustained or increased, which models or designs may be good to keep and indeed which models to acquire so as to flip later to fund a desired purchase have their place in watch collecting too. Some of us insist on wearing even our sharpest and most expensive acquisitions, while others will only display them. But in both instances great pleasure (emotion) can be experienced. Some collectors literally have eyegasms just looking at their displayed watches, which, to me, is the same experience of seeing and feeling it on the wrist :) There are some emotions, such as the uncontrollable compulsion to acquire, that need to be rationally controlled, and so, to me, collecting is all about finding a balance between head and heart and then going for it!

Cheers

Demsond

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 7, 2012

I think its a little less complicated, they're just good watches. They've lasted over 50 years and the number still in great running order is massive, the movements are tough as nails, parts availability is exceptional, and servicing is highly affordable. I can have a constellation or seamaster with 5xx series movement fully restored by Steve for under $200. I can't get a Rolex SS Daytona serviced for under $1200. The cases and sizes are timeless and perfect as modern dress watches, and compared to a Datejust or other relatively boring dial, the Pie-Pan is more interesting and elegant.

The value of these watches, for so long as been excessively low for what they are, especially when you consider that a completely shagged out Rolex 1803 Day-Date that's had its lugs polished until there are no edges left and its bracelet melted goes for the same money as a mint Constellation De Luxe pie-pan. There's no comparison, the 1803 is an inelegant, expensive to service, ugly pig of a watch, and the Constellation is a gem. It just didn't make sense...

20. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 7, 2012

Desmond.

To make it short, how much do you think a guy from the West would pay for this one ?

[​IMG]

and let's not go too far from the question from the OP

"......which vintage omegas have seen the fastest value appreciation in the past 3-5 years? In my observation it has been the piepan constellations in all metals. Plentiful enough to generate widespread enthusiasm and desire with the all original examples in excellent condition uncommon enough to drive prices up at least 50% during this timeframe. And I think the growth in value of this segment is driven by the Asian market (which incidentally is also the main driver for growth in the sales and prices of omega watches in general whether modern or vintage)....."