Forums Latest Members

Finally some recognition for a truly historically important piece

1. Omega1967 Jun 28, 2020

Alfista88 and Duracuir1 like this.
  2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 28, 2020

Would look much better without all the co-axial limited edition crap on the dial.

Skipper_S, Ree, jhross98 and 12 others like this.
  3. Pazzo Jun 28, 2020

I think I'd rather have the LE on the dial than those scratches on all four lugs and caseback.

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 28, 2020

Scratches can be removed.

5. Pazzo Jun 28, 2020

Obviously but still, ...

Actually, I don't think I like anything on this watch.

MRC and TexOmega like this.
  6. MRC Jun 28, 2020

We'll sort those out for you in a jiffy, Sir.

ZC160570m.JPG

(I was once unwise enough to put one hand on this and the other on another piece of equipment. Got a good belt because the ground/earth didn't earth/ground and I got 450V :eek: )

Pazzo likes this.
  7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 28, 2020

Been there more than once. Thank the Lord for the person that invented circuit breakers.

8. MRC Jun 28, 2020

Circuit breakers? Yes, we've heard of them. This is the other machine in this episode.

ZC160573m.JPG

When running it was full of molten nylon at 250C and 2200psi, not always entirely contained inside :whistling:

It's current that kills you, I've had 12,000V a few times working on car ignition, but been very careful inside computers running at 5V (old D.E.C. Vaxen).

BTW this workshop has since been demolished -- but I do know where all the equipment is and I'm glad I don't have to go near it again.

Pazzo likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 28, 2020

Looks like the baby injection molding machine I used in school many moons ago...

10. MRC Jun 28, 2020

Baby? It could easily take your hand off! OK, there are bigger, but nastier? It was about 50 years old at the time, and could draw blood if you weren't paying attention. Still, on piece-work I did a time&motion study on myself and worked out how to do pretty well.

The one to the left was a complete bastard to keep under thermal control and I hated the occasions I had to use it, and didn't make much money thanks to the number of times I had to turn it completely off and wait 30 minutes for it to cool before I could crank it up again. Only bonus for using that bastard one was that the workshop owner liked to fly his aircraft to deliver the product and I'd go with him -- and have to do the flying on the way home :)

Pazzo and Archer like this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 28, 2020

I guess I'm used to industrial machinery that is many times larger.

Regarding the danger/lethality aspect, and to put 250C and 2200 psi into perspective, we had one of these at one of our facilities:

In the factory where I worked, we had large multi-spindle screw machines - the old cam driven style of machine. I used to rebuild these all the time, either using our own maintenance people, or a local machine shop. Most of these machines used high speed steel tooling, but I rebuilt and installed several National Acme 4 1/2 RBT-4's. These were 4.5 inch capacity (size of the bar/tube the machine would take in each of the 4 spindles) carbide tooling machines. Used a 100 HP motor on it, and they weighed 36,000 lbs.

If you are not familiar, this is the best video I could find, although this is a much smaller machine shown:

Spindle carriers on the 4.5 inch machines were a problem - cracked castings. I spent a fair bit of time at the National Acme plant in Cleveland back in those days. The facility was 17 acres under roof...most of it was empty by then though.

I was used to working on equipment that was 40-50 years old...this was back in the 80's. I think the oldest press we had was pre-war - WWI that is...

Cheers, Al

Tekashi_145.022 and Pazzo like this.
  12. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 28, 2020

HI

I had the Rose Gold w midnight blue dial edition bought it new ... at a dealer in Gent while there for a friends wedding !

Sold it a few years later... was a real tip of the hat to the pie pan connie... too bad Omega branded it DeVile..... lots of old discussions on TZ about it when it was released !

Good Hunting
    Bill