Forums Latest Members
  1. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 19, 2013

It's been quite a long time I haven't bought anything from eBay until yesterday......I finally pulled the trigger on this one

Here are seller's pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/330921925709?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

How did I do and what you all (collectors) think ?

Also thanks to the European Black Hole, who stepped back and let me bid on that.

enezdez, cicindela, NT931 and 2 others like this.
  2. hockey May 19, 2013

You did very, very well. This is a rare and highly desired watch. I've been trying to find a nice example for over 10 years. Especially great in an 18k case. Nicely done. This is my favorite pre-1945 Omega dial in a non-chronograph. Patek has a similar modern version that is very attractive.

3. ulackfocus May 19, 2013

Nice one Hoi. :thumbsup: You got quiet a score at that price.

:p

4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices May 19, 2013

WOW! Can't wait to see it after it's given the Hoi "special clean-up" ;-) As always, wear in good health. Miki

5. cristos71 May 19, 2013

I like it a lot.

I've seen them before in steel, there was one for sale a year or so ago, which I was considering. It had a somewhat sun faded dial around the 3 O clock area, maybe you saw it. That stopped me bidding in the end, but it was still a very nice watch.

I think they are not often seen and therefore overlooked by the majority of the un-experienced/semi experienced collectors and this has had fortunate consequences on the price you paid. If you compare your one with the prices seen for very dubious Constellations, Seamasters, etc then I think it is a great buy.

I'm looking forward to seeing some new pictures upon arrival

Regards Chris

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 19, 2013

Nice Hoi, I have a feeling that you plan to be very cautious with this dial.

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 19, 2013

Hi Friends.

I am happy to win the auction because it's a rare piece from that era in a large gold case (most I've seen are in SS cases), Certainly, I will leave the dial as it is and will try to find a nice strap and buckle for it.

Best regards.

8. seamonster Respectable Member May 19, 2013

Respectable Member hoipolloi

You may be the greatest dial-cleaner on this planet, for heaven-sake leave this dial alone. Try on others but not on this one.

Thank-you.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 19, 2013

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur May 19, 2013

Respectable member Seamonster.

Yes, sir. I will leave the dial as it is. Thank You

Mr InvestiGator.

I searched the net for "Omega scientific dial" then found that thread before I made the final bid. Your opinion on the dial in that thread helped me a lot in this auction.

Thank you.

11. pitpro Likes the game. May 19, 2013

Nice find Hoi!
    Love the size

12. MKelley May 19, 2013

Nice..I really like the dial:thumbsup:

13. mac_omega May 20, 2013

:D Enjoy your new toy, Hoi!

14. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant May 20, 2013

hoi, you are lucky, that i`m not into gold watches...... i saw that as well and i think, you did extremly well ! as far as i know, these cases were a bit thin ; especially the back. just let us know, when it`s with you. kind regards./ achim

15. Dablitzer May 20, 2013

Dial a bit too aged for me! ;) but a lovely rare dial nonetheless..

16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 20, 2013

That's a magnificent buy. I am eager to see more pics.

17. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jun 2, 2013

I received the watch yesterday, it looks better than in pictures, the dial was made from a "shiny piece of metal" and fonts were printed on it directly, no paint , no ground coat. That shininess cannnot be captured by a camera, I guess.

Only one problem I have is " after 2 hours on my wrist, the mainspring broke". I already order a new one from Switzerland and I have one question

_ Can we change the mainspring without removing the dial and hands ?

[​IMG]

18. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 2, 2013

It's difficult to say from the photo, whether or not you would be able to remove the barrel bridge without removing the centre wheel. The other thing to consider is how old the oil is and it does look like a clean would not be out of amiss. You are also less likely to samage the dial and hands if you remove them first.

19. mac_omega Jun 2, 2013

Hoi,

you are so courageous concerning repairs - just give it a try... I have not done it before but you could be successful without removing the center wheel I guess. :thumbsup:

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 3, 2013

There's no reason not to give it a full service. Hard to tell for sure from the picture, but the cap jewel on the balance looks dry to me - at that sort of angle you should see a dark round dot of oil in there. It's a nice watch - treat it right - give it a full, service.

Cheers, Al