Forums Latest Members

Finally found out about my (Dad's, but now mine) Seamaster. Need some help with a few questions.

1. Teddy Dec 12, 2018

All right, here we go.

A dime a dozen, I know, but it's mine. OMEGA Chronostop Seamaster JUMBO Diver, 1967-?, 145.008, 865 Movement. I think I have that pegged pretty well. Also, I think it's considered one of the rarer Chronostops.

A little dirty, but every thing works well. Well, the rotating bezel "slips" when you turn the 10pm knob. But it keeps time. (Gotta be honest, the hold the button down to read the elapsed SW time is kinda way out there.)

Questions...

1. Is there any way to date this guy without taking the back off? The "Seamaster" writing seems a little smaller than every other photo I've seen, which leads me to believe it could be a unique identifier for the year. Perhaps the inaugural year?

2. Crystal is mildly scratched from 50 yearsish of use. Nothing serious. Been reading (it's my only viontage watch, so what do I know) that it might be best to leave it as is? Also, to not polish everything up. (I like the brush marks on the case!). Should I get the crystal polished (not replaced)? Something I can do at home with (gah, really?!?!?) toothpaste?

3. Can I clean the watch myself? You can see a bit of soil and dirt where the crystal meets the case, for example. What products, what tools might I use?

4. Agree with me: ain't she purdy?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might give to my first post here. Cheers from Calgary.[​IMG]

20181208_232805(1).jpg
    Edited Dec 12, 2018
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 12, 2018

Picture didn't work mate, give it another go using the add photos button and uploading it

3. Dan S Dec 12, 2018

Looks good ... ask away.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 12, 2018

Looks good. Nice watch

Straight up if you have to ask if you can do it at home yourself - you can't.

Service and a new Omega crystal and your set. A service will have it back to you all pretty and clean.

( not giving advice on cleaning as it leads to longer before the service it's due )

5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 12, 2018

Yep, she sure is pretty.
    But get her serviced, imagine trying to run a car engine for 50 years without a service. Find an independent watchmaker preferably with an Omega parts account but don't send back to Omega.
    Enjoy

6. MCC Dec 13, 2018

Good looking watch and definitely worth leaving to the professionals.

7. Omegista Dec 13, 2018

Cool watch!
    I would also recommend taking it to a reputable, independent watchmaker.

8. KingCrouchy Dec 13, 2018

Amazing watch! Just don’t send it to Omega or they will change some part and it will lose some of it’s gorgeous look!