Forums Latest Members
  1. dr.raul Dec 8, 2016

A few month ago after a rather long search I finally got a 165.024 Seamaster 300 fully original in great shape with its bracelet, a perfect bezel and a lovely tritium patina, here is a few pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Etp095, ricardorio, adam78 and 19 others like this.
  2. omegasaso12 Dec 8, 2016

It looks super cool. its on my wishlist for next year. congratz.

3. dr.raul Dec 8, 2016

I know that the big triangle version is the most sought after but I really prefer this one, I love the simmetry and balance of this dial

TexOmega likes this.
  4. Swissgmt1675 Dec 8, 2016

Beauty Dr...Well done..The patina is to die for and and i prefer too the look of the non big T.

Do you know serial number?

Enjoy in good health,

A.

5. KstateSkier Dec 8, 2016

Wow impressive to say the least!

6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Dec 8, 2016

Awesome example. Stunning

7. mozambique Dec 8, 2016

REALLY nice!.........high on my wish list too.

8. 2nastie Dec 8, 2016

That one is beautiful! Congrats!

9. omegaman Dec 9, 2016

Very nice example, congrats !

However, dial and hands look relumed to me. Pretty obvious actually, but it has been a very good job. I like that vintage colour.

Mark020 and lwong like this.
  10. JohnSteed Dec 9, 2016

That's a great catch @dr.raul .... Well done!

11. Dash1 Dec 9, 2016

I agree it looks re lumed, but it's a lovely looking watch. Hard to find such a nice bezel with these.

12. dr.raul Dec 9, 2016

No guys, the dial is fully original (my watchmaker carefully checked it), the only relumed part is the hour hand as it was done before in a non luminous material and a bit too thick (maybe you can see it in the first two pics) then my watchmaker relumed it using old tritium powdered and then matched the color of the other parts of the dial. All the rest is original

13. lwong Dec 9, 2016

Um. I'm gonna second the relumed vote nonetheless - based on what looks to be thick and messily applied coat which fudges over the indice markers; and the missing pinholes that one would expect from a factory-mounted originally-finished dial

But hey - if you believe its original, who am I to say...

uwsearch likes this.
  14. uwsearch Dec 9, 2016

I'm the lucky owner of her twin sister, and both are relumed, sorry about it !!

Mine was produced in July and sold in Geneva in August 1966... 50yo beauty !

Capture.JPG

Etp095 likes this.
  15. dr.raul Dec 9, 2016

Well, I'm not a great expert but it's strange that my watchmaker didn't notice it with his loupe as he works mainly on high level vintage watches since several years. Anyway I like it very much and I will never sell it so relumed or not it's not a big issue for me

16. Steve1haggart Dec 9, 2016

lovely example Mr D congratulations .

17. KstateSkier Dec 9, 2016

All that matters is that you love it... Its a beautiful 300! Nice score! Wear with pride friend.

Etp095 likes this.
  18. t_swiss_t Dec 9, 2016

As no one has said it yet, @dr.raul - dibs! (if you ever want to part with it :)

19. dr.raul Dec 26, 2016

@omegaman, @Ash, @uwsearch, @Iwong, I gathered some more info and now I can confirm that my dial has not been relumed:
    - my watchmaker checked it again with a loupe and confirmed no relume but more important
    - I contacted the seller (that by the way is one of the most known and respected experts on Seamaster worldwide) and he wrote to me today confirming that the dial is fully original and, most important, that it's NOT true that all these dials had the pinholes. He actually was the guy that brought up out the pinhole discussion about 15 years ago, what came out from his and other experts' researches was that in SOME productions and in SOME years a device was used to position the dial that left those pinholes, but this wasn't absolutely a rule, so there are dials fully originals without pinholes and judging the genuinity of a dial based only on this detail is a mistake. I am not an expert so I decided to rely on real experts, if you think you are great experts good for you.

20. Dash1 Dec 26, 2016

Absolutely, pin holes are not visible on many dials. I certainly wasn't basing my observations on that. I don't want to detract from your lovely watch in any way, only to further collective knowledge which is one of the points of the forum.
    It is impossible for anyone to say for sure from a photograph so we could well be wrong about your dial, our comments are only informed opinions. In my opinion watchmakers are not always the best judge of re lumes - experienced, model specific collectors are.
    It is incorrect that some sort of device left the pin holes. The brass dial actually has holes in it at the 12 and 6 hour markers (which may have been used to align the dial from the rear) and the fresh lume could sink into these holes leaving the 'pin hole.'
    Choose your experts carefully.

Traveler likes this.