Forums Latest Members

Finally a Speedmaster after all these years.

1. Kevzep Mar 23, 2019

Hi Guys,
    My first post here, normally I am on a HiFi forum in a technical advisory capacity, but I love a good watch and have done since I can remember.
    My father always had Seiko Chronographs, so naturally on my 21st Birthday I was given a Seiko 7A28-7070 Chronograph which in some ways is a bit of a Speedmaster inspired model. I've worn the watch for 32 years, three bracelets later and many services its still a great watch.
    I have a TAG Aquaracer for a dress watch, I hardly ever wear it, but its a nice piece. HOWEVER, I must have been maybe 7 or 8 years old and saw an ad in a National Geographic magazine for the Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moon Watch", now I was and still are fascinated and mesmerised by Space flight, Mercury, Gemini and Apollo, naturally when I saw they wore the speedmaster on the Moon, I was captivated and have always wanted to have an Omega "Moon Watch" as I have always called them.
    Yesterday, the guy I work for came to visit me, and presented me with a square white box. I opened it and inside was Speedmaster!! I have been talking about them at work lately with the Apollo 11 50th this year and all.
    He had gone ahead and purchased one for me without me knowing and just gave it to me. Obviously purchased off eBay, just the watch, no box, paperwork history or anything like that.
    The bracelet has been adjusted for a very small wrist and of course without the box or anything there were no links etc etc with it.
    So I've measured them up, the bracelet is a 1998/849. I have purchased the two links I believe I need and a tool to remove/install the pins. Well, that all wont turn up nearly quick enough!!
    Anyway I have no idea how old it is, here are some pics, the serial number is 7084539 (located underneath on the actual body near where the bracelet attaches), note the Seiko in there too doing its best against the 'real' Moon watch.
    It doesn't really matter how old it is, its obviously not vintage but all good, I intend on wearing it regularly.
    I believe the crystal is the acrylic type.
    If anyone sees anything glaring that I should know, feel free to chime in.
    I have never had a manual winding watch before, so I am not sure how much and how often it should be wound.
    I am wondering if I should get it serviced or whether I should run it for a while and see how it keeps time?
    Anyway looking forward to hearing from the experts.
    IMG_7703.JPG IMG_7705.JPG IMG_7709.JPG

2. robinhook Mar 23, 2019

Congrats!! What a nice boss to gift you a Speedy!

Not an expert but I believe the serial number 7084539 you provided is missing a digit. It should be 8 digit. Assuming it starts with 70, based on the chart below it should be manufactured in 2004, and the model number should be 3570.50.
    http://clockmaker.com.au/rolex_serial_numbers.html

The bezel has a few dings but everything else looks good to my eyes. For service needs, I recommend you bring it to a local watchmaker to get a timegrapher read. With the daily +/- rate, beat error, and amplitude, one can tell whether a service is needed soon.

3. WYO_Watch Mar 23, 2019

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup: that’s a very thoughtful gift. I talk about watches at work too, but my colleagues aren’t that interested ::yawn::

Make sure to post some photos of it on your wrist! And check out some other threads if you want to see some leather strap ideas.

AveConscientia likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 23, 2019

Great luminova hesalite Speedy!!!

Exactly as still used in space!!!

mydeafcat, Omegafanman and Kevzep like this.
  5. Kevzep Mar 23, 2019

Thanks guys!!
    Yes the serial number is actually 77084539, the first digit was a bit tricky to see, so it might be around 2006ish?
    But anyway, nobody has come on screaming fake, so thats great.
    I like the build, I am an engineering type person, and I just love the feel of the speedmaster, what a beautiful example of engineering.
    I can wait to get it on my wrist!!
    Speedmasters of this type have a story to tell, and I like to talk about it.

Als 27, robinhook and Foo2rama like this.
  6. DanMarin Mar 24, 2019

The fact that you couldn't see the first digit at the beginning means that the watch seen some polish at some point..:)..but anyway enjoy it...

7. Kevzep Mar 24, 2019

Yes possibly, a little more research tells me its likely a 1999-2000 model.

Now since I wont be wearing it al the time, I need to find a box for it, I can't believe people discard the boxes and paperwork for these, I still have the box and paperwork for my Seiko from some 32 years ago, but then on the other hand its hardly surprising.

I can actually foresee this wont be my only Omega or my only Speedmaster...

Als 27 likes this.
  8. robinhook Mar 24, 2019

Certainly not fake with my limited experience. I don’t recall seeing any fake speedies that are even close to the real one. Enjoy it!

Als 27 likes this.
  9. robinhook Mar 24, 2019

Box and paper usually means ~10% more in resell value.

What are you looking at for the next Omega or speedy?

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 24, 2019

Some people used to get a badge for this. I just can't remember, was it @alam or @adam78 ?

11. snake.doctor Mar 24, 2019

Very nice gift from your boss. Enjoy your moonwatch !

Als 27 and Kevzep like this.
  12. Kevzep Mar 24, 2019

I'd rather pay the extra for the box and paper if I had the choice.

Being a Space Nut I would like to look at some of the other space/apollo models, I am just learning what these are currently, there is a lot to choose from...

Als 27 and snake.doctor like this.
  13. snake.doctor Mar 24, 2019

Don't start on this, it will suck you up...

I bought my first Apollo-related Speedie this year after looking at it for almost a decade. And now that I have it, I'm considering adding the others to the collection....

BatDad likes this.
  14. alam Mar 24, 2019

nice gesture from your boss! :thumbsup: however, you still qualify for the Speedy club membership regardless of how you got your Speedy, so welcome!

@oddboy is officially the designated OF member to present membership cards during my absence.. :D

and btw, @Kevzep , I need to put in touch my boss with yours...enjoy your new Speedy!

:)

5752D33D-A034-42AA-B427-245E2445D40A.jpeg
    jankymutt, BatDad, Seaborg and 2 others like this.
  15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 24, 2019

Noted!

alam likes this.
  16. Kevzep Mar 24, 2019

Too late, I have been looking at options already, and I have been sucked into high end audio too, I must be a sucker, but one happy sucker!!

jankymutt and Als 27 like this.
  17. Kevzep Mar 24, 2019

The truth is I was saving for one already, I had decided I was getting one, it was just a matter of when. Whats your boss's number?:D
    I am already looking for my next Speedy............

18. ewand Mar 24, 2019

robinhook likes this.
  19. robinhook Mar 24, 2019

Bravo! hand shake with a fellow audio lover on the watch forum!

Kevzep likes this.
  20. Kevzep Mar 24, 2019

Thanks for the welcome, yes those Seiko's are starting to climb in value, they are a very nice watch, very very accurate, the 1/10th sec sub dial is a hoot to watch, that sucker spins very very quickly as you can imagine, but only for the first 5mins, then it stops but when you hit stop on the stop watch it goes to the position it would have been if it continued to spin, power saving feature.
    The bracelet on it is actually a temporary one until I find an original one. Very lightweight watch, very comfortable.
    You can imagine, 32 years of everyday use, the bracelets take a hammering, that is the 3rd bracelet I have had on it.
    I like that particular model as the tachymeter is internal, its more "dressy" than the ones with the tachymeter on an external bezel. Also the external bezel's get a bit "beat up".
    But things are progressing and now I have the Speedy, the links I need are on the way and I can't wait to size the bracelet up and finally get it on my wrist.
    Then I am getting a box for it, there seems to be quite a few to choose from on the bay, a box is essential in my book as I wont be wearing it every day, and I don't want to just leave it laying about.
    And of course I can now make my Apollo Space mission display too, so I am looking at various Saturn V , command module and LEM models....
    Not to mention, there is also a need for a Rolex Submariner too.......the list never ends!!

Als 27, robinhook, WYO_Watch and 2 others like this.