Forums Latest Members

Final check on a Breitling Top Time 810 Mk2

1. Darkhorse Oct 20, 2019

Gents/Ladies:

I'm in the final stages of deciding on a purchase of a 1972 Top Time 810 Mk 2. I've been trying to get smart on the particular styles, what to look for, and signs of unoriginal parts. However, I feel I'm still new enough to the game where I'd like some expert knowledge. I posted on TZ Breitling first, but the forum is not as active us we are, so thought I'd try here.

Pictures below - please let me know what you think. My key takeaways are signs of polishing, sort of strange looking caseback (black looking lettering?), and *maybe* a replacement crown (?) -- doesn't have the same shape as other versions I've seen, but I've also read that the Mk 2 may have beefed it up a bit. Also, do the sub hands look a bit short? The seller has it listed for $4k right now. Last note - this is listed as having a Venus 178 movement.

Breitling-Top-Time-810-Reverse-Panda-Front-Shot_1400x1400_crop_center.jpg Breitling-Top-Time-810-Reverse-Panda-AR-Shot_1400x1400_crop_center.jpg Breitling-Top-Time-810-Reverse-Panda-Caseback-Shot_1400x1400_crop_center.jpg Breitling-Top-Time-810-Reverse-Panda-Movement-Shot_1400x1400_crop_center.jpg

2. Lazy_Lightning Oct 21, 2019

The hand on the 12 hour subdial doesn't look correct, it seems too thin. The length looks fine, though. Pushers and crown could be replacements.

3. Edward53 Oct 29, 2019

4. ejj Oct 31, 2019

Is that the watch from Malaysia? Have you talked to the dealer about it?

5. ICONO Oct 31, 2019

Breitling has for years…been endlessly ‘franken’ed’…long before Rolex

Step carefully…

I really don’t like the caseback…and that ‘bridge’ is a little too clean, for my taste,…as indeed, is the lume

6. guaranteed.rohu Oct 31, 2019

as others have said, these watches are heavily franken'd nowadays, due to their increased heuer-like value. I think the 12 hour subdial hand is definitely incorrect, but not a big deal.

The chrono minutes hand also could be unoriginal - it maybe looks not exactly the same as the running seconds hand, but its hard to be sure to be honest.

If you're interested in a top time I have a friend who is selling one here in melbourne (one I used to own) that is definitely 100% original, and a rare first edition mk 1.1. I think the price being asked on chrono24 for this piece is definitely too high, but thats just my opinion.

7. guaranteed.rohu Oct 31, 2019

also I think this case is definitely a touch polished in places, and should accordingly decrease it's value