Forums Latest Members
  1. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 22, 2014

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 22, 2014

Anybody else get a bad taste from these (private) feedback bidders?
    It reminds me of the "restricted" caller-id on the phone.
    Anyone have good justification for any of this? I am willing to listen and learn.

Anyway, one sweet watch!

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

Excessive price for a watch with many shortcomings.

And the private feedback is for privacy - many don't want others to know what they are buying on ebay - not just watches I imagine but things that might prove to be embarrassing (I leave it to your imagination to think of examples).

4. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

Several of us were watching that and chatting privately. One of the group wanted it as the final piece to the foursome of Seamaster Pie Pans, but $6K was WAY too high.

5. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 22, 2014

I was going to play, but the slice in the case,
    not being able to get a hi res picture from
    alex(said he didn't have any:cautious: ), and some other
    things, I wasn't feeling it. My mental high bid wouldn't
    have been there anyway.

6. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

Don't forget the replaced markers on the bottom of the dial. :eek:

7. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 22, 2014

i figured ash would want it, he said so in
    what he was looking for in 2014 a few weeks ago.
    the no SWISS MADE bothered me, so did not
    being able to match up the fonts with the Sonny Dewan resto

8. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

Crazy price for a watch with so many flaws...::confused2::

9. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 22, 2014

yea I saw that hue on the 5 oclock marker
    couldn't figure out what that was
    all about

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2014

I liked this watch, I wanted, it, and I needed it, as its the one SMPP variant I don't have, but as Mike mentions in his Condition, Condition, Condition thread... this watch was a big of a dog. To do it justice I was considering buying it and then buying another 14k 2849 with arrowheads (non PP) and doing a case swap, and marker swap to get the dial and case up to an acceptable level. Its just not a $6k watch and as I was bidding, as soon as I saw it jump past 5K I bowed out, when it hit 6K I was genuinely shocked, as getting it back to top condition is not going to be cheap at all.

11. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 22, 2014

I'm just waiting for Ash to grow tired of his step dial calendar ;)

12. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 22, 2014

Here's what I don't get.
    If there are so few of these out there,
    why wouldn't the fonts and alignments match
    up with the sonny dewan restoration featured
    in Desmond's article. That doesn't compute.

13. pitpro Likes the game. Jan 22, 2014

14. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 22, 2014

My theory is a private bidder is a shill, and this will be relisted soon. More than theory actually, as it happened to me and I captured the item on a relist at my max bid.

But who knows for sure? The seller seems to have an unconditionally faithful group of bidders.

ron n likes this.
  15. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

Being a conspiracy nut and an observer of human behavior around objects costing a lot of money, I put a lot of weight behind the shill theory. However, it would be a tough pill to swallow if a seller of his caliber (pun intended :p) used that tactic. Not impossible, but improbable.

16. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 22, 2014

Ahh. But the private bidder is not the winner this case. He may be a shill but the final sale could be legit.

17. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 22, 2014

Hate to have to bring this out. But I think probability is he does engage in that tactic. I have been following his listings and have seen a few times the same watch has been listed more than once. Of course, it might be non-paying bidders but I need to be convinced. Just an example here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MENS-PIAGET...817997796?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item485e3243e4Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MENS-PIAGET...835804158?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item485f41f7fePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

18. nyc863 Jan 22, 2014

I wish ebay would adopt the same system as yahoo.co.jp auctions where the item is not closed until the highest bid has sat for whatever minutes unchallenged. This ridiculous last second rush is getting very old. It forces one to camp the listing on a fast connection, or invest in a sniping program for maximum impact. For ebay to call these auctions is silly, they aren't even sealed bid auctions unless you snipe.

19. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 22, 2014

To be truth I've been in situation where I am the winner on seller's auction and I have to back up due to Paypal address policy change. So above auction could be legit.

20. cristos71 Jan 23, 2014

Don't see the value there at all and amongst the other problems the lack of swiss made at the bottom of the dial is really unattractive and cause enough for rejection