Forums Latest Members

Feedback please on 2 vintage 60s diver Seamaster 300s

1. buddman Jul 4, 2015

Hello. Would really appreciate your feedback on these 2 watches. Other than the obvious condition issues, do they look correct? Restorable? If allowed, some ballpark price range would be helpful too.

Buddman.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Which Watch Next and Giff2577 like this.
  2. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jul 4, 2015

Christ, what's on that second movement, mud?!

3. buddman Jul 4, 2015

It's had a hard life, that's for sure.

4. calalum Jul 4, 2015

Yikes.

5. the future Jul 4, 2015

It all depends on how much you could get them for. The best thing about the 165.014 is that although the bezel is not in perfect shape, it is present, and it is in OK condition. I can't see the crown very well, but it appears to be rather small. Apart from that, everything is there, it's just a matter of condition. As for if they are restorable, sure they are, it just depends on what you want done and how much you want to spend. :)

6. cristos71 Jul 4, 2015

Although you haven't mentioned price these two are quite poor examples that would require serious effort and investment to bring them up to some kind of acceptable condition.

Even then for me the dial lume is too dark/muddy to ever make them outstanding examples. These two models are not really hard to find if you have a bit of patience.

So, to answer:

I wouldn't pay more than E1000 for the 165.014 and I wouldn't pay more than E1000 for the 165.024 either

Actually I'd rather pay more for better examples and although I do like a bit of wabi I'd rather pay more/keep looking for examples with better wabi.

VictorAlpha likes this.
  7. codice86 Jul 4, 2015

I noticed them as well, they are coming up for auction in the UK next week (with rather low estimates given the conditions)

8. lenny Jul 4, 2015

You never know, Hodinkee may feature them ;)...

persco and buddman like this.
  9. buddman Jul 4, 2015

I suspect the estimates are realistic given the condition, not despite the condition.

Edited Jul 4, 2015
  10. rogart ray it again, Ram. Jul 5, 2015

The 165.014 looks cool . It would be nice to clean it up and just service the movement and change the crystal and seals .But the other looks to far gone . Maybe for parts ?

11. michaelmc Jul 5, 2015

They may clean up better than you think, of course opposite could happen. I'd be concerned about moisture in movement as well. But if cheap & expectations not to high could be OK for some.

12. buddman Jul 5, 2015

Lots of private messages since I posted and general concepts is they will go for much more than the estimates, so the opportunity for a good score/cheap are perhaps not realistic. Boo.

13. cristos71 Jul 5, 2015

I disagree here, the only thing going for either of them IMHO are the original bezels and even these are not in the best shape.

The movements look in really bad and neglected state and neither of the watches come with the correct bracelet. These things can be overcome at a cost but crucially the dials and hands lume is very dark and doesn´t even remotely colour match on either watch. They both look to already have refilled hands. Also not a problem in itself to refill again to better match the dial but here I think the end result would be too dark and just wouldn´t warrant the time and expense.

14. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jul 5, 2015

I fear that either of these watches need that many parts they would end up like this broom.

15. Tom Dick and Harry Jul 5, 2015

I live about 1/2 a mile from Arthur Johnsons and will be at the auction as well as the preview so if anyone wants me to check any of these watches out drop me a PM

Cheers Tom