Forums Latest Members
  1. Brandonq21 Apr 14, 2018

I've been really excited to get my first vintage Omega Seamaster, but now as I am able to take a much closer look, it very clearly appears to be a re-dial. That's not necessarily a deal breaker, but I really want to ensure this is the real deal. Couple of observations--no "Swiss Made" at the bottom and the OMEGA appears to have been re-done when zooming in. These are the sellers pictures--I haven't had a chance to open her up. Purchased for about $400. Thoughts?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited Apr 20, 2018
  2. ulackfocus Apr 14, 2018

Redial.

3. jumpingsecond Apr 14, 2018

Redial and movement looks worn out. Can you return it?

4. Brandonq21 Apr 14, 2018

I don't know--it says seller doesn't accept returns, but I might be able to work something out with the seller. Do you think it's bad enough of a deal that it's worth trying?

Clearly I may falling into a newbie learning experience if so.

5. BenBagbag Apr 14, 2018

If it was misadvertised you are entitled to buyer protection. Post the seller description here. Assuming eBay?

Lucasssssss, Foo2rama and mydeafcat like this.
  6. Brandonq21 Apr 14, 2018

Yes, it was eBay. It doesn't seem to misrepresent anything, just lacks some of the relevant facts.

Description:
    "
    This 1959 Omega Seamaster is in beautiful shape! It was last serviced in 2015 when the mainspring and date bridge screw were replaced. It hasn't been tested on a timegrapher, but seems to keep accurate time, and would be a treasured addition to your collection! Dial is very clean and the quick set date function works. Serial number 17,535,347 and Reference number 14740. The black band is a Hirsch genuine leather, water resistant strap. It is worn, but still has some good life left in it.

I'm only selling to offset a new watch purchase. And while I don't have much vintage watch experience, this one seems in very good shape, and always found its way into my most important meetings, events, etc.
    "

7. mydeafcat Apr 14, 2018

Hmmmm. Redial for certain. Seller was either completely naive him/herself or purposely vague with the description. Nothing terribly incriminating, I’m afraid. Still, at the very least you must email back and state your thoughts and concerns. Note the Seamaster font. Now, here’s the thing: if you like it wear it in good health, hang out here on OF, and learn learn learn from the best. Its been 6 months for me and i feel I’m still in grade 1 (my wife says the same thing). Besides, I t’s unlikely many folks will come up to you on the street grab your wrist and comment on your watch’s font, lack of Swiss Made etc. Of course, a few watch fans may notice you’re sporting a vintage Omega. If the seller proves immovable, keep it and wear it well.

Brandonq21 likes this.
  8. adi4 Apr 14, 2018

As terrible as some eBay sellers are, there are some honest ones that just don't know what they're selling. Couldn't hurt to reach out the seller to see if you guys can come to a resolution.

Brandonq21 and mydeafcat like this.
  9. Brandonq21 Apr 14, 2018

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I'll reach out to him. Seemed like a really reasonable person, so there's a chance at the positive resolution. I definitely have a lot to learn, but thankfully there's a forum like this with plenty of knowledgeable folks to learn from.

mydeafcat and jumpingsecond like this.
  10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 14, 2018

pmontoyap and mydeafcat like this.
  11. Davidt Apr 15, 2018

That watch is terrible. Try and return it then spend a bit of time reading up before your first purchase.

In the end you’ll be glad you did.

mydeafcat likes this.
  12. alam Apr 15, 2018

..about $350 too high..:(

FIFY :)

13. Brandonq21 Apr 20, 2018

An update here. Fortunately, the seller on eBay was a really decent guy and we worked out a return. I definitely got lucky that he was as genuine as he was. As another poster thought might be the case, he really had no idea it was a redial and wishes he had known that when he originally acquired it.

I went ahead and purchased a beautiful vintage seamaster from a frequent poster here. It's everything I hoped it'd be. Glad I found my way to OF.

Thanks again to those on here for sharing their thoughts and for the educational resources.