Forums Latest Members
  1. bags1971 Mar 10, 2018

I bought the 2 redialed watches from cad290 (who was a good seller btw)

Shipment came yesterday from Fedex and noticed the box had been squashed in one corner

One of the watches the lug has broken off hopefully my watch guy has said it can be lazerwelded back on

Ive put in a claim but not sure if cad290 has to as he was the original poster the girl in the UK didnt know

20180309_153905[2].jpg 20180310_074109[1].jpg
  2. alam Mar 10, 2018

3. ICONO Mar 10, 2018

Curious outcome, for the very localised crush damage of a padded item, in a rigid box

I would expect the crystal to go first…Any hoof marks to suggest, it had been stood on ?

Hope you resolve it soon

Tony C. likes this.
  4. bags1971 Mar 10, 2018

I’ve kept the box just in case they want to see it

cad290 had packed them in bubble wrap it’s like something’s been dropped on it in that corner

5. 77deluxe Mar 10, 2018

Or something (delivery van) drove over it...

6. bama2141 Mar 10, 2018

Gads! Shipment is always the most stressful part of the transaction for me. I’m constantly checking the tracking number system, fretting about being home for a signature, and hoping no damage has occurred.

Hope everything turns out well for you! BTW —- nice watch!

Butchhuff and Rumar89 like this.
  7. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2018

agree... its the one area that the seller and the buyer are helpless

8. southtexas Mar 10, 2018

I applaud OP for being a reasonable recipient of a broken watch. NO-I am not the seller-but it’s refreshing to see nonethelesss.

NOTSHARP, oddboy and Butchhuff like this.
  9. alam Mar 10, 2018

Ok, true - but on the othet hand, whenever I mail a watch, is packed in a two-box configuration w/lots of cushion material beteween the boxes to prevent the unpleasent surprise of a broken watch at destination.

Butchhuff likes this.
  10. southtexas Mar 10, 2018

I fully agree, and I do the same. Unfortunately, not everyone knows how to safely package these delicate vintage items. I’m just impressed at his calm demeanor (can’t say I’d be the same!).

Butchhuff likes this.
  11. bags1971 Mar 10, 2018

i'm sure fedex will reimburse me repair is about £60 + the watches were very cheap

southtexas likes this.
  12. bags1971 Mar 15, 2018

Just had a email back from FEDEX they say the package was insufficiently packaged there for they wont honour any claim :(

13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 15, 2018

Unfortunate, but it underscore the value of shipping watches in (small) relatively crush-proof containers.

14. dan7800 Mar 15, 2018

Very sorry to hear about this.

I've heard that some people will open the package at the mail facility with the manager present to provide extra verification that the correct item is being shipped/in the package. Is this a suggested practice?

I agree with shipping being the most frustrating part.

15. ICONO Mar 15, 2018

After fretting about sending watches around the world safely, …I finally resorted to the solution of old, metal, ‘snap shut’ spectacle cases…the sort that are vinyl covered on the outside, and felt lined internally…usually acquired from ‘Charity shops’ for pennies… their rigidity makes them perfect for shipping watches through a global post service

They weigh ‘bugger all’ and are strong enough to be stood on…(although I always pack them in an outer box as well )

16. gemstar Mar 15, 2018

Clearly the package was damaged on route..And this insufficient packaging claim is just B.S as any insurance claim is usually denied at first hoping to get the person filing the claim to back off.. I would press on. How was this package insufficient? It was damaged due to the carrier and thus is liable.Keep at them.. Also just for principal reasons you can go to the court file small claims papers..They will settle..

Edited Mar 15, 2018
  17. bags1971 Mar 16, 2018

what they say is the watch should of been in a small box not bubble wrap

Good afternoon John,

Please accept our apologies for the difficulties you have experienced with the above shipment. Federal Express takes pride in our ability to safely transport and deliver the important shipments of our Customers and we fully understand your concerns.

Unfortunately, the photographs have revealed that the difficulties experienced with this shipment were as the result of the packaging used. The inner packaging is considered to be inadequate and insufficient protection for the contents – there was room for the item to move around inside the box and was not enough to protect the watch.

The packaging used would not withstand the rigours of normal transportation handling and it is on this basis that we must respectfully deny any claim made on this shipment.

We will always make every effort to handle all packages with the utmost care, however we are unable to guarantee personal handling throughout transit. The majority of our sort facilities are automated and the packages are required to transfer from ramps thereby possibly incurring some bumping or possible drops of up to one meter when transferring through these facilities, This means we cannot adhere to any orientational markings. Therefore it is the shipper’s responsibility to ensure goods are packaged to withstand air transportation handling.

Please refer to our terms and conditions http://www.fedex.com/gb/services/terms/.

I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience this incident has caused. If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me. We do value your business and look forward to serving your future air express needs.

Please contact your shipper directly in regards to this shipment and its damage.

Yours sincerely

18. alam Mar 16, 2018

As I expected the answer would be from Fedex. No surprise here....

19. larryganz The cable guy Mar 16, 2018

Looks like the seller needs to lean on them as well.

20. gemstar Mar 16, 2018

It's all a smoke screen. They deny everything..Yet will not say hey sorry we damaged your package. Just fill out a court paper send it to them and instantly they will cave in.