Forums Latest Members

FedEx claim - recommendations for success?

1. hmss007 Oct 6, 2018

Hi all,

I might need to file a claim with FedEx next week if they don’t find my shipment. I overnighted a fellow member my Planet Ocean to trade for another watch and, according to FexEx, it was received at the Memphis distribution center but as of today hasn’t left. It was supposed to be delivered in Thursday by 12:00 PM.

FedEx has a trace on it but I’m starting to think someone in Memphis is wearing a nice Planet Ocean.

I had the package insured but since I don’t have a sales receipt and I didn’t take pictures of the packing process or final package as it was handed over for shipping, I’m worried I will have trouble getting the money from FedEx.

For those of you that might have experienced this nightmare, were you successful in getting your claim? If so, what is your recommendation to make it a smooth process?

I’m still hopeful it will show up but preparing for the worst.

Thanks.

2. Marty McDawg Oct 6, 2018

I am sending positive vibes and have a feeling things will work ok...

That being said, I had a friends expensive package go “missing” in Memphis as well. It left a terrible taste in my mouth. That was almost a decade ago and I still err towards UPS if I have the choice to avoid the Memphis hub all together.

But it’s just Saturday and it was supposed to be Thursday so I think you are still within the window of general shipping delays and I would not worry yet. Yet. Although Monday is a holiday so that will add one more day to your worrying. Hopefully you’ll see some movement today.

3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 6, 2018

I am sorry it is missing, but it's insured so why are you thinking it will be difficult getting the money if the watch does not show up?

4. Dan S Oct 6, 2018

Packages often turn up after going into a black hole for a while, so hopefully that will be the case here. Sorry, I don't have firsthand experience with FedEx insurance. Fingers crossed.

Millenary Watches likes this.
  5. Georgieboy58 Oct 6, 2018

6. midcentury Oct 6, 2018

Once it's been scanned in to their system as "picked up" or "tendered," etc., that is proof that they have possession of the package, so you're good there. They will need you to substantiate the value somehow, though.

However I sincerely hope that won't be necessary! I had an extremely valuable package go missing with USPS, and the worst part was the driver never scanned it in (which means they would never have accepted the insurance claim). After weeks of calling around to local POs, it was found sitting on a shelf, innocently missed/forgotten.

Don't lose hope, and just stay on them about it.

7. hmss007 Oct 6, 2018

Thanks everyone for the good karma, I'm going to remain optimistic as well. I'm just disappointed as I was hoping to have a new watch this weekend to wear in exchange for my Planet Ocean.

@midcentury You nailed my concern. I'm not quite sure how I can prove the value of the watch since I have no proof of purchase (it was a trade with someone on this forum back on April) and I didn't get it appraised prior to sending and I did not document the packing, etc.

@BlackTalon When looking at the FedEx claim process and the supporting documentation they want (https://www.fedex.com/en-us/customer-support/claims.html#SingleClaim), that's where my paranoia kicks in. I have the serial number, but no "Proof-of-value documentation".

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this all works itself out over the weekend.

Thanks

8. midcentury Oct 6, 2018

Got any good friends in the jewelry industry who can write and backdate an appraisal? Not exactly on the up and up, but if they know you personally it might be okay.

Marty McDawg likes this.
  9. MikeMan2727 Oct 6, 2018

Did you insure through Fedex? Their insurance is capped for jewelry and watches at $1000 I believe.

10. hmss007 Oct 6, 2018

I'll just hope it doesn't come to needing a claim. To add complication to the matter, I shipped it from work through our shipping department, so I'm guessing any claims would need to be initiated through them as they are the actual account holder.

@midcentury If it does come down to appraised value, I'm hoping I can use some online references to current sales for the valuation. I want to maintain my karma points during this process - just feeling like I'm at a deficit with them for now. So appreciate all the good karma members are sending.

@MikeMan2727 I heard about this possible insurance limit of $1000 for watches and jewelry, but I can't find any documentation on FedEx site to support that (haven't really looked too hard either). Hopefully it won't come down to that though.

11. MikeMan2727 Oct 6, 2018

I'm hopeful it will be found as well! I have had watches sit around at various facilities for weeks then just turn up randomly.

This is all I could find and it's from 2010: http://www.fedex.com/us/smallbusiness/updates/may2010/shipping-jewelry.html

12. hmss007 Oct 6, 2018

MikeMan2727 likes this.
  13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 6, 2018

Sorry, but you will be out of luck if you think that FedEx will cover anywhere near the value of the watch. I don't believe that they will pay a $1000 claim on a watch, though I could be wrong about that. $1000 would be the best case, though.

14. hmss007 Oct 6, 2018

If that is the case, what’s the point of getting insurance on the shipment? I paid for it as part of the shipping agreement. Seems like it could be a box of marbles but if insured for an amount, that should be honored.

Hopefully this will be a moot point and all will work out and package will be delivered early next week and in the same condition as when I sent it.

15. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 6, 2018

Yes, I hope that your shipment arrives. But it is well known that FedEx does not insure watches to any remotely high amounts, and the vast majority of people who use the service, myself included, use third-party insurers (e.g. Parcel Pro).

A simple search should have revealed those basics.

Millenary Watches and Wryfox like this.
  16. MikeMan2727 Oct 6, 2018

I'm not really sure what the wording on their site means: "Declared value is not insurance, and FedEx does not sell insurance."

If they don't sell insurance, how do they charge you for insurance? haha

17. hmss007 Oct 6, 2018

I’m just going to wait to see what happens next week. My original intent was to see if anyone had made claims before and if successful, any guideance.

Go Dawgs!

18. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 6, 2018

The sell insurance at a very high premium...but they also clearly state that jewelry and watches are not covered.
    You have a max of $1000 in coverage regardless of what you paid for.

19. Thrillhouse847 Oct 7, 2018

I don't know how helpful this will be because it was a very different situation but I had to make a claim with FedEx once when a bass guitar I sold was quite badly damaged during shipping. The process was probably different for that than for something lost in transit but the documentation requirements seemed similar.

I didn't have any kind of definitive receipt or appraisal of the value but I sent copies of the emails between the buyer and myself which showed the agreed upon price as well as copies of recent sales of the same instrument and that seemed to satisfy them well enough. Also, the would only accept materials by mail at the time (this was only maybe two years ago) so I had to actually print everything and send it to them by mail (which greatly showed the process down).

They also wanted to contact the buyer directly and get information from him (probably to ensure the damage was genuine and he want trying to pull some scan, which he wasn't). All in all, they ended up paying not the full insured amount but enough to cover the repairs needed but it was a long back and forth process with me sending documentation and them asking for more, etc.

I hope it works out for you but be prepared for the possibility of a lengthy process before any kind of resolution is reached.

Millenary Watches likes this.
  20. rohnin Oct 7, 2018

These kinds of stories scare me when selling. That’s why I always try to do transactions locally if possible. Good luck!