Forums Latest Members

Fear And Loathing In Le Locle

1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 23, 2013

(credit to MMMD for the inspiration for the title) I recently had a short teaching gig in Old Yurp, and it being not far from one of my favorite watch cities, decided to take a day to check out a rarity I've had my eye on.

[​IMG]

Munich is an epicenter of the vintage watch trade. In addition to its watch fairs (which were not on when I was there), it has a number of vintage watch dealers. The holy of holies is here...

[​IMG]

...where no less than 4 dealers operate within about 100 yards of one another

I was not there to browse haphazardly. My objective was a rare gold Primero reference, the G 383. For a watch that was produced in only 200 specimens, a surprising number (4) have passed through Munich in the past 2- 3 years. Two were on offer simultaneously in fact. One was acquired by another collector the week before I arrived. Fortunately, it was not my first choice. The other was still there and the nice dealer was kind enough to put it on hold a few days in advance.

The G 383 is also known as the Poker Chip Primero, for self evident reason.

[​IMG]

The dial provides rather convincing evidence that psychoactive drugs had reached LeLocle by 1969.

[​IMG]

This was not a watch I wanted to acquire on the basis of photos, for the simple reason that I wasn't sure I would like it. It's a jarring, disorienting design the first time you see it. I don't know of anything quite like it in the repertoire of Swiss watch design, and it is certainly not like its sister Primeros. But it is seriously beautiful in person, a feast of detail that is unexpectedly coherent in its final form.

[​IMG]

It is housed in a 40mm case - amazing enough on its own - in substantial gold with a hidden crown and underslung lugs, which it shares with a sister reference, the G 382.

[​IMG]

The relumed hands are unfortunate, but the watch - while certainly with signs of use - was otherwise is in extremely good shape. No one has mucked about with polishing the case (I had my G 382 on the wrist for a side by side comparison), the dial is free of the small chips and flakes that often appear around its circumference, and the steel hour markers are undisturbed.

[​IMG]

Inside, a 31J Primero - an excellent-enough movement in its standard configuration.

[​IMG]

The aspect that sealed the deal was this entirely consistent gonzo touch

[​IMG]

Yessir, it was on a real vintage chicken strap!
    ([​IMG])

Here it is with its sister reference, the G 382. (admit it, the chicken strap works)

[​IMG]

Pretty scenery on the hop home
    [​IMG]

Radiumpassion, x3no, adam78 and 12 others like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2013

Yeah but did you get any cool souvenirs like some lederhosen or one of those funny hats with the feather :thumbsup:

3. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2013

Heeeee shoots, he scores! :thumbsup:

4. papaebetu Mar 23, 2013

Lou, do you remember ? ;)

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 23, 2013

Very well. You were right about the hour markers - that is clear to me now.

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 23, 2013

Great score! Most watches only give you that subtle 'T' after the "SWISS MADE," but on this baby the whole dial is a radiation warning sign. ;)
    But seriously, while some manufactures are commemorating boring stuff like a moon landing, Zenith is saying "Hey, what about Woodstock? Apollo 11 isn't the only trip that happened in 1969, baby. Time to put a little psychedelia into the mix." Love it. Certainly the most outlandish Zenith of the pre-Nataf era, but still oozing class. This one is making its way closer to my short list.

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 23, 2013

By the way, does this mean you've closed out the early Primeros and are finally going to give someone else a chance? :)

Veritas99 likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Mar 23, 2013

It appears there's more than one person curious about that. ;)

9. andy_s Mar 24, 2013

'Gonzo' - Thompson would be proud - "You took too much man, too much, too much...” - a feast for the eyes and lots of eclectic interest in this one Lou, well worth the trip I'd say. ;)
    Andy

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 24, 2013

Well, I think there are many who haven't waited for any permission from me! For the record, I still seek a G 581 - and then there will remain only the super rare references.

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 24, 2013

Fabulous!

12. Dablitzer Mar 24, 2013

Amazing Piece! And very nice pictures! :)

13. Noodia Mar 24, 2013

Awesome find, pictures and post, congratulations Lou !

14. Interstatetime Mar 25, 2013

I love the dial...love the whole package. Congrats Lou.

JohnCote

15. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 25, 2013

Travelling + watches, always a winning combo. Awesome thread Lou :)

16. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Mar 25, 2013

All other references are now on my wishlist except for the G581.

17. alexg Mar 26, 2013

Just one word : bravo !

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 8, 2013

Just one question...how do you read it?

My eyes hurt! ;)

Seriously, that is one very nice EP chrono.
    gatorcpa

19. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 9, 2013

Well done. May I be so brave as to ask what sort of money this would be worth? ::money::