Forums Latest Members
  1. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Nov 25, 2018

Perusing the Christie's lots of an upcoming auction I noticed something interesting: it's Franklin D. Roosevelt's watch that is believed to be given to him by his wife Eleanor as a wedding gift. That is quite a provenance! Nice watch too: 18k gold Audemars hunter case quarter repeater.

2-x-1-main-alt-new.jpg

Rryan, Noisy Nova, Larry S and 4 others like this.
  2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Nov 25, 2018

Ohhhhhhh..... want.

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 25, 2018

Interesting where that one will end up ? but ::love::

4. Millenary Watches Nov 27, 2018

What an incredible condition as well! Will it exceed the estimates?:rolleyes:

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 27, 2018

Is it me or are they a bit cagey about the provenance? Estimate seems low for a man of his accomplishments and significance.

6. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Nov 27, 2018

Apparently it was sold a few times in the past at auctions. The original consignor to Sotheby's was James Roosevelt, who was FDR and Eleanor's eldest son. The watch sold for $18,400 in 2005 and $27,485 in 2012. Curious that such a provenance is worth less than a garden variety vintage tool watch.

7. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Dec 6, 2018

The watch sold for 50 k$ (+ fee & taxes).

Larry S likes this.
  8. Professor Jan 29, 2019

I vaguely remember a fine man's diamond ring that had belonged to FDR being found in the sand of a beach by some old guy with a metal detector. Don't remember anything else about the find. I think it was in Florida but not sure.

Found this
    "Franklin Delano Roosevelt wore a calendar wristwatch with the name “Tiffany & Co.” on the dial and a Movado movement inside. He also owned a minute-repeater pocket watch from the Geneva-based A. Frankfeld company. The watch is elaborately engraved with FDR’s initials. The lid bears the inscription “Presented to/President Roosevelt/by/Dr. Boldan/Former Minister of Education/at Dinner of/Lions Club of Havana on/January 30, 1942.”

Possibly another watch altogether.

More good reading here
    https://www.watchtime.com/featured/watch-u-s-presidents-timepieces/

Edited Jan 29, 2019