Forums Latest Members
  1. tooncinator Jun 17, 2017

Hi all, new member here.

I recently found a watch amongst my mothers jewelry (she passed away in January.) My father passed away in 2009 so unfortunately I have no one to ask about this watch I found. Sorry if the pictures aren't among the best quality, I'm horrible at taking pictures. Also, I understand the best way to learn about a watch will be to remove the back, but I have no idea how to do so and I would rather not take the chance of breaking it.

I twisted the winding knob thing on the side, and much to my surprise, the watch started working. Although now I'm a bit paranoid it might mess it up since apperently these watches should be serviced and lubricated every 5 years or so, and I highly doubt it's been serviced within the last 10 years, and quite likely a lot longer. Anyway, I'm hoping someone could help me learn more about this watch. The band is a bit small for me but I'd still like to find a way to wear it, or at the very least if its genuine, I'd like to get it serviced.

Thanks.

watch 1.jpg watch2.jpg watch3.jpg
    noelekal and Spruce like this.
  2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 17, 2017

nice piece... I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some information about it. take it to a watchmaker and get pictures of the inside case back and movement, then we can ID it properly.

then, get it serviced, fit a longer band, wear it and enjoy Dad's watch.

tooncinator likes this.
  3. tooncinator Jun 18, 2017

Thanks for the reply. I'll be ordering a tool this week to unscrew the back and try and get some more pictures of the inside.

4. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jun 19, 2017

Not really much point in this in my opinion. Sorry but you may as well take get the watchmaker to open it for you and take the pictures before or after it is serviced.
    The watch is genuine not sure that the crown (winding knob on the side) is original. It is very much worth getting it serviced (oil, lube and adjust) by a watchmaker with experience in vintage watches. They may also be able to find the correct crown, and it would look much better with a new crystal (glass on the front) not many people here would recommend sending it back to Omega, as they are likely to replace pretty much everything and charge you a small fortune for doing so. Don't try winding it up again until after it has been serviced as you may well cause damage to the movement.
    Once the above has been done, there is no reason why you cannot wear it every day for many years to come. Unless swimming, mountain biking etc.
    And if you let us know where in the world you are, someone may well be able to suggest a competent watchmaker for the service.

tooncinator likes this.
  5. tdn-dk Jun 19, 2017

Bumper and tooncinator like this.
  6. tooncinator Jun 19, 2017

Thank you for your answer. I will be in the northern oklahoma area here soon. Any idea what a good price range would be for servicing something like this is? I'm short of funds to put towards it right now but hopefully soon I may have some available. I found some pretty cheap tools online used for atleast opening the watch up, and my curiosity won't let me wait too long to find out more about the watch.

I'm new to the realm of watches, but I've always wanted to invest some time into it. I've been hearing all kinds of ads for those Mvmt watches and got excited about a good watch with a low cost entry... but then I looked at the watches they had and wasnt impressed with anything. But after finding this watch, I think I found a good starting point. and having sentimental value makes it even better.

7. JackDaniels83 Jun 19, 2017

You will likely scratch the case back with such a cheap tool. Take it to a watchmaker to open it up. Tell him to make a picture of the movement and a offer for a service. Then you know what you have to expect.

8. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jun 19, 2017

I would guess it would cost about US$300 for full service and crown.

9. tooncinator Jun 19, 2017

Would it be worth spending that much to get it in working order? I can't imagine the watch itself is worth that much. Would i be better spending 300 on a new watch? My only other thought is im not sure its a good size for my wrist, still trying ti decide if i should wear it or not. I like the looks of the watch and obviously theres sentimental value to it.

10. Bumper Jun 20, 2017

It's your Dads watch, you will never find another no matter how much money you have. It is quite literally priceless...

Edward53, Vitezi and jumpingsecond like this.
  11. JackDaniels83 Jun 20, 2017

A new watch for 300 will not last half as long as the Omega will run again after service. I think you can get a service for around 150, it is only a simple hand wound movement. I paid 250€ for the last service of an Automatic Chronograph, that's much more work.

jumpingsecond likes this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 20, 2017

Service and a clean ( no polishing ) and you have a new watch for $300. Bargain all day long in my book. ( don't shop around on price when servicing as the cheaper the job is never the better job )
    You will get over the size quiet quickly once you start wearing it...

13. JackDaniels83 Jun 20, 2017

Size should not be the point. I like the old watches and even wear my Mido Multiforts from the 40s. They are only 25 to 30 excluding crown.

14. tooncinator Jun 21, 2017

Thanks for the replies. You all convinced me to get it serviced and just enjoy it. It will be a couple months before i have the funds set aside to do it, but i did have another question. If im looking to get another crown for it (since this one doesnt appear to be original) and maybe another crystal cover, is that something i need to procure and take to the watchmaker, or will they find it? Amd if its something i get, do you all have recommendations for good places to search for it?

15. JackDaniels83 Jun 22, 2017

When you want to know if parts are still available from Omega you have to get the reference number from the inside of the case back and ask a Omega service point if they still can order them. If not, you would have to search the internet or contact some of the Omega specialized watchmakers that are recommended in different forum threads.

16. tooncinator Jun 22, 2017

On a slightly related note, do any of you have book recommendations about mechanical watches? Im thinking about getting some cheap watches on ebay or something and some tools and take some apart, and maybe put them back together. (Dont worry I don't plan on trying to service this omega watch myself)