Forums Latest Members
  1. ybwright Jun 16, 2017

Hello,
    I'm new to this forum and hope I can get some information about an Omega watch that my late father wore for years.

I believe he purchased the watch in the 1960's in Columbus, Ohio but I do not know if it was from a jeweler or department store. He wore it all the time and it is well worn!

It is a Seamaster DeVille with a Speidel gold toned stretch watch band. The back of the watch is engraved with "Seamaster". It is not waterproof. The band, the crystal and back of the watch are pretty worn with quite a few scratches. Several photos are attached.

I would like to:
    - Know if the watch is a genuine Omega, if possible.
    - An estimate of when the watch might have been made and marketed.
    - A rough estimate of the value of the watch
    - If it is a genuine Omega, should I replace the crystal and band and will it affect the value?

Thanks for any help forum members can provide.

Yvonne image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG IMG_2884.JPG IMG_2895.JPG

2. omegastar Jun 17, 2017

Hi yvonne and welcome to OF,
    1. It looks genuine and authentic.
    2. It was made around 1963 to 1967 roughly.
    3. In the present condition it is worth 200 to 250 US$.
    4. You can replace the glass with a proper Omega glass, that watch needs a special glass. You should chande the bracelet.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Mounir

3. Noddyman Jun 17, 2017

I also think authentic but suspect the dial has been redone at some point as the fonts look slightly off. You can compare with mine. As you say it's quite worn with cracks appearing in the case back. It looks to be gold (but hard to tell from photos) and if so will be 18k. I am sure you will want to keep but the scrap value could well be higher if the case is indeed cracked. Enjoy the watch!

IMG_0448.JPG
  4. ConElPueblo Jun 17, 2017

Hi Yvonne.

Your father's watch is completely original, the dial too.
    Regarding value, I'd say that the damage on the rear of the case has effectively made this a parts watch - I would say that the value is around $100-150, perhaps less.

Noddyman likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 17, 2017

I agree.

It looks like your Dad was a human battery!

That level of corrosion is usually the result of perspiration and tiny amounts of electricity produced by the body.

I suggest you get a service if you intend to wear it, get a jeweller to stabilise the corrosion, chuck the Speidel band for a strap and wear it as a great memory of your Dad.

chronos, Spruce and marco like this.
  6. Noddyman Jun 17, 2017

Interesting, I didn't realise the fonts still had variations once they started putting De Ville on the dials. One to watch out for. Thanks

7. ybwright Jun 18, 2017

Thanks to all for info and your advice. It's good to know that the watch is probably authentic. I'm going to take the advice to have it serviced, replace the glass and band and wear it memory of my father. In the meantime, I'm going to look for a modern Omega watch I like and continue the family tradition!! I'm glad I found this forum. Thanks again everyone.

ConElPueblo, X350 XJR and Davidt like this.
  8. ConElPueblo Jun 19, 2017

I think that your is similar to the OPs, but that scratches on the crystal distorts the view of the dial.