Forums Latest Members

Fat Lady (Hodinkee sold)

1. gminnj Sep 20, 2017

2. WatchVaultNYC Sep 20, 2017

In related news, I just picked up a 16700, which is probably the most wearable GMT master for me. Quickset date unlike the 1675 (change date the loooooong way around) or the 16710 (where you can only spin the hour hand quickly - and I don't need the independent GMT hand)

propervinyl and chows99 like this.
  3. omitohud Sep 20, 2017

Wow. Polished sample without b & p for almost 11k? Talk about bubble. Sure it's a nice watch and less common, but it looks like any other 167xx. Crazy.

It's the earliest batch when rolex transition from 4 to 5 serial gmt. The printer forgot to include the word "date" on the dial. It's not common but u can find it on last 16750, and earliest 16700 n 16760. Is it worth $4k more? I guess someone think so.

Dial & Bezel and chows99 like this.
  4. sensui Sep 20, 2017

It's hodinkee so it's not a surprise the price is higher. Key to pricing on fat ladies is really the dial....this reference during this period had notorious corrosion issues with the dials so finding a nice one is already a feat in itself.

chows99 likes this.
  5. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Sep 20, 2017

The dial spotting is common... But finding one like the one below... Yuuummm
    Fat.jpg

WatchVaultNYC and sensui like this.
  6. WatchVaultNYC Sep 20, 2017

Dont you think though that bevel was re-applied? The bezel seems to have undergone polishing (I don't really know for sure, as I've only had 4 GMT Masters)

7. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Sep 20, 2017

That's ok. Appears you are still learning..

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  8. gminnj Sep 20, 2017

Thanks for comments. No doubt Hodinkee gets top dollar these days, so the price didn't shock me.

More interested in condition/originality, and I don't hear anyone disputing those characteristics.

Appreciated...

9. gminnj Sep 23, 2017

I'm really digging these. An independent GMT hand is an attractive feature for me.

10. sjg22 Sep 23, 2017

As a Fat Lady owner, have to say I’m happy with the pricing (albeit fully understanding that a Hodinkee price likely isn’t replicable in the “real world”).

I’ve been of the opinion that these have been undervalued for awhile given: a) limited production window; b) coke bezel; and, c) at least some distinguishing characteristics as compared to other similar models.

Regardless, having bought mine for $4k five years ago, glad values are starting to move.

sdre and gminnj like this.
  11. afnios1 Sep 24, 2017

11k range is a bubble and we all know what's next,6.5-7 is the upper value for an example like this.

12. sjg22 Sep 24, 2017

I’m not sure “we all know” what you’re suggesting to be true.

Given the significant price growth for the 1675, and more recently 5-digit GMT ‘pepsi’ references, it’s not unreasonable that the first ‘coke’ reference could gain some steam for the reasons I outlined in my post above.

And prices on these for decent examples have been in your “$6.5-7K” range for awhile.

gminnj likes this.
  13. Kali77 Sep 24, 2017

citizenrich likes this.
  14. afnios1 Sep 24, 2017

All i mean is that an 16760 with papers is in the 11k price range,so,the one sold without papers in the same price is ''off'',my2 cents

15. sjg22 Sep 24, 2017

Box and papers aren’t adding $4k to that watch.

Not sure they’re adding $1,000. A middling condition watch with box and papers won’t sell for what a good condition watch will sell for.

I think box and papers are awesome but slightly overrated in terms of their impact on price.

Dial & Bezel likes this.
  16. sky21 Sep 24, 2017

Both of these sellers are very well known with respect to vintage Rolex and GMT in particular. Both priced very much the same so I suspect they are in line with the high end of the current market price. Both look very nice so it really comes down to which dial and hands combination looks better to you and which bracelet, the USA jubilee or the oyster, you prefer. Can’t really go wrong with either one for your first Rolex.

Kali77 likes this.
  17. sensui Sep 24, 2017

Yeah I know both sellers well and have bought many watches from both...rock solid. Both pride themselves in moving quality not quantity so you'll find usually very correct/original pieces from them...and of course pay for it. They both know the market well do the pricing is always in the ballpark. Different sales approach though...Michael is a bit more elusive communicating via email only and John/springer is old school/great guy to talk to on the phone. If you're looking for a nice GMT specifically though...I'd talk to John first...guy knows so much about GMTs it amazes me anytime we talk about different period correctness.

onthedial and Kali77 like this.
  18. Kali77 Sep 24, 2017

Thank you both very much. I don't mind paying a little premium to know that I am dealing with knowledgeable, respected sellers.

19. afnios1 Sep 25, 2017

there are not many examples where a mint condition watch without papers could sell higher than the one with papers in the vintage area.And 4k premium is not much when it comes with papers,we have a different view on this.So,if you have a Sophia Loren one for sale with papers you know my price.Cheers

20. yikkie2377 Sep 27, 2017

Vintage Rolex is really a minefield.