Forums Latest Members

FAO of ppl first getting interested in this weird hobby of ours

1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 13, 2018

Don't let crusty old curmudgeons scare you away with tall tales of misery and woe.

Yes, there are an insane amount of scammers and hustlers in any collecting hobby. This would include watch collecting. Take your time to learn as much as you can about particular watches you like and then go to work.

Don't get caught up in panic buying. That's the numero uno mistake noobs make, IMHO.

Here are (4) watches I purchased in the last (2) years.

Two chronometers and two very interesting chronographs. The Croton clamshell case is 100% original including the glass and screws. The tobacco colored dial is crazy beautiful in person.

Anyway, total purchase price for all (4) watches = less than 500 bucks.

Stay away from hodinkee and go to pawnshops instead.

IMG_4617.JPG
    Edited Sep 13, 2018
    shishy, Wryfox, Peter Marsh and 9 others like this.
  2. ClarendonVintage Sep 13, 2018

You are chuckling to yourself aren't you? ;)

Do you feel like you (or rather, we, as vintage collectors) live in our own worlds sometimes?

For example, I have seen your vintage Bucherer thread. I think they are absolutely fascinating, and I dare say most people out there will not share that view.

Wryfox and citizenrich like this.
  3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 13, 2018

Oh, you're right on point about most not sharing that point of view...lol

My dad told me the reason the army (or any military) works and operates so efficiently is because most people don't like to think for themselves. Much easier to be told what to do, say and think.
    Apropos of watch collecting, it's much easier to be told what to like and wear by folks like hodinkee and fictional ppl like James Bond.

And, yes, I definitely live in my own little world. so much easier just to admit it lol

Nathan1967 and ClarendonVintage like this.
  4. speedbird Sep 13, 2018

I completely agree. There is more to the world than stainless Rolex sport models, and that’s coming from the owner of a stainless sport model.

I’m very interested in Nivada/Croton, especially their Antarctic series. Folks are already waking up to the fact that Nivada is just as storied as UG and sadly prices are going north fast.

5. time flies Sep 13, 2018

And by extension...the watch maker or anyone wearing a loupe looking into a whole other world of how many pallets, plates or millimetres? Attempting to make sense of it all. And having done so now has to take off that loupe and deal with...well, us. And even more disconcerting...dealing with others who are not us. On a whole other tangent. Again I ask. Which is worse? Not being able to remember, or not being able to forget?

have fun...no where to run
    kfw

citizenrich likes this.
  6. ClarendonVintage Sep 14, 2018

Splendid way to put it. Agreed very much.

citizenrich likes this.
  7. Peter Marsh Dec 14, 2018

Buy and wear what is pleasing to YOUR eye. You’ll enjoy it more.