Forums Latest Members
  1. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 20, 2018

how do you know when your Longines is a re-dial?

This manufacturer seemed to have inconsistent branding and fonts over the years.

IMG_4675.JPG IMG_4697.JPG IMG_4698.JPG
    Edited Sep 20, 2018
    Spruce likes this.
  2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Sep 20, 2018

No idea, but they all look great :)

citizenrich likes this.
  3. hotsauz Sep 20, 2018

I am still learning but I think all three of them are re-dials. The first one is a good re-dial.

Edited Sep 20, 2018
  4. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 20, 2018

The third one is hideously bad. You're right, number one is a really good re-dial.
    Surprisingly, number two (which looks the worst of the three) is in fact legit.

I buy these from time to time from exasperated sellers for their gold weight and also for cheap parts.

murph and hotsauz like this.
  5. hotsauz Sep 21, 2018

Wow the 2nd is original? I am still not convinced especially on the "N"s, lol.

citizenrich likes this.
  6. MauiSurfBrah Sep 21, 2018

Really? I would hardly call any of them "hideous" myself. I am earnestly curious what in your opinion makes them so? The only thing about the photos that I'm seeing is that the second two photos are focused on the holders' hand, rather than the dial.

7. Dan S Sep 21, 2018

I would have pegged all three as re-dials, so I'm surprised to hear that the second one is original, given the apparent issues with the font and the poor alignment of writing and applied logo. No SWISS, no minute markers; just looks strange to me.

8. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 21, 2018

"..are focused on the holders' hand, rather than the dial."

That's a curious comment. i even cropped the photos to remove as much of my hand as possible lol

i also had a difficult lighting situation and find when I hold the watches as I do, I've more control of the lighting. I'm not an especially good photographer to begin with. Do you have a better way?

I got a little nervous reading through a recent thread which dealt with how we've planned for the possibility of our sudden demise in terms of spouses and heirs, etc., etc. Apparently I'm not alone in the category of not really having a plan.

Sooooo, I went to bank and and began sorting through bags of watches (bags of 100 or 200 watches) is my current system which is to say I have no system and zero organization.

These longines came from a bag with random SG watches. As mentioned, I buy these for their intrinsic metal value as well as parts value.

So, you asked me a question about my choice of the word "hideous". I'm not a big fan of re-finished watch dials. That's all. I'm also not a big fan of people who proclaim that they're being earnest when asking me a question. It implies that you're not always an earnest person.

9. ClarendonVintage Sep 21, 2018

I thought only the last 2 are redials. The first one is really good.

10. MauiSurfBrah Sep 21, 2018

Hi, I meant that the focus of the camera element is crisp on the hand, more than the dial of the watch. There are various ways to "lock" the focus, it just depends on what type of camera you are using. On most smart phones, if you press and hold the point on the screen where you want it to lock, it will do so. It's also possible that the dial might have just been slightly too close for the camera to properly lock its' focus on.

Now that I look back, I see that I missed it was you as the OP who called the dial hideous. When I made my previous comment, I thought the hideous comment was from another forum member, who was just saying so due to the blurry photo, not necessarily because the dial is actually "hideous" in person. Again, I still don't see it but I'm no expert; so I'll just earnestly take your word for it. ;)

11. MauiSurfBrah Sep 21, 2018

One more post and you'll be able to buy and sell! :thumbsup:

hotsauz likes this.
  12. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Sep 21, 2018

Touché
    And, thank you for the cameraphone advice. I frankly don't know this stuff and appreciate the help.

13. gostang9 Sep 21, 2018

I hear the OP of that downer thread had no intention of causing any negative anxiety... honest. ;)

You are at least the second person who was apparently promoted to begin assessing and documenting the collection, hopefully the end result is at least a positive..?

:)

citizenrich likes this.
  14. hotsauz Sep 22, 2018

Haha made it!!

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 22, 2018

I think No 2 is a redial.

Look at the way the wings are tilted in a 5º starboard bank. Unless it's Rich's photography skills causing the skewed appearance?

16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Sep 25, 2018

Sorry to break the news, but No 2 is a horrid redial -and not legit at all.

hotsauz likes this.