Fall 2022 RR Space Auction includes Wally Shirra's Gold Speedy

Posts
6,457
Likes
21,963
New auction catalog shows Gold Speedy on the cover. Bidding starts Sept 23 so we'll see what they are offering.

Maybe other astronaut families are deciding to auction their gold speedys after seeing Michael Collins watch?

All this plus the September 27 reveal of a new Speedy. What a month.

 
Posts
2,123
Likes
11,385
Interesting to see Schirra's watch up for sale. I know the last known owner of this watch and he was an on and off poster here a year or so ago in the space watch topics. I guess the market is hot and the sale would be a nice little retirement boost.

Interesting to see Cernan's watch as well. Lots of pictures of him wearing this one out there.

 
Posts
7,057
Likes
13,016
Well-timed for the 60th anniversary of the " Sigma 7 " mission !

(Artwork: EH Space Art for MoonwatchUniverse)
...
Glad I could find some interesting NASA photos of Walter Schirra wearing his Gold "Apollo 11 tribute" Speedmaster 😉
GLWS during this auction !
 
Posts
2,123
Likes
11,385
Schirra's Gold Speedmaster currently at $154,880 with 3 days left. It will be interesting to see how fast the bidding heats up at the end and where it ends up.
 
Posts
6,457
Likes
21,963
Currently at $170,368 with 1 day left.

That last day's a bitch. Lot of broken hearts.
 
Posts
2,123
Likes
11,385
$226,761 with 33 minutes to go.

Does it beat Collins'? I don't know. My gut says no, but who knows what the last few minutes will bring.
 
Posts
6,457
Likes
21,963
Me too, thinking no. Guessing maybe two more bids left.

EDIT: Cernan's watch did well. That would be a fun watch to own. Looks like it comes with a healthy amount of DNA too.

Edit: Glad to see I was wrong. Doing well

EDIT: We've got us a race!

EDIT: OH DAMN! Someone just threw down. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

EDIT: 😲 ::psy::::psy::

Edit: Respect to Gene Cernan with a 55k (before 25% commission) close
Edited:
 
Posts
2,123
Likes
11,385
Me too, thinking no. Guessing maybe two more bids left.

EDIT: Cernan's watch did well. That would be a fun watch to own. Looks like it comes with a healthy amount of DNA too.

Edit: Glad to see I was wrong. Doing well

EDIT: We've got us a race!

EDIT: OH DAMN! Someone just threw down. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Gut way wrong, wow!
 
Posts
6,457
Likes
21,963
Where's the heart attack emoji?!
 
Posts
6,457
Likes
21,963
While we're waiting and watching, I'll share this new acquisition.

Fliteline medallion from Gemini IV, which flew with McDivitt and White on their historic space walk mission.





Watches are cool, but space artifacts are hard to beat.

Meanwhile, another bid! 25 more mins to go. This is crazy fun!

EDIT:

Good thing they told me I'm no longer eligible to bid...😁
Edited:
 
Posts
3,259
Likes
23,343
Just read the Hodinkee piece. Now you guys have me sitting here staring at this webpage for the next 20 minutes... almost 1.5 million.
 
Posts
6,457
Likes
21,963
"Look honey! I'm winning! Only 15 minutes to go..."