Forums Latest Members
  1. LennyL Oct 13, 2016

Hello,

I'd really like to buy my husband a vintage omega watch but I'm really worried that I'm going to end up buying something fake. I'm really not that savvy when it comes to watches & of course I don't want to waste money.

This is the watch I like, can anyone offer any advice in regards to the watch / website & whether it seems guenuin.

http://www.thevintageswisswatchshop.com/store/product/omega-seamaster-de-ville-1964

Thank you so much in advanced, any advice is very much appreciated!!

Edited Oct 13, 2016
  2. LennyL Oct 13, 2016

3. imagwai Oct 13, 2016

It's not a fake, but I think the dial may have been refinished.

4. LennyL Oct 13, 2016

Great thank you for your thoughts! Considering it may have been refinished do you think that it is over priced at £575?
    Thank you

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 13, 2016

If you google the reference number 166.020 you will see matching examples.

It's real but I agree the dial has been refinished.

It's a good looking watch but the refinished dial hurts collector value.

The automatic writing is to small and the outer track markings are misaligned to the 3&9 markers.

As for price... can't help you.

6. LennyL Oct 13, 2016

Oh fab, thank you so much!!

7. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 13, 2016

the watch is a real Omega. The dial appears to have been redone and it appears the case may have been over polished. This affects the value for a collector. As for a gift, that is up to the giver to decide what is appropriate. The price is a little high in my opinion.

8. LennyL Oct 13, 2016

Thank you very much, your opinions are all greatly appreciated! Im out of my depth on this subject and obviously can not ask my husband as I would like for it to be a surprise.... He knows about this kind of thing.

Edantony likes this.
  9. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 13, 2016

Good luck and keep trying!

Edantony and LennyL like this.
  10. ChrisN Oct 13, 2016

This is a nice model but unfortunately, as the guys say, this is not a good example at this price.

It's worth noting that apart from what's been pointed out above, I would not consider this a good example of a service. In the picture below, you can see that the condition of the tension ring (a steel coloured ring that goes around the inside of the crystal) is bad. It also looks like the movement and dial is not seated correctly as you can see in the 12 O'clock area. These little details are easy to miss.
    tension ring.jpg

How much of a hurry are you in? I'm sure we could come up with something better on the private sales forum here. You can ask questions about any watches there as well.

Cheers, Chris

LennyL likes this.
  11. LennyL Oct 13, 2016

Hi Chris,
    I can see what you mean from the photo and there is absolutely no way i'd have noticed that so thank you very much!
    I have a week window before I need it so I'm not in a massive hurry, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 13, 2016

Have you checked the for sale forums on this site?

LennyL likes this.
  13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 13, 2016

LennyL likes this.
  14. ChrisN Oct 13, 2016

A week! Heck, you leave it even later than I do to sort out presents:D

To be honest, a week is no time at all when you're spending that amount of money. I'd seriously consider giving yourself more time and telling some white lies to cover it.

Keep looking and let us know what else you find. You usually get quick feedback here. Now, I don't know if this is still available or if the design, condition and price are good for you but, this seller is in UK. Here's the link. He is well known here.

Cheers, Chris

LennyL likes this.
  15. LennyL Oct 13, 2016

Sorry Chris, I was supposed to write a '3 week window' but the number didn't type... Still Ive left it pretty late I know.
    Ive had a look on the private selling board but they seem to sell really quickly so I will keep my eyes peeled.

Kingsrider: Thank you so much for looking for me - I'm sure you're right but I think its too much for me to take on, id rather buy a watch ready to wear, as you can probably tell i have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to watches!

16. ChrisN Oct 14, 2016

Aha, three weeks;). You'll see a few watches on the forum in that time so, don't rush. I don't think it's watch season at the moment - genuinely, there is a season for buying and selling!

I know you started another thread but, I'll just reply here. I don't like that other watch either.

Do you have any specific requirements? For example, original black dialed (difficult to find good 60s Omegas with black dials) or must be stainless steel or an approximate year?

Many people like the 1960s automatic 550 series calibres - for example 561 to 565. They are with date and come in many styles. There are equivalents without date such as 552. These are well known and generally well regarded as robust if well serviced. There are a lot of these about and certainly some in the Private sales.

That Globemaster I linked to is a 501, also a very nice in house Omega movement (sort of the forerunner to the 550s). The fifties watches are a bit more exclusive if you find a nice one. I'm leaning more this way than the 60s now....

If you're nervous about sending someone money and if they are good guys there is a forum giving feedback on previous sales.

Good luck.

Cheers, Chris

LennyL likes this.
  17. j.allen Oct 14, 2016

Good eyes on this fuzzy picture. The crystal can be replaced and the movement seated properly. It's a good looking watch. If your husband is a true collector he will notice the dial. If he just like a classic watch this is okay. If you are looking for a new purchase you should check out the seamaster 600 series. I will show you a photo of my watch, all original.

IMG_0384b.jpg s.JPG
    LennyL likes this.
  18. ulackfocus Oct 14, 2016

This 166.020 would be worth that money (and more) only if it were an original dial and it had a caliber 560 inside instead of the infinitely more common 562. It's certainly a refinished dial.

LennyL likes this.
  19. LennyL Oct 14, 2016

I love that there is a watch season! Just typical that I've missed it ::facepalm2::
    I have no specific requirements other than I have to like the look of it...Im quite taken with the Seamster De Ville & the few that I like but have been no good have been around 1966 ish in year however I don't have a particular desire to get a watch from a particular year.

I started out wanting to buy one as a gift for my husband for our third year wedding anniversary, its traditional to buy a leather gift so I was drawn to them initially due to the leather strap (I realised you can change a strap). I also do not want to spend a lot of money because I wouldn't buy an expensive watch without his input. He is much more knowledgeable about watches than I am & it seems to be a very personal thing, choosing a watch so he will know exactly what he wants if we were planning on spending a lot. Hope this makes sense, I know I'm rambling now!!

Thanks for all your help & tips, it is very much appreciated!!

I didn't realise there was an etiquette to posting & I should have just posted the other watch on here... whoopsies!

20. LennyL Oct 14, 2016

Absolutely lovely watch! I will have a look, thank you!!