Forums Latest Members
  1. maddesa Jul 29, 2015

Was skimming through the local Craigslist and came upon this listing. May I get some input, please? Thanks. I'm a newb and wouldn't want to make a costly mistake. To my novice eyes the writing under the Omega symbol on the dial looks to be crowding too close to the symbol. Here's the link.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/jwl/5094993206.html

2. mac_omega Jul 29, 2015

IMO it has a badly redone dial - it is a pity as it has the desirable bold white arrow head markers

3. chickenman26 Jul 29, 2015

Yeah, that dial is a mess. Text has leaning letters and mixed fonts. Several applied hour markers don't line up with the minute marks. No movement pics, and plenty of get-out-of-jail-free speak in the description. Typical father (uncle, grandmother, etc.) watch story.

blubarb likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 29, 2015

Its real, a real mess...:eek:

5. blubarb Jul 29, 2015

Hate to see what's under the hood. I've seen these poor fashioned dials with cheap movements before. Lots floating around in Australia just like this. They are big sellers to gullible tourists in Vietnam. They are sold as "left behind war watches" given in payment or as a gift for this or that by grateful U.S. or Aussie Servicemen during or after the war. No-one ever matches style and dates, but the story is a good one. These fine pieces of war history are usually "discovered" by the tourist while rummaging through junk filled shops. The trick is the authentic mix of real with fake, same as the watches you find. Don't know if that's the case here, of course, but I have three very similar looking pie-pan "Omegas" in my watch junk box and another my 8 year old grandson proudly wears on a NATO strap worth more than the watch. And before you ask, yes, definitely fake.

Edited Jul 29, 2015