Forums Latest Members
  1. sylvester Feb 18, 2017

Hello everyone.

I have no experience at all with buying used watched. Thats why i'ved turned to this forum for some help. I really want to buy an oldschool mega watch, and i've fallen in love with Omega Seamaster De Ville from 1963.

So i got a few questions before i contact the seller for a purchase.
    The first question is about the price, is it too high or just fine?
    * The price is 745$

The information he has given about the watch is;

“Men's watch, Omega

A vintage Omega Seamaster De Ville from 1963, 14 kt. gold in steel. Ref. 136.020, cal. 610 (manual winding, with quickset date). Engraved case back. Ø: 34 mm. excl. Crown.

The clock IS fully functional, and appears in Very good condition. New Black Leather (Opportunity for other belts.)“
    See also my other annonces for several exciting watches.“

I have attached pictures of the watch that he has included.

What do you guys think about it? as i said in the top, i've had no experience at all in buy vintage watches.

The best regards
    Sylvester

2240-b4d0-4457-9d48-041e788566d3.jpg 3816-c114-4fa2-9b78-a9fbd6c20403.jpg 7998-0444-4ef2-bd54-6b89ed2d3665.jpg ab51-7802-48a7-988e-43b95a8c7631.jpg d384-0b67-41f6-ad1d-914d27a7a90f.jpg
  2. Vicke Feb 18, 2017

Way to expensive imo!
    Crown is a incorrect replacement (color don't match). Don't think the hands are the correct once either..
    Movement shot missing, would be good to confirm age through serial number and condition of the most important piece of a watch.

3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 18, 2017

I think the hands are right but I agree that it's a little overpriced.

Tom

Syrte likes this.
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 19, 2017

Hello Sylvester, welcome to the forum. It is wise of you to seek opinions before you buy. in order to make a fully informed choice you need pictures of the inside of the watch, of the movement and the inside of the caseback.
    I don't know much about Omega and there are very seasoned collectors here who will probably chime in if you're a bit patient.
    IMHO it's a nice looking watch and it looks good to me but again you should not rely just on me. It may be the crown is an incorrect replacement, I can't tell. The hands look like the proper design though.

It is a gold "capped" watch-- with thick plates of gold laid on top. It's the best quality type of plating due to the thickness of the gold layer, the underside of the lugs is where you can see the thickness of the gold.
    Collectors often avoid gold plated and gold filled watches because they are liable to damage, gold capped watches don't have the same problem.
    That, and the pristine condition of the dial, help explain the price -- I agree it's a little too high but it doesn't feel outrageous.
    It may be that it's offered by a dealer?
    Perhaps you could try to negotiate?
    If this is going to be your one special watch and you fell in love with it I don't think it matters to pay slightly more than it would cost among more seasoned buyers. If you intend to buy other watches, then you should strive to not overpay.
    However, again Please don't rely just on what I'm saying and wait for other people's opinion.
    Best regards,
    S

Edited Feb 19, 2017
    GregH and shaun hk like this.
  5. WatchmakerTheory Feb 19, 2017

Watch looks good but you'd be overpaying at that price. See if you can negotiate or look for one at a more reasonable price.

6. StrutlessWonder Feb 19, 2017

Hi Sylvester,

You might wish to gather a few more price data points for comparison.

This site was recently mentioned here on OF, and the original poster mentioned the listed prices are negotiable (i.e. you might pay less):
    http://www.timelyclassics.com/porta...cturer_id=19&sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100

There are no movement pictures, so read descriptions carefully and ask for more pictures. I have no connection with this business, and have not purchased from them, but thought you might benefit from seeing many watches at various prices in one place.

The OF private sales forum may be your best bet. With some patience you may find what you were looking for, or even what you didn't know you were looking for. ;)

7. cristos71 Feb 19, 2017

Looks like it could be a 14910 or 166.020 with front loading cal 562 and the crown a service replacement with the gold having a different hue, which is normal ( but not ideal )

The case condition is good, the bezel and lugs are sharp which is a positive but it misses the seamonster back having an engraved presentation case instead which is a negative.

If I was born 05/03/73 then maybe I wouldn't find $750 too much, otherwise try to hammer the price down to a more realistic $500-550. If I were just looking for a nice Seamaster I'd want one with the seamonster on the back so I'd keep looking as there are loads of them out there and with a little patience a very nice specimen can be found for the $750 budget.

8. Davidt Feb 19, 2017

Also if the seller describes it as " fully functional and in good condition", that suggests they haven't serviced it. It will likely need one in the very near/immediate future.