Forums Latest Members
  1. Moron Jun 9, 2017

Hi I'm new to this forum, well finally signed up today but was reading already since a while longer, and really enjoy reading it. Thanks to everyone ! I would really like to learn in order to be able to judge eventually myself why something is fake and what I could actually buy on ebay. (I'm afraid more renown/propper watch collectors' sites seem to be out of my price range). Well, I tried to 'practice' by if I would be able find anything suspicious about the watches listed here in the "Don't fall for a fake..." thread and while for many I can see why they might be fakes, this one here for example would have left me completely clueless:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/don...re-not-for-questions.6235/page-43#post-732062

So I also tried to follow UncleBuck's advice in the " For The New Members: Read" thread: "Add research:. Well, easier said than done I guess. I looked up the omega vintage database for that watch and found still nothing that would have identified this as a fake seamaster 300. The reference number seems correct, the movement number is fine, so what do I miss? What else do I need to look out for in order to see why that for example is such bad listing.

Well and if I'm already on it... while the watch mentioned above would be anyway not in my price range, I found for example this one on ebay[​IMG] which I really like. Again, looking at the database I couldn't find anything wrong with it, but typically watches with non-standard dials like this green one (I'd prefer black or dark blue, but still, I find it more interesting than the usual silver-ish ones) seem to be much more expensive.. Sure the guy didn't show the movement which is a bit odd.. but I was thinking, maybe just an unexperienced 'seller' and hence perhaps a 'bargain' ? What do you think? Any advice ?

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  2. Edward53 Jun 9, 2017

I think that green dial is original. If it is a redial it is an amazingly good one, and the overall excellent condition fits with an unrefinished dial. Looking at his feedback page he has sold other watches and not shown a movement pic. One of those is a 90s Navitimer with blue dial which looks incredibly clean but again, I can't fault it (though others might).

As for How Can You Tell in general, there is just no easy answer. When you have looked at case number matching movement and dial, hand length/style, anachronisms like Ts on non-lumed dials, and obvious redials, it comes down to experience gained from looking at lots, lots and lots more watches and photos, and reading the posts on here. After a while you can usually tell if something looks "right", but even the experts don't always agree.

BTW you might want to rethink that username as it's all very well for a newbie as a joke at your own lack of experience, but the joke will wear a bit thin if you decide to stick around.

Edited Jun 9, 2017
    JimInOz and Jkuback like this.