Forums Latest Members
  1. Davidt Nov 11, 2016

It's definitely not vintage, but I bought this hoping it was a modern service item. However, now it's arrived I'm wondering if it's just fake.

The stamp doesn't seem the best quality, there are no numbers in the end-links and the links seem to be drilled (see pic).
    The chap is selling these as new on eBay and has a couple more listed at the minute.

Any ideas?

IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0014.JPG

2. Edward53 Nov 11, 2016

I can only go by what I've seen but to me it looks like a fake BOR with a real clasp. The clasp has the right stampings neatly done and an apparently well-defined top logo. The fake clasps lack the No 12 stamping and have a shallow, poorly-defined top logo. Unnumbered end links is not a good sign and I certainly don't like those drilled ends. They are not on the fake BOR I have so perhaps this is a different batch. Most annoyingly, the fake BORs I've seen do not hang loosely like a chain but stick in position and need to be pressed flat, so are basically useless. I've only seen 9-row fakes and am not aware of any 7-rows.

One seller with three BORs does not necessarily make them wrong but certainly calls for caution.

Remik likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 11, 2016

Yes the bracelet part is fake, and poorly done. The beads are not correct shape and design.
    That said Omega BORs were made by a few different manufacturers
    bc.jpg

4. Davidt Nov 11, 2016

I was under the impression that it was meant to be a modern, service version of this this (borrowed pic), which I think is one of the later BoR variants. It has a similar design, but the shape of the individual links is clearly different. They appear almost solid, with drilled holes, rather than the hoops which make up the genuine BoR that I've seen.

image.jpg

5. waterproofpt Nov 11, 2016

I have a 1037 9-row beads of rice bracelet. I've been looking for extra links for it for some time and trying to sift through the fake versus the real. The 1068 No 12 seems to be the other 'model' ....... that I've seen at least. Inquiries I've made also confirm there were different makers of these for Omega. Something I've noticed is the fakes have no bevel on the underside along the outer edge of the links. Whereas the genuine ones definitely do. I don't know if this is a definitive tell but it seems to be the case from what I've seen. So my guess would also be a fake bracelet possibly on a real clasp like others have suggested. Here is a photo of mine and you can clearly see the bevels.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 11, 2016

7. Davidt Nov 11, 2016

Yeah the one I have is different to the ones described in those threads. It's either a new type of fake, or a relatively modern service one.

Here's the link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222302046273Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Interesting that most are saying the bracelet is fake but the clasp may be correct. They have several for sale, along with a range of other related pieces.

8. Edward53 Nov 11, 2016

I have one of the fakes here and it has the bevelled underside, as do all my real ones. But - and I hadn't noticed this - the bevels on the fake are smaller and in a shallow arc like an orange segment, whereas the real ones are more the shape of a truncated cone, ie a long rectangle with inward sloping sides.

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 11, 2016

The entire bracelet is counterfeit, as are most of the items they have for sale, particularly the Omega items.

The later Omega bracelets did not have solid links, nor were the removable links screwed. The later Omega ones did differ from earlier ones by having press through pins as opposed to the spring bar arraignment for the removable links of the early ones.

I personally would look at any BOR offered on eBay these days as suspect.

Here is a good representation of a genuine 1068 bracelet. https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-1068-no-29-stainless-steel-beads-of-rice-bracelet.17838/

Davidt and wsfarrell like this.
  10. Davidt Nov 11, 2016

Thanks guys.

It just doesn't feel right. Compared to a modern 1171 bracelet it's feels too heavy and the stamps don't look right up close.

Back it goes.