Forums Latest Members

Fake Military Tri-Compax Is Back

1. georgetownhoya Jan 13, 2015

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 14, 2015

Had a mate mention he knows of another bloke in Australia that's been making some rare Submariner references and getting them past major auction houses recently, I was instantly wondering if it could be the same guy behind those Polerouter subs.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 14, 2015

Dammit! I've been made! (that's an english translation - I don't know the proper expression in Australian)
    madmax2a.jpg

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 14, 2015

Probably this

5. woodwkr2 Jan 15, 2015

That's not too hard.... now, if he was getting them past the relevant forum experts, well then.

6. woodwkr2 Jan 15, 2015

BTW Eric, based on the quantity of fake polerouter subs coming up lately, I'm completely convinced of your argument. You raised a 'reasonable doubt' around this corner of the internet previously and I played Devil's advocate in their (partial) defense. I hereby cede to your judgment on the "Aussie" polerouter sub edition.

I'll just point out for the benefit of any potential bidders that there was never any question that the black dial Tri-Compax in the original post was a complete and total fake, excluding the movement.

7. CarSnob Beware of Swedish Terminators named Jurgentron! Feb 17, 2015

Hiya everyone. I'm new here, and new to UG's as well. Just let me know if I'm on the right track with spotting the flaws with this one.

1) The case is from a later reference based on the universal crest and not the gear-wheel emblem.

2) The dial has been refinished (rounded tops on the 3's in the 6 and 9 subdials)

3) I might be wrong, but I've never seen those hour and minute hands on a Tri-Compax, they look like the ones from the more military-style time only reference, and they don't even fit the dial that well.

Again, I'm new here and just looking to learn. Let me know if I'm on the right track.

8. woodwkr2 Feb 18, 2015

Welcome!
    You're one the right track. Only correction I'll make is that the case is likely fake as well. The only legit UG component: the movement.