Forums Latest Members
  1. christhomas Aug 10, 2015

Hi

Like many others I have come across this forum while researching vintage Omegas prior to buying one. I was watching the watch below on Ebay (151766021463) last week with a view to buying it but the final price seemed very high to me and I did not buy in the end. Obviously my experience is limited so I am looking for opinions on whether the price of £1320/$2050 was reasonable for this watch in this condition. Is there something special about this watch which would warrant such a comparatively high price ?

I would be grateful for any comments.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151766021463?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Willem023 Aug 10, 2015

I am by no means a 'connaisseur' on prices, but if you compare this price with what members ask for more or less comparable pieces in the 'Watches for Sale' or 'Private watches for Sale' in this Forum, I tend to think that this particular piece is worth about 1/4 of the 2K USD it fetched on eB.
    But perhaps I am missing some very vital point; i.e. the white golden markers.... :cautious:
    And I am not very much convinced on the used font of the lettering either; might be a redial?? ::book::

3. ConElPueblo Aug 10, 2015

Consider the can of worms for opened...

Willem023 likes this.
  4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 10, 2015

I think dial is original. Arrowhead markers are more valuable, but I do think the price was a bit high. Maybe $1.5k?

5. Wongo Aug 10, 2015

Or you will see that watch back in the bay in abouts a month time. :whistling:

cristos71 likes this.
  6. cristos71 Aug 10, 2015

Blatant shill bidding from a number of accounts generally bring this sellers watches to above average/high prices before a "fish" is snagged.

As Wongo says, come back later for a relisting!

Wongo likes this.
  7. Willem023 Aug 10, 2015

When I magnify the pics very much, the font seems to be missing the 'flattened' 'I' and ditto, the C in automatic is straight instead of with the small points at the very end. It was @ChrisN showing a close-up of a pie-pan Constellation yesterday in the ‘14900 62 SC Constellation Pie Pan Advice-thread’ that made me think.
    Other possibility might be that there are more than one fonts being used in those days....::book::::book::

8. Steve1haggart Aug 10, 2015

There’s something about the dial that just doesn’t look rite the star look slightly off-centre to me but may just be the photo ?

9. Difeer Aug 10, 2015

10. christhomas Aug 10, 2015

Thanks for all the responses. I have to conclude that the price was inexplicably high and perhaps you are right that it will appear for sale again. As for the authenticity of the watch I too noticed that the star seemed a little off centre - on the other hand the machining of the lugs looked OK to me - who knows. One thing I have learnt through reading this forum and other sources is that these details are always up for discussion and that there will invariably be differing views on authenticity.
    If anyone knows of a similar watch for sale please let me know. It doesn't have to be identical but I am looking for an older constellation with a pie pan dial and broad arrowhead markers.
    One question about this forum - What is the difference between "Watches for sale" and "Private watches for sale" ?

11. wsfarrell Aug 10, 2015

Not doubting you, but wondering what the evidence is for shill bidding.

12. cristos71 Aug 10, 2015

That's what I call homework ;)

But look the seller is an ex member here and often has attractive watches for sale. Problem is a chequered past and a poor rep, so extreme due diligence required.

Part of that due diligence includes looking at the bidders on his auctions, as sometimes very high prices and relists go hand in hand with the EBay self help method.

If you want evidence I would suggest you watch and follow some of this sellers auctions and then you can make your own mind up.

Edited Aug 10, 2015
  13. Wongo Aug 10, 2015

And time.... they think 2-3 months later people forget about the listing or as said, looking for that fish...

14. ChrisN Aug 10, 2015

It looks original to me. This is a bit earlier than the other thread, probably late fifties and I think you're right, the fonts are different.

Bear in mind that if you are in Europe (including UK, for the moment!) and buy a watch from US, you should pay an additional 20+% in import duties so European prices tend to be higher.

I have never sold on eBay but, I suppose they also want 5-10% so this is also going against you.

This seller is well known here. I never had a problem with him but some others did. His eBay prices are too high for me but bearing in mind the above, it's not as far out as you might think. I don't like the movement colours here and I'm not that keen on the pitted looking dial so, it wouldn't be for me anyway.

In Europe we're crippled by the strong pound vs the dying euro so £1300 is €1850 now and was about €1500 a year or so ago. Best press send before the euro collapses further...

Cheers, Chris

15. Willem023 Aug 10, 2015

Thanks Chris, here to learn (too...) :D

16. ChrisN Aug 10, 2015

To be honest, I'm beginning to think that first T in Constellation might be a better tell. Here's a 1960 14393 dial which I am sure is original. Compare this to the one above (I call genuine) and the one yesterday (fake).
    14393 dial.jpg

I didn't show the Constellation part yesterday but, it looks like this. At this zoom though, you see all the imperfections... The Omega looks a bit wonky but the letters are joined in the same way as my previous one.

Cheers, Chris