Forums Latest Members

Exterior cleaning on watches

1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 15, 2015

I have a practice with my water-resistant stainless Omega Speedmaster and Seamaster 300 that I follow... I thought I would share it and see who else does it.

As you know, Omega is fond of mixing polished and brushed surfaces. As you wear the watch, the brushed surfaces get dull and then the polished surfaces get smeared and icky looking. What to do? Soap and water time!

Squirt some Dawn dish detergent onto watch and bracelet. I use a GI weapons cleaning brush, although a toothbrush would work just as well. Water coming out of the faucet, not hot, not cold. Enough pressure to rinse well, not enough to test the water resistance! Scrub well all over, especially the wrist side of bracelet and case, rinse well (don't panic, a 30m water resistant Speedmaster can take it!) and then dry with a clean towel.

When you're done, the stainless steel gleams. The crystal is bright and shiny. As an aside: you should do this after you polish your plastic crystal to get the residue of your Novis or Polywatch polish off.

I've been doing this for many years, usually once a week, and my various watchmakers have confirmed that nothing bad has gotten into the case.

Note that if you do this, it is your responsibility to ensure that your watch case is properly sealed beforehand.

Tom

alam, _Omega_ and Mad Dog like this.
  2. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? May 15, 2015

I always heard that soap would allow water to bypass seals.
    Is that just a myth?

3. alam May 15, 2015

I do the same with my modern watches, not as often as once a week, but more a monthly drill for me with similar results...

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 15, 2015

No it's not. Soap evens out the flow of water, making it easier to get inside.

And the warmer the water the more risk of intrusion.

Now take the movement out of the case and that sounds like a great way to clean a case.

gatorcpa

KIMBER likes this.
  5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 15, 2015

I understand the concern, but decades of this practice with no issues suggests to me that modern Omega gaskets are up to the challenge.

As always, do your research and make the decision that makes the most sense to you.

Tom

6. Canuck May 15, 2015

I have a theory! Assume that a watch case is not hermetically sealed (air tight). When the watch warms up, the air within expands out of the case to equalize internal/external air pressure. The watch cools off. The air inside the watch contracts, sucking air back into the case! If there is moisture in any form, it also gets sucked into the case. Ergo, a foggy crystal. A watch at body temperature suddenly chills to the melting point of snow causes the snow to melt, the watch to chill, and what happens? Air inside the case contracts and sucks air and water into the case! Rinse a watch that a/ is not hermetically sealed, and b/ is at body temperature, and chill it in cold water? I don't even wash my better stuff in the case! Out comes the movement, off comes the bracelet, a complete cleaning, and back together. Time and again over decades in this business I have had non-waterproof watches sent to me to be checked because they went through a clothes washing machine in an apron pocket (HOT water), and there is no sign of corrosion!

7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 16, 2015

For dive watches I use powdered dish machine detergent and distilled water in a Tupperware. I actually shake the watch after she's soaked a bit. Hair dryer on cool setting and old newspaper to finish her off. Bit like the ghetto version of an ultrasonic cleaner :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm always surprised how much dirt and grime remains at the bottom of the Tupperware when I'm done.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 16, 2015

I just shower daily so my watches don't get filthy :thumbsup:

SC1, woodwkr2, STANDY and 4 others like this.
  9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 16, 2015

Don't start that debate!
    The most discussed issue on WUS, "can I shower with my seamaster on?"

Dsloan likes this.
  10. Mothra May 16, 2015

I think he's implying that most of us wash sparingly, wether with or without watch...

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 16, 2015

I doubt he is showering with his cal320 or vintage connies

Modest_Proposal likes this.
  12. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 16, 2015

I'll have to try this out. /

Brasilians are the most shower crazy people on the planet. The average big city Brazilian takes 30+ showers each week in the summer. Thirty!!!! Some university professor just completed some huge multi-year study as Brazil tries to figure out to deal with their next drought. They came very close to running out of water. Too close for comfort.

The average successful businessman down there probably takes 50 because he's taking 3 or 4 fillies out for a run each day. Sweaty stuff.

I don't think I take 30 showers a year. JUST KIDDING (gotta be careful with you…:thumbsup:)

13. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool May 16, 2015

SHOWER DAILY????? Are you mad writing like that? What if a wife or girlfriend to a member sees this and begin to demand daily showers? This is treason to your fellow men and should be punished :whipped:::rant:

14. WatchVaultNYC May 18, 2015

Toothbrush and water on the watch head, ultrasonic cleaner on the bracelet

15. j.allen May 18, 2015

I use isopropyl alcohol and a Kimwipe on the stainless steel of the case. I don't wear metal bracelets so all those nooks and crannies are not an issue. For that you need to submerse it. Better yet an ultrasonic. I can't verify that the alcohol is 100% safe on all crystals, but it evaporates in about 2 seconds so there is almost no contact time.

16. micampe May 18, 2015

We are about to have that conversation in California too.

17. z1109r May 19, 2015

::facepalm1:: 300m/1000ft and you are afraid to wash your SMP, c´mon guys:whipped:! Have you got any idea what 30 ATM means? I used to dive, max like 40meters and the pressure is pretty darn impressive. And that´s like 4 ATM... It´s called Seamaster Professional for gdangs sake:D

I wash it daily in the shower...or sauna...or swimming...

18. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 19, 2015

I hesitate to mention this, because 1) I expected to see it already mentioned, and 2) I don't want to come off sounding like a commercial...
    WristClean by Veraet works extremely well for me. Well worth the cost in my opinion.
    I'm almost afraid to know what's in this stuff, but they swear it's completely safe (why wouldn't they? :)). The stainless steel cases come out brilliantly. I use it every week or so, and it doesn't take much product to be effective.
    If there is any criticism about it (beside cost, which I am okay with especially after a 40%-off sale last year), I'd love to hear it. Facts appreciated but opinions welcomed too.

19. Duquephart Feb 19, 2023

I'm not a salesman either but highly recommend the Veraet products. I use one of their excellent soft brushes to clean with mild dish soap/warm water then go over again with their cleaning solution (Wrist Clean). Then dry with one cloth and polish with the other. Wait for a sale and put together a little cleaning kit.

20. SC1 Feb 19, 2023

I dry all my watches with the pubic hair of a 15 month old alpaca.
    Still on the alpaca.
    14 months - not robust enough to absorb moisture/16 months - too wirey and can scratch the case.

I clean my watches with my spit -- after I drink a large glass of whole milk.

Perfection.