Forums Latest Members
  1. Toad Cottonheadedninnymuggins Mar 21, 2021

If I have no relationship with an AD how long would I expect to wait for a new explorer?
    Assuming I have no interest in buying jewelry or other less desirable watches...
    Not meaning to stir things up but graduation is coming up in may.
    Thx

2. Dan S Mar 21, 2021

Did you ask the AD? It seems like it will depend on things that are specific to your dealer and location.

By asking this question on an international Internet forum, all you will get is a bunch of unverifiable anecdotal information and guesswork from around the world.

watch3s and marcn like this.
  3. Toad Cottonheadedninnymuggins Mar 21, 2021

Good point. Haven’t yet. Wanted to know ball park to see how believable they might be. Trying to decide wait it out or just pay more now secondhand....

4. cvalue13 Mar 21, 2021

Within the month there is very likely to be an update to the Explorer line - possibly a “significant”** update as this is the 50th anniversary year

So, the answer to your question will also depend in part on whether you’re into what will be the prior model (easier) or the soon to be released model (harder)

**significant in Rolex terms :cool:

5. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 21, 2021

Much as I wish it weren’t so, for near-term purchases, think of the pricing on the grey market as the real retail price, and AD MSRP as wholesale. You can have the watch by graduation, but it’s quite unlikely to be at AD MSRP.

Having said that, you really do have to go in-store, face to face, these days to speak with an AD and impress upon them what your purchase is about. Showing them you’re a local, passing their “flipper sniff test” is, unfortunately, now how this all works. Not saying anything about this isn’t bonkers, but it’s how it goes.

Knowing now just how good my Explorer 1 is, how much I’ve loved it over these four years of daily wear, I would re-buy one at grey market values in a heartbeat if I had to. It’s been that awesome.

6. gnuyork Mar 23, 2021

I've been waiting from two ADs for over 7 months now. I hope to get a call before the Explorer gets discontinued (if that's even the case). Just last week a friend of mine offered to sell me his (worn 3 times indoors) for MSRP but I politely declined for various reasons, one of them being I just purchased the new Speedmaster among other things - let's see, home renovation, new born, and now need a new baby hauler vehicle. The timing just isn't right, unfortunately.

I've never tried the Explorer on, so I was hoping for an AD purchase, that way if it didn't sing to me, I could decline on the spot. I seriously doubt that will be the case...

My friend did say he would hold on until April announcements and if nothing happens, he will offer it to me again if I'm interested, but if the Explorer gets discontinued, all bets are off and he would like to sell it at market price, which is fair. More than fair.

Either way, I've been wanting that Explorer, but now waiting for the AD is a positive... I just don't want to wait so long that it gets discontinued.

Another small part of me thinks the new Speedmaster is so good, that getting another watch right away spoils my enjoyment of it.

7. cvalue13 Mar 23, 2021

As it’s the 50th anniversary, all the market watches say you should just assume the Explorer line is getting updated.

They also seem to all agree that will occur during April...

8. RI Omega Fan Mar 23, 2021

Why haven’t you tried on your friend’s Explorer?

9. JwRosenthal Mar 23, 2021

I think you would more likely find a birthyear Explorer (which I would think far cooler) by May, than a new one which wouldn’t probably be available until after your child finishes grad school.
    Or you can walk into an Omega Boutique and walk out with a Seamaster or Speedmaster today.

vbrad26 and cvalue13 like this.
  10. vbrad26 Mar 23, 2021

Old Explorers > New Explorers

watch3s and TJH like this.
  11. gnuyork Mar 23, 2021

He's in another state. Not possible at the moment. I should clarify...forum friend, but I have actually met him in person once, and talked on the phone a few times.

Edited Mar 23, 2021
    RI Omega Fan likes this.
  12. gnuyork Mar 23, 2021

I could be wrong, but I thought it was the 50th anniversary for the Exp II.

marcn likes this.
  13. cvalue13 Mar 23, 2021

Definitely not wrong

But the release wonks all talk as if Rolex will take the 50th of the II as an opportunity to update the entire line (perhaps even into a III)

14. Toad Cottonheadedninnymuggins Mar 25, 2021

The older explorers are 36mm which are a bit to small.
    Agree on the speedmaster. That’s probably what I’m going to do, he’s into engineering, flying and space exploration.
    Thanks all.

15. JwRosenthal Mar 25, 2021

Then Speedy is far more appropriate, and available