Forums Latest Members

Explorer 2 one of the sleeper Rolexs or just undesirable???

1. Castle4444 Apr 5, 2018

So after popping in to 2 of my local AD’s for a nosey and to see where I am on a couple of lists, I noticed both had a white and black dialled Explorer 2 ref:216570. I decided to try on of the black dialled over the white as 90% of my collection is dark dialed (just my preference) But I was pleasantly suprised how nice these models are, with a beautiful matt black dial which is more in keeping with my increased vintage passion and the 42mm case not too over powering like I thought it might be.
    So here’s the question!!!!????? With this being a stainless sports model, why is it not in higher demand??? Being perfectly honest I’ve never given it a lookin purely based on the fact it’s seen less desirable and easy to get hold off.
    So here’s my thought, with not many being sold due to people opting towards a sub or gmt, I assume less will be out there and dare I say when Rolex cease to make these, will they become collectible? Let’s be honest the paul Newman Daytona back in the day couldn’t be given away!! Haha!!
    Interested to here people’s thoughts????

7012FE3C-8D49-47B6-9A67-F57BD7EBFA44.jpeg

Riviera Paradise, alam and cicindela like this.
  2. NWNL Apr 5, 2018

I think they never will be a real collectible, same goes for the older Explorer. Only the Steve Mcqueen is now much more expensive. But this model has been in production over a long period of time and there are too much available.... but you never know with Rolex

Castle4444 likes this.
  3. Castle4444 Apr 5, 2018

It does have that McQueen look in my opinion. I hate to think how many subs compared to a explorer 2 are currently available!? just saying ;0)

4. vbrad26 Apr 5, 2018

I honestly prefer the older version with the not so huge (and orange) 24hr. hand.
    However my father does have the one pictured above and it is quite nice.
    I wouldn't mind a white dial version for myself...
    In fact, aside from the Milgauss, it is probably the only other Rolex I'd ever buy.

watch3s, Castle4444 and htiek like this.
  5. htiek Apr 5, 2018

For a GMT I never found it that attractive. A classic GMT Master II, or the new Tudor Black Bay GMT would be my choice

frederico and Castle4444 like this.
  6. sgrossma Apr 5, 2018

My issue with the watch (both 5 and 6 digit ref) is that the bezel often gets scratched... Its just not great for every day use IMO if you want to keep your watch looking pristine.

Starman71 and Castle4444 like this.
  7. Jonathan40 Apr 5, 2018

Like as already been said here, plenty made as Rolex pop out 1m plus watches per year and they were not doing that in the 60’s 70’s so the old Orange explorers were rare even then and now even more so. Hence the prices.
    These are the only sports model in steel over the last 2 years always available at Heathrow when I’ve been flying out.
    Don’t buy it to make a buck as you won’t for many years.
    Good luck with your decision.

Castle4444 likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Apr 5, 2018

I ♥️ that watch. Only the Root Beer GMT is higher on my list.

(did you hear that @cicindela? :D)

Uniqez and Castle4444 like this.
  9. Castle4444 Apr 5, 2018

Love the root beer too!! Also high on my list :0)

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 5, 2018

Can’t speak for the latest 42mm version, but the 40mm Exp-II I had just wasn’t all that special. Mine was a 2008 black dial, the lume was poor, it scratched easily, the crystal suffered glare and the bracelet felt rattley. I could go on but several cheaper Omega models like the SMP GMT or 2201.50 felt leagues better in terms of quality. I am sure some if not al of these concerns have been addressed with the latest version but the fact remains I was underwhelmed and won’t rush back to a Rolex sports watch, though I appreciate the Exp-II is the entry level model in that part of the catalogue.

Edited Apr 6, 2018
    Castle4444 likes this.
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 5, 2018

As long as we are expanding the thread (OK thread drift :D) , here's an other. Any suggestions for more?:rolleyes:

Root7.jpg

12. Sculler22 Apr 5, 2018

5 Digit Explorer II Polar dial watches were off the radar screen for a long time. Over the last year, people have started to appreciate them, and the prices have moved up accordingly. I recently read a comment that these were the most un-Rolex of Rolex sport watches, and that is the appeal for many who want a superior watch without appearing to be conspicuous consumers.

amiriqbal, 77deluxe and Castle4444 like this.
  13. jimmyd13 Apr 5, 2018

I've owned the "polar" version for a while now and I really enjoy it. 40mm is a great size for me; the GMT is a great complication... despite being rough with watches, I've never marked it; the cyclops suits it ... in fact, there's nothing I don't like about it.

eEwp34Z.jpg

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 5, 2018

The 1533 was my grail and I went into the store to try on the this orange hand explorer II when it was released. I left with a Orange Planet Ocean Chrono.

This one just doesn’t do it for me. And now the 1533 is ruined as someone pointed out the very hard to read dial... I can’t unsee the dial issue on it now.

Castle4444 likes this.
  15. Castle4444 Apr 5, 2018

Perfect with the nipple dial

Tet likes this.
  16. Foxy100 Apr 5, 2018

I love mine, bought it because it wasn't a Sub and because five years ago the BLNR hadn't quite come out yet.

Uniqez and Castle4444 like this.
  17. Mathlar Apr 5, 2018

I just bought one and love it. I have to admit it was far more accessible than the BLNR. But it was the watch that turned me from hating the cyclops to loving it.

The modern solid link oyster bracelet is sheer class. I also love the size of the dial and the strength of the lume which glows pale blue all night long.

I hope to pass it down to my son. With some real character from all the dings to the bezel as it swings pendulum-like at the end of my clumsy arms!

Castle4444 likes this.
  18. larryganz The cable guy Apr 5, 2018

I’ve owned 4 Explorer II with ages from 1991 to 2014, in black and polar, and my 42mm Polar is my favorite, although I also prefer the 42mm black dial over either of the 40mm versions.

I sold my black 40mm V-serial with 3186 a couple of weeks ago and it’s funding a large part of the #ST I have arriving tomorrow.

Riviera Paradise and Castle4444 like this.
  19. gostang9 Apr 5, 2018

My wife bought me an Explorer II 216570 a few years ago. It is my only GMT and I use it all the time when I travel (work and pleasure). I wanted something very legible and I find the dial very easy to read. I wanted both date and GMT functions, and I liked the Explorer II a lot more than the modern GMT master II’s with ceramic bezels. I tried on many different watches, and this one checked all the boxes for me. Have not regretted it for a minute.

Oh, and the small bit of orange is real nice! ;)

Old photo recently posted in another thread...
    CF466DBA-D650-4296-A006-49E61C4BF5C6.jpeg

20. 77deluxe Apr 5, 2018

Sleeper. I think they will become desirable. I’ve been watching prices tick up and up.