Forums Latest Members
  1. mac_omega Mar 22, 2018

Hello to those in the know.

Please help me to identify Omega case makers by their embossed number codes.

Does anybody of you know one or more of these watchmakers:

5 ... should be Georges Croisier - can anybody confirm?

we discussed already the case maker codes on French cases without success:

JP
    HSP
    HGF

has anybody gained more insight/knowledge in the meantime?

Any help would be greatly appreeciated.

Thanks
    Erich

Edited Mar 22, 2018
  2. Vitezi Mar 22, 2018

You are talking about Swiss gold case maker's marks? David Boettcher's resource lists casemakers for those numbers under the Geneva key hallmark:
    4 Antoine Gerlach SA
    5 Genevor SA
    29 Weber & Cie. SA

These are listed under the hammer head hallmark:
    108 Jacques Beiner / Roger Parel SA
    115 Manufacture Favre & Perret SA
    117 Guillod Gunther SA
    141 Gabus Frères, Oracier SA

akshayluc420 and mac_omega like this.
  3. mac_omega Mar 22, 2018

Thank you very much for your fasst reply and the link - this is very helpful.

Obviously my info concerning number 5 was wrong...

best regards

Erich

4. Vitezi Mar 22, 2018

Do you have any pictures of these hallmarks?
    There are some 31 different "JP" French hallmarks so a photograph might help narrow down the maker.

5. mac_omega Mar 22, 2018

Unfortunately the photos are rather small, so some of the hallmarks are tiny and hard to read.

Hope you can decipher something.

hallmarks.jpg JP.jpg HGF.jpg HSP.jpg PGF.jpg

thanks a lot for your help.

6. Vitezi Mar 22, 2018

The JP mark does not appear to match a description or photograph of a corresponding JP hallmark in France's Ministry of Culture database of jewelry, goldsmiths or silversmith hallmarks. I cannot say for sure that watch case manufacturer hallmarks are included in the database.

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 22, 2018

Quadrophenic-Schizophrenia (marker).

8. Vitezi Mar 22, 2018

I think the "HGF" is actually PGF. In this thread @François Pépin speculated that PGF was a generic name for a group of casemakers that could have been collectively referred to as Production Générale Française.

In another thread on a different forum, it was speculated that the "G" is not a G at all, but instead is a symbol separating the initials P and F as was commonly done in French hallmarks. For example the manufacturer Pierre Fondary had a hallmark featuring a "fountain" symbol that looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    Not quite a G, but you get the idea. I looked at several different "PF" hallmarks but saw no symbol that I thought looked like a G. Just for giggles I looked for other combinations (PFG, PG, etc) but found nothing of note either.

The HSF mark is hard to read from the picture above. It is likely two initials separated by a symbol, but we need a better image.

François Pépin likes this.
  9. Vitezi Mar 22, 2018

Here's another example of a hallmark that resembles the PGF mark, this time on a gold buckle. The "G" looks a little different doesn't it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (thanksPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)

mac_omega likes this.
  10. Banner Roar Jun 25, 2018

interesting list of case makers........looking down the list it includes Patek Philippe. Did Patek make cases for Omega?

11. François Pépin Oct 13, 2018

Hi,

Sorry to answer only now - I have been away from the forum for several months!

Actually, I currently think you are right: the G is not a G. I have stated that in a previsous post - cannot find it right now. But I could not find a maker whose initials are PF and whose logo looks like a G.

Vitezi likes this.