Forums Latest Members

(EXPERTS on Dial Feet) Omega Enamel Dial for Lebanon, with painting of the Temple of Baalbek.

1. SgWatchBaron Mar 12, 2016

Hello guys!

So the Omega Museum, rejected servicing my watch. Due to the fact that the dial feet are damaged, and they would possibly destroy the unique enamel dial, by trying to solder(?) the dial feet back in place. Here are pictures of the watch, and also the email thread by Omega themselves confirming the authenticity of the watch and the problems it has (to help alleviate any fears of the dial/watch being a fake).

Could someone kindly point me to an expert in the repair of dial feet? I would like to repair this watch and wear it, without fear of the dial feet coming off.

♚ SingaporeanWatchBaron ♚

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 12, 2016

Would be interesting to hear if feet can be resecured with epoxy; maybe there is an alternative to soldering if a foot were to break off.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 12, 2016

Tritium likes this.
  4. SgWatchBaron Mar 12, 2016

5. SgWatchBaron Mar 14, 2016

Anybody else care to chime in? I'll pay top dollar to the person who can repair my dial feet.

6. WatchVaultNYC Mar 14, 2016

So whats the story behind the watch? Is it a one-off?

7. tyrantlizardrex Mar 14, 2016

Just a couple of points...

That appears to be an email, from someone, somewhere (who isn't identified in the email), to someone who works for Swatch Group called Serene.

I see no claim of it being authentic, I've also not heard of the Omega museum putting values on watches.

As far as I understand the Omega Museum don't carry out repairs.

The language they (whoever they are) use implies that they would replace the dial, rather than repair it.

So that doesn't mean it can't be repaired, it means whoever sent the email to the person in Swatch group, can't repair it.

Irrespective of what this is, and who made the dial, you're probably better off speaking to someone that restores enamel dialled pocket watches....

chronos and Willem023 like this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 14, 2016

Sounds like you need a pedialtrist...

The email to Swatch Group Singapore was likely sent from Bienne. This would be a Cat. 4 watch so it is mandated to go back to Bienne if the servicing is kept within the Swatch Group. The reference to the museum was likely the servicing group at Bienne confirming authenticity of the watch with the museum as I expect they don't see these every day, and Omega will always confirm authenticity (if in doubt) before they start a repair.

As to who can do the repair, well that's a tough one. I expect no one will want to touch this (including Omega) for fear that if it gets damaged they will be on the hook for the value of the watch.

Cheers, Al

RawArcher and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 14, 2016

[​IMG]

10. M'Bob Mar 15, 2016

Actually quite witty.

11. Willem023 Mar 15, 2016

Hey guys, I must be a very sceptical person and all that, but is it custom for Omega (Museum) to valuate a watch? ::confused2::

I have had some emails back and forth with Bienne, and without exception, their English is impeccable -better than mine. Might be the 'someone, telling someone' etc., but 'likely the servicing group at Bienne confirming authenticity of the watch with the museum", mmmm, I would like to see some more details and all, to meander in that direction. With all due respect (and I mean that!!!) to @Archer :thumbsup:.

On the dial itself: I have done some enameling in the far past, and usual, the enamel 'flows' evenly on the surface, while being in the furnace. Even if there is an uneven underground, it is not likely (as in 'never') to end up with an un-even surface. Let alone the bubbling between the 3 and 4 o'clock markers.
    And if scratched, the enamel will hold its color, which seems to be scratched off, around the 2 o'clock marker. And the process of painting enamel is 'de facto' useless IMO, since it will hold very badly -unless you fire it up again, and you will have a much better, deeper color when you do the enamel right the first time.

Few other things: the 11 o'clock marker is of a different measure as the others, the 2 is missing (obviously...) the 3 is askew (....), the gold-color paint near the point of the 10 is repaired (rather clumsily), as well as visible of loss of 'green' next to the 10 o'clock marker.
    Raised some doubts in my mind if the dial is enamel. But that might be me only.

Questions, questions, I know, but that is why we are here on this Forum, unless I am mistaken ::screwloose::

Edited Mar 15, 2016
    chronos likes this.
  12. cristos71 Mar 15, 2016

You're right to be skeptical, I don't believe a word of it either

chronos, STANDY and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  13. tyrantlizardrex Mar 15, 2016

I'm just going to come out and say it....

Someone put that dial on that watch, I doubt that anyone here thinks it was Omega.

And for anyone to pay £5,000 for it, they'd have to be on a serious amount of drugs.

Somewhere in the region of the body weight of 6 uncles.

Slevin kelevra likes this.
  14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 15, 2016

Me three!

chronos likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 15, 2016

To be clear, I am making no comments about the authenticity of the watch or these specific communications - only relaying what the process would be.

If this actually was "refused" repair it's not likely because of possible damage to the dial...

16. Willem023 Mar 15, 2016

Pfwee, and I did my utmost to be 'balanced' and 'thoughtful' -which I shall maintain in other cases to come (pun intended)
    :taunt:

@Archer : thanks, I hoped you would be explicit on this... :D

17. tzachi Mar 19, 2016

great way to "present" a watch to the market....
    especially by someone joined on : Joined Mar 12, 2016
    be careful out there...