Forums Latest Members
  1. fred72 Nov 16, 2014

Hello,
    I need some help with this Speedmaster, it is located in another country so I can only judge by the pictures. Does it look ok, no relumed dial or strange parts?
    Your honest opinions of this watch would help me a lot, been looking for a 105012-66 for a long time now.
    I have no reason to doubt the seller, just to be on the safe side.
    Thanks and have a good day.
    //Fred

IMG_0388.JPG IMG_0391.JPG omega speedmaster 321  14.10.2014 001 (2).JPG Omega speedmaster 66 006.JPG
  2. repoman Nov 16, 2014

I'll take the first crack at this, bear in mind I'm no expert so comments coming after mine from an expert would certainly need to be taken with more regard... First thing is that these pictures are really insufficient for a full evaluation; we would need a clear top shot that shows the entire bezel, case back shot, both sides of the case, a full bracelet shot, a shot of the inner case back, adn finally they money shot is the movement with serial # visible.

With the limited information available from the pictures provided, and my rank amateur evaluation, I would say its a very nice piece: the case looks like a '66 CB case and looks to be in very good condition with the "step" not polished out; bezel also looks to be in beautiful original condition. The dial is the right type (stepped, applied logo, spaced-T, long lume markers) but the lume looks a little suspicious, with the 4 and 5 hour markers show very typical discoloration and shrinkage, and the remaining hours looking quite different (no real discoloration, but do show shrinkage) - maybe a relume at some point? Hard for me to say. Hesalite crystal looks good, even if replaced at some point I think its fine. Pushers and crown look almost too good, possible replacements, but they look correct from what I can see. Hands are what get my attention, all the hands are in remarkable like new condition.... the hour and minute hands look too good for this age, possibly luminova replacement hands. Chrono seconds hand is the right style but again looks incredibly good for this age. subdial hands all in new condition. 1039 bracelet looks good. The extra case back and bezel are modern replacements and not very interesting.

From what can be seen from these pics, and depending on price, I'd say that's a pretty good '66

3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2014

It's suspiciously clean & the service parts in pic 4 indicate you need to check it out more closely. Need pics of the 90 side of the bezel, case back inside & outside & movement as a minimum. A head on pic of the dial and hands would be good- to see if the hands might be replacements too. They look cleaner than the dial.

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. marturx Nov 16, 2014

Those service parts raises questions.

Also notice in the second picture, that the hour register hand is different from in the other 2 pictures. Strange.

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. Georgieboy58 Nov 16, 2014

What at first glance looks like a leaf hour counter hand in the second picture is actually the end of the chrono second hand.

Edited Nov 16, 2014
  6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 16, 2014

I cannot give an accurate assesment based on these photos.
    I don't like the look of the service parts.
    The hands are new.
    The pushers look right, at least.
    It's also dependant on the price.
    From what I see, I would not be a buyer.

JohnSteed likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 16, 2014

Omega does not sell just the bezel insert, so be careful that the insert is a genuine one and not aftermarket.

8. fred72 Nov 16, 2014

Another photo. I believe the extra caseback is because the original one on the watch has an engraving, but it is the correct CB stamping.
    If the dial is ok and the only issue is that the hands are new then I still might be interested. Very hard to find a perfect 105012-66 with CB case, but if someone have one for sale I´m interested!
    //Fred

IMG_0389.JPG Omega speedmaster 66 015 (2).JPG
  9. JohnSteed Nov 16, 2014

...until more photos are provided, esp the movement as said above.

10. JohnSteed Nov 16, 2014

Fred - find out also whether the engraving is of any significance, as in whose name there? But seems enough here to warrant caution, the dial relume possibly?