Forums Latest Members

Experiences with vintage watch sales

1. Vanallard Jan 8, 2018

I figure that anyone who’s sold more than a few vintage watches has a funny, perhaps painful story to share about their experiences, whether it’s something common like an unreasonable buyer who expects quartz-like precision or proof that every piece is original to other strange or unique experiences.

I met with a gentleman a few months back who was interested in a watch I had listed for sale locally on Craigslist. We met, he liked the watch but said he didn’t have any money with him as his property management company had withdrawn money out of his account that day for strata/HOA fees (leaving him with less than the list price of $250 in his account... right). He said he would call in a couple of days when he was paid and pick up the watch - I knew this wouldn’t happen and that my dealings with this guy had been a waste of time. Nevertheless, he surprised me a few days later with the following text, which was kinda creepy but humbly appreciated :)

5063B22F-D8EA-4B8D-A282-E3E4F9D7FB04.jpeg
  2. strick9 Jan 8, 2018

Change your cell number move to another state

3. alam Jan 8, 2018

you will meet interesting characters via Craiglist, sort of the same characters you may find traveling on Greyhound buses... :)

4. Rman Jan 8, 2018

Craigslist is like casual sex with a stranger, it didn’t cost you anything but use caution and protect yourself :coffee:

I recently sold my wife’s car and had a very smooth transaction.

George.A and watchdaddy1 like this.
  5. Vanallard Jan 8, 2018

I've been asked on more than one occasion why I don't arrange viewings of watches at my home... ::screwloose::

EdtheAussie likes this.
  6. watchdaddy1 Jan 8, 2018

Most Craigslist's buyers are fruitcakes. I've had 3 dealing just like yours. 1 in particular who didn't have any $$ or intention of buying it he said
    " I just wanted to see it as I've never seen an expensive watch b4"....WTF & this was after multiple & I mean multiple back & forth messages w/ him.
    The other 2 didn't even bother showing up to our agreed meeting place. NEVER again will I personally deal w/ Craigslist.
    Letgo & OfferUp are becoming the same types of caliber of people & buyers IMO

watch3s likes this.
  7. watchdaddy1 Jan 8, 2018

8. 77deluxe Jan 8, 2018

Craigslist is can be a minefield.

9. strick9 Jan 8, 2018

Easy now I buy stuff from Craigslist you just have to realize if it sounds too good to be true it's a Craigslist killer. Sellers have to be careful not to get robbed. Hell I got my 2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200 for 500 bucks rode that bitch 45 miles home I was worried about the killer thing but brought my son with me and all was good

mayankyadav likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 8, 2018

Just take two buddies with you.

Use your manners and introduce them............

"Hi, this is Mr Smith and this is Mr Wesson."

11. BenBagbag Jan 8, 2018

I had a job where we did a lot of recruiting from Craigslist. It is super difficult. If we needed to schedule one person for an hour we would usually schedule 3 people knowing that 2 won't show up. Key is to build a rapport. I won't meet anyone who won't speak with me over the phone first.

If I'm buying, I'll always drive to meet them. If I'm selling, I'll try and find someone as close to me as possible and drive out to them, or make sure that they are there for the day (meet them at work etc.)

Craigslist is just super flaky...

12. BenBagbag Jan 8, 2018

Oh yeah, then I kill them.

MaiLollo and gdupree like this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 8, 2018

this is a very dark and disturbing thread.........:eek:

BenBagbag likes this.
  14. bd-chrono Jan 8, 2018

Pretty sure if you listed $100 dollar bills for sale on Craigslist for $50.00 all you would get would be people wanting to know "What is the least you would take?" and "Let me think about it.":confused:

Starman71 likes this.
  15. Starman71 Jan 8, 2018

I only use Craigslist when I have some junk I need hauled off. I take it down to the curb, post it for free, and watch the hunger games commence from a distance!

sxl2004 likes this.
  16. Vanallard Jan 8, 2018

I figured members would have some stories/opinions to share :D

17. strick9 Jan 8, 2018

Not opposed to that I have .40 And a nice .38 5 shot in S&W and live in Texas where you are expected to ventilate bad guys

flashlight.jpg
  18. river rat Jan 9, 2018

Craigslist is a place you want to sell a cheap quartz at Forum sells section or Ebay and some NAWCC marts and regionals were you want to sell the expensive stuff at and use a PO box as a address that way no one knows your address when you ship or receive watches.

19. Vanallard Jan 9, 2018

+1 - Luckily I am walking distance to a Starbucks which is where all of my Craigslist sales take place. I've made the mistake in the past (as was the case with the guy from my original post) of driving to locations that are more convenient for the prospective buyer. If the person is genuinely interested in buying the item you're selling, they will agree to meet where you specify.