Forums Latest Members
  1. Clausz Oct 21, 2018

Hi, I am new to Omega and purchased my first watch 2 months ago (Aug 2018) when I was visiting Istanbul.
    The purchase was not well planned as I was considering other brand but couldn't get it in Istanbul.
    (I read about the quality and accuracy of PO movement before though).

I ended up buying PO 600m Calibre 8500 co axial chronometer Model 23292422103001.
    However when I visited OB near my city, I was told that my new watch is old model and OB do not carry this model anymore.

After several research I found several things that concern me:
    1) I bought my watch at OB Nisantasi Istanbul but why does my warranty card show Rotap chop instead?
    Rotap is listed as Omega AD in Turkey but the store I bought my watch is OB Nisantasi, as below.
    OMEGA Boutique
    Abdi İpekçi Cad. No:65/A Maçka
    Teşvikiye, Nişantaşı
    34367 Istanbul

2) Does OB allowed to sell old model watch?

3) I read that price in OB is fixed and no discount is given.
    However I found out that the price I purchased is higher than the recommended retail price.
    Do Omega really control the watch price in OB?

Hope that somebody could clarify this.

Thanks

20181022_025850.jpg
    superfly likes this.
  2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 21, 2018

Hi Clausz;

Would you give us a peek at your new watch acquisition?

3. flw history nerd Oct 21, 2018

I can't answer questions #1 or #3. However, I believe that an OB would be able to sell a discontinued model if it were NOS (new, old stock). A look on the Omega website, though, shows that this is still a current model.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 21, 2018

Some OB’s are run by jewelers not omega. Not uncommon for recently discontinued models to still be available esp when still listed on the website at OB’s.

As for selling above msrp... that is surprising

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 22, 2018

Serial number checks out fine...

Serial number: 86921796
    Article ref: 23292422103001
    Version of movement: 8500B

Not shown on the Omega web site as a current model that I can see. There are 27 Titanium PO's listed, and none have this reference number, so it does seem to be a previous model.

6. flw history nerd Oct 22, 2018

I wonder if availability differs from country to country. The US version of the Omega website seems to suggest that you can order it directly from Omega: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/...cean-600m-omega-co-axial-42-mm-23292422103001

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 22, 2018

8. flw history nerd Oct 22, 2018

I simply entered the reference number into the search window ... it came right up.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 22, 2018

That's what I thought. I guess then it would depend on what you consider "current" in Omega's line up. I would not consider this a current model, although the watches may still be available.

Cheers, Al

flw likes this.
  10. flw history nerd Oct 22, 2018

Fair point. The soon-to-be-discontinued Seamaster Diver is still listed as available, until they sell the last of them, I suppose.

11. Clausz Oct 23, 2018

Thanks for the answers... a little bit dissapointed since I didnt know there is a newer model available at the time of purchase. Also after I read about the new calibre 8800 movement which is highly improved in accuracy.

I can find the watch on the website through search window but not through clicking on the collection link.

superfly likes this.
  12. superfly Oct 23, 2018

I hardly know what I'm talking about, but I don't think it's necessarily fair to suggest the 8800 (or 8900) has "highly improved accuracy." I've heard that many people observe accuracy with the 8500 within the METAS guidelines for accuracy. The anti-magnetic properties of the movements seem to be the bigger difference.

So, you've paid a premium for an older caliber. That almost seems to be the primary goal for many people on this forum.;) (Just joking around, and poking fun at the vintage collectors who pay for old and damaged watches.)

Once your kids or grand kids are wearing that watch, no one is going to care about the movement details. In fact, I would guess you will not care very shortly, unless you're walking around magnetic fields all the time.

Edited Oct 23, 2018
    amirw likes this.